HybridZ

Best intake manifold to use

Neveragain55

Hi Gang,

So I picked up a 1982 L28ET engine that I plan on rebuilding and I’m basically keeping it stock for the most part using Nissan engine internals as these parts are very reliable. Once it’s rebuilt, it’s going into the 1977 280Z I just bought.

I’m on the fence about using forged pistons with Moly rings but everything else like the cam, crank, valves, rockers, retainers and all other parts will remain stock.

I also plan on rebuilding the original turbo with a turbo rebuild kit from Garrett which is a hell of a lot more economical than spending $650.00 dollars on a new turbo.

The question I have for all of you concern's the intake manifold. As we all know the stock intake manifold is very messy with all kinds of attachment points, bung holes and other stuff that completely covers it and makes it look very ugly. Not planning on building a 300hp monster, just a modest rebuild that will make the car slightly faster than it currently is.

I’ve done a lot of research in this area and the general consensus seems to be to use a 1975 intake without the EGR at the end. Some say however that the intake runners on the 75 intake are too long for the turbo engine and the fuel mapping will be thrown off.

Please advise me if the 75 intake will work, how I can obtain these results and/or what would be the best intake manifold to use keeping in mind that I don’t have to worry about emissions because of the age of the car and the state I live in. I have attached some pictures to give you some idea of what I'm talking about.

I planned on getting rid of all the emission nonsense (sorry guys I’m not a tree hugger)

I also looked at the LoneWolf intake setup but I’m not sure.

As always, thanks in advance...........

post-24452-073798200 1320513114_thumb.jpg

post-24452-088455900 1320513129_thumb.jpg

post-24452-042860100 1320513156_thumb.jpg

post-24452-077918200 1320513175_thumb.jpg

There is no best. Rule 4:

4. There is no Best! No best tires. No best engine. No best shock. No best big chrome foot gas pedal. Every car builder and driver is in a different situation. What's good for one might suck for another. The decision on what is "best" for you and your car is completely up to you. As with any decision time, effort, and research is needed by the decision maker - you! Instead of asking what is "best", do some research, explain your situation in excruciating detail, and describe what alternatives you're considering in your decision. Posting a thread with "What's the best..." in the title it is a sure way to get that post tossed into the Tool Shed.

Wow…………… :huh:

Ok, let me first apologize by saying that the title for the post was written poorly based on what I was truly looking for. I’m not nor was I looking for advice on “which†intake manifold would be the best as much as I was looking for advice on how well, if at all the N47 intake would work with the F54/P90 turbo engine set up, and how I could clean up the look of the intake.

If you got past the title, and read the post you would have been able to glean more accurately what I was looking for from the content. Sorry if the title offended you, as it obviously did.

While I appreciate the fact that somebody replied, the sarcasm and low budget put down on my choice of the word “best†in the "quote" was really rude and even kinda mean in my opinion.

But hey……………………thanks for playing……………… ;)

• Like 1

Don't take offense man...rules are rules. I haven't personally done this but the intake you're referring to will be fine and more aesthetically pleasing since that's what you're after. If you want a "little" more power you just need to get a boost gauge and turn the boost up a couple PSI.

300HP is by no means "monstrous" for the L28ET either.

Forged pistons seem like a big waste of money for the moderate bump in power you want. Why keep everything else bone stock and waste money on high end pistons??

You asked about the best manifold at the end of your post also, not just in the title. Don't dig your self a deeper hole, your post could be locked and in the Tool Shed already. The "quote" is directly from the Rules post, which all new people are supposed to read (but many don't) - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Post #3 in the following thread is along the lines of what you're asking - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/95316-braaps-l6-efi-induction-advice-and-tips/

My bad gang, I truly do apologize.

I didn’t read the rules page and I had no idea the word “best†could or would ever ignite so much passion.

You all make good points and I appreciate the advice.

I’ve found a lot more information on this subject since I wrote my last post and I have a much better idea of how all the different intakes work.

Think twice before you go with a non-webbed intake manifold, and make sure you include the heat shield too. There's a lot of heat from the turbo and it's not hard to heat soak the fuel rail and injectors on hot days. The fuel will heat up becoming less dense and the O2 correction may not have enough range to compensate. Hot restarts can be more difficult as well. Nissan added the FI fan on later models to address this, even with the webbed manifold and heat shield.

You'll need to choose form vs. function.

Thanks 19762802+2,

I’ve read some articles and seen some threads on using the set up that you referred to over fuel injection and a couple of guys even made claims that using the triple carbs with the stacks made the car run better.

I have to admit I’m a little skeptical only because of the efficiency of fuel injection but I don’t have enough experience in the arena to say for sure. My strong suit is the bare mechanicals of it all. I’m not an expert when it comes to fuel systems or electrics. I need to do some more research on the carburetor options though and I appreciate the advice.

Zmanco,

I completely see where you’re coming from regarding heat shields and heat soaking the fuel rail. I was told by some very good mechanics in Florida where I once lived and owned my first Z car (a 1983 Turbo) that turbo’s don’t like the heat, and sure enough my 83 ran funky on the super hot days.

I live in Connecticut, and I only plan on driving this car on the weekends in the spring, summer, and fall. I’m not overly concerned about extremely hot days but you raise some really good points. The only thing I would say is that there seems to be a heck of a lot of people running the N42 and N47 web-less manifolds on turbo set ups with engines that are pumping out a heck of a lot more horsepower than my engine ever will.

So I have to assume that if the web-less manifolds are that much of a problem with turbo’s, a lot less people would be using them.

