HybridZ

Recommendations on an inexpensive welder

Dershum

I'm looking for an inexpensive welder for simple body work, and possibly welding in a set of bad dog frame rails as I work along on my Z. Yes, I'm a newbie at welding, but I asked my grandfather (remotely) what he would recommend (since he's been welding longer than I've been alive) and he gave me a few ideas of what to look for.

In looking around, I ran across this one and was hoping someone might be able to tell me if this would be OK for what I'm trying to do:

http://www.grizzly.c...lder-115v/H6951

Thanks much!

I strongly recommend spending more money for a 110v welder and using wire with gas (MIG). Go on eBay and bid on items like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-SP-135T-K1873-1-MIG-Welder-/120848742202?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item1c2325773a

This is a reasonable option new, but you'll outgrow it quickly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINCOLN-ELECTRIC-HANDY-MIG-WIRE-WELDER-K2185-1-/320813588756?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item4ab1fae114

You can't go wrong with a Lincoln or a Miller.

Some of the welders I've been looking at are MIG welders that also just use flux-core wire, which doesn't require the gas. I'd kind of like to stay away from needing a large gas tank and cart for a few reasons. One, space as at a premium in my garage...it's a shared garage with my upstairs neighbor. It's a pretty big space (think three car garage