HybridZ

Got a referee ticket lmao!!!

RS Speed

Sheriff pulled my brother over (I was passenger) for a modified exhaust. He said its illegal to have a modified exhaust in california and asked for us to pop the hood... you should have seen his face hahahaah. He was like "holly ****... uhh these pipes don't have carb eo numbers on them" I'm thinking how about that fire breathing dragon the pipes are attached too lol. So he writes us up for "modified smog device" and exhaust.

Went to the ref and the guy said the cop was bored for messing with us and hes only had a few classic cars in his 10 years working there but it happens. Regardless there's pretty much nothing he could do for us, sent us on our way. Pretty much gonna get a lawyer to drop it or pay the fine... whichever is cheaper but I've put over 30k miles on my Z already so its a small price to pay I guess haha.

pic of engine bay for reference... lol

rb25det240z.jpg

Edited by RS Speed

"Went to the ref and the guy said the cop was bored for messing with us and hes only had a few classic cars in his 10 years working there but it happens. Regardless there's pretty much nothing he could do for us, sent us on our way. Pretty much gonna get a lawyer to drop it or pay the fine... "

What does this mean? The Referee should have been able to 'clear' your ticket. If he didn't, then it means that your registration can be revoked and your car becomes an expensive paperweight.

A lawyer won't get it dropped, it's black letter law when it comes to conversions. The older cars are not exempt from compliance only bi-annual testing. You have a non-USA engine in there, and that is a sticking point.

I had the same issue years ago when I had a low-S/N engine in my 73, because it was a "non USA Market L24" I had to install all applicable Smog Devices for 1973 before it would pass through the referee.

While that testing provision has changed over the years, the compliance process has not. It's not a laughing matter, a lawyer probably isn't going to be able to do anything for you, you DO have 'an altered smog device', and you are still required to be compliant with applicable smog rules for the year of your chassis and/or engine.

Understand me, I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to just sniffer test and go (PM Me...PLEASE!), but that is the way the law is written for a daily driver. If you choose to fight the way the Smog Compliance system is set up, good luck. Some sanity needs to come to it.

But if the referee didn't clear you, a lawyer can't! The only way for clearance is compliance with the SMOG Laws (and PM me...PLEASE!)

Crazy ! Just chalk it up to Cali going broke and ticketing the BS stuff ! I mean what's the point of ticketing for modified exhaust piping if not to make money ? Its a legal guaranteed money scam for Cali IMHO !

I can only imagine whats going to happen when I get my turbo LS 4.8 in my Z !

If the ref didnt sign your ticket off your screwed.I used to have a smog license here in california.There are not very many ways to get around the law and your legal bills will end up being more than the car is worth.In california even though your car is too old to have to have bi-annual inspection the law still states thst the car be in original condition.How may 60's muscle cars are oem condition?The LEO'S seem to have a soft spot for american muscle cars and harley davidson motorcycles.Your car's vin# now has a criminal record in california.Please keep us posted on any updates to your problem.

I got one before on my 280z. What I did was put it on non op status then re-registered it again. Problem went away. Showed the court my non-op and it was clear. I didn't need my car so it wasn't really a big deal for me.

This is why I opted for a very stock looking 3" exhaust, saves a lot of potential hassle as cops mostly look at the muffler first then go from there.

Edited by jakeoster

This is not rocket science,

PLEASE P.M. me!!!

As for the comment on 'illegal exhaust' there is a very defined testing procedure to determine if the exhaust meets the legal sound limits in CA, and the CHP can test for it. If you are tested and found compliant, there are NO fees generated for the states.

Don't make this a political commentary---there IS a valid point here on Smog Compliance which he's apparently laughing off and it really is a serious situation. My understanding is John C recently did an SR20 Conversion in a 510 which is Smog-Legal.

With a US Spec engine, it's not a real big deal to comply...

But non US stuff it gets sticky. This ticket can be the end of legal registration in the state. It's not to be taken lightly. But paying a fine is not the end of it...especially if the Referee has now logged you into the SMOG system from his visit.

As Randy says, if the Ref 'couldn't do anything for you' that was the death-knell of your registration of the vehicle.