But once again, I am new to all of this and I will research your points further and they are very much appreciated.

Thank you both for taking the time to help………………

Edited by Neveragain55

I have an N42 manifold, I have all the aforementioned problems, hard hot starts, fuel heat soak, etc. It's not a deal breaker for me, turning O2 correction on in the MS helped some, but I'd like to add a fuel cooler on the return line near the tank. I'd also like to wrap the exhaust manifold and intake, even at modest boost levels it's easy to get a dull glow going, not visible in daylight, but dusk and dark it's pretty visible.

Thanks for the input letitsnow, and I'll definitely be researching the N42 intake a lot more before I make my final decision. Sounds like you’re on your way to getting rid of all the teething issues and sorting it all out. Good luck.

Cygnusx1,

I'm very aware of you guys and I've read a lot of your threads. I actually bought this engine off of EvilZ.

Any advice or info you can share would be really helpful. I've been wrenching on cars for about 32 years and this is my third Z, but me first rebuild of a Z motor.

Thanks, Guys...........

Just need to remember that hundreds of people end up here asking silly questions without putting in any real effort (eg search). The people that litterally have put thousands of hours helping people out tend to get easily irrate about people that take advantage of (usually not knowing) of their help. Thus the response you got and why a snippy response isn't appreciated. Now you know and you'll find that due dilligence on your part will typically be responded to with equall effort by the experts.

If you search around you'll find that the intake runners are 53% the cross sectional area of the intake runners (http://forums.hybrid...__1#entry630912)

Another option. Take whatever manifold you have and port and polish it. Remove the back of the plenum and port and polish the back side as well then weld the back back on again. A die grinder, rasp bit and one inch flapper wheel works great. I used a cut off wheel to open the back of mine up and the guy I had weld the piece back in said the cast alluminum on these manifolds was really easy to work with without a lot of porosity.

post-6495-064624100 1321076720_thumb.jpg

I de-webbed mine and modified my heat shield to keep the heat out of the manifold. Wrapping the turbo inducer side in heat shielding as well as the log manifold and downpipe will significantly reduce the temperature under the hood.

post-6495-068258900 1321076976_thumb.jpg

post-6495-085744500 1321077008_thumb.jpg

Ah, then I am the one that helped EvilC pull the motor out.

I bought a turbo rebuild kit for $60 or so dollars, and the full engine rebuild kit for $550.

Check out www.rpmrons.com if you want a stock engine rebuild. He makes a nice complete kit with, quality, OEM level parts.

Edited by cygnusx1

northernautoparts.com has some great prices on parts. Complete gasket set from ITM for under $100. They also can order in the ITM hypereutectic pistons, rings and wrist pins for around $35 a piece (RY6140STD) including oversized pistons. These seem to be a very good value for the money especially for a street use engine.

Fric Frac,

The work you did is absolutely beautiful and it looks very professional. I appreciate the advice and I’ve seen other posts in other forums where others have done something similar to what you did but your's looks far superior. I’ve seen a lot of post's with people saying that the biggest restriction is the restrictive size of the runners on the intake. Also, thanks for the info on "northern auto parts."

I completely understand where you’re coming from regarding the research deal and you’re absolutely right. I made the mistake of not reading the forum rules regarding the word "best" and I apologized and still do apologize for that.

The problem is that when any of us see a post asking for help on a particular subject, none of us have the ability to know if the person asking for help hasn’t scoured the web already. So to “assume†that they haven’t is in my humble opinion a bit short-sighted.

I spend many hours on car forums and Google researching car related subjects, so I don’t think it’s fair for any of us to “assume†that people on forums haven’t taken the time to look or research things. I actually spent three weeks trying to find something on this subject before I wrote my post, and a lot of that time was spent in Hybrid Z.

Cygnusx1,

Thanks for your help, and thanks for being directly responsible in me getting this neat project. I’ll research the web site you gave me and keep you in the loop with my progress.

Edited by Neveragain55

Fric Frac,

The work you did is absolutely beautiful and it looks very professional. I appreciate the advice and I’ve seen other posts in other forums where others have done something similar to what you did but your's looks far superior. I’ve seen a lot of post's with people saying that the biggest restriction is the restrictive size of the runners on the intake. Also, thanks for the info on "northern auto parts."

I completely understand where you’re coming from regarding the research deal and you’re absolutely right. I made the mistake of not reading the forum rules regarding the word "best" and I apologized and still do apologize for that.

The problem is that when any of us see a post asking for help on a particular subject, none of us have the ability to know if the person asking for help hasn’t scoured the web already. So to “assume†that they haven’t is in my humble opinion a bit short-sighted.

I spend many hours on car forums and Google researching car related subjects, so I don’t think it’s fair for any of us to “assume†that people on forums haven’t taken the time to look or research things. I actually spent three weeks trying to find something on this subject before I wrote my post, and a lot of that time was spent in Hybrid Z.

Cygnusx1,

Thanks for your help, and thanks for being directly responsible in me getting this neat project. I’ll research the web site you gave me and keep you in the loop with my progress.

Lol - I'm a rank amature that reads a lot and loves learning. I believe Tony D's response to me regarding modding the manifold was basically it's not that complicatated just do it. I started out exactly the same way as you with the questions but all was forgiven once effort on my behalf was seen.

HybridZ is kinda different in some ways than other forums. There is definately a little more intollerance for the questions that have been already answered HOWEVER there is a HUGE amount of knowledge regarding mods to the Z series of cars here and the first offense or two is often overlooked - don't sweat the small stuff :) Keep us posted on the project - another living Z is worth it all :)