It's not a laughing matter. But compliance is not that hard, and there ARE legal avenues to TRY...don't know if they will work. The exhaust ticket was something black and white easily gotten out of with a simple dB testing. But altered Smog Device? Oh that makes it a bit more complicated!

I'm curious if the Referee did his due diligence and completed a WHOLE Smog Testing Routine on the vehicle, or if he simply looked at it visually and blew him off.

It DOES make a difference. There ARE some situations where if he did that, your best bet is to go to court and plead in a specific way. But he NEEDS TO PM ME to discuss it off-forum, and then can post the results later for the benefit of everyone else.

So PLEASE, P.M. me!

Man, That sucks. As Tony says a lawyer wont be any help. It has to pass the ref, and the ref wont let it fly without a USDM swap from any newer car or the original engine with all functioning smog equipment re-installed.

Its been discussed here extensively actually. We(encompassing 1961-1975 vehicle owners) are exempt from Bi Annual testing for compliance, but not except from compliance itself.

Very unfortunate! I feel for you man. This is the exact reason I do not ever clean my muffler and am tempted to never paint my car.

I really doubt the officer was just being a '****'. You've been royally drop kicked in the balls as the laws are stacked against you.

honestly IMO the easiest way to clear it all up will be to install a stock motor and deal with the hassle of all the welding and motor brackets. At least you will be able to re-install the RB again later and be ok again. As your ref confirmed these kinds of tickets are rare for older cars.

Did some reading and asked a friend of mine which had 5 ref tickets on his integra and it looks like I can just pay the fine and be on my way (~$400-$650)... pretty much what the referee told us too. My idea with the lawyer was not to fight this case, rather drop the case due to some legal mumbo jumbo... $$$ talks in this town folks, gotta pay to play!

I do not think you can do that. The court is going to ask you to produce proof that you fixed it or put it on non-op.

At least that's how it is in my area.

But anyway why waste that kind of money? Non op as soon as you can, take to court, and your charges will be dropped in addition to not having to pay the fine. Then reregister it right after that.

Us Cali guys are a lot better off just putting a stockish looking muffler on our cars and avoiding this drama. From my experience cops normally go off the look of the muffler. If you gotta big cannon on the back it makes it easy for em.

I do not think you can do that. The court is going to ask you to produce proof that you fixed it or put it on non-op.

At least that's how it is in my area.

But anyway why waste that kind of money? Non op as soon as you can, take to court, and your charges will be dropped in addition to not having to pay the fine. Then reregister it right after that.

Us Cali guys are a lot better off just putting a stockish looking muffler on our cars and avoiding this drama. From my experience cops normally go off the look of the muffler. If you gotta big cannon on the back it makes it easy for em.

you can't even see my muffler from behind, its tucked up, looks pretty much stock. The guy was just bored. I might give the No-op thing a try i guess and see what happens.. I'll keep you guys posted.

The problem you will find is that the court system will put a hold on your registration until they get notification in some way(ref signing it off). So DMV will put the registration on hold and your current registration will be invalid as well until you jump through the hoops. This will be whether or not you have paid the ticket off or not and Im about 90% sure that the non-opp option isnt a solution either. Explore Tony's options... There are legal loop holes.

I just love how people blame California and say 'thats why I left". All you did by leaving was make it worse. We no longer have you to vote, and all the stupid laws here in Cali and a few other choice states get picked up by the other states that need money as well. Thanks being part of the problem(only half serious) and I hope your state adopts our stupid laws... lol(again only half serious).

Personally if it were my car, Id get a L-series that was in good stock shape, fab up the mounts so the L series bolts up to the RB isolators and shove it back in for inspection... Id leave the EFI components on the car and disconnected. Swap in a proper fuel pump and go. After getting back from the ref, swap all the RB stuff back in and put the L series aside(just in case). If anyone you know has this same issue with a similar Z, rent the engine out... Makes the swap as easy as Honda swaps and so it could be done in a couple hours. If you ever rent it out or get another ticket, youve made up your costs.

Ray

I'm getting different stories from different people so at the time being I'm just going to wait for the paperwork in the mail since I can't do much til then anyways. I've been thinking about selling it to fund some other projects I have in mind so this might just be catalyst to that. Regardless, I'll figure it out and I'm sure it will be fine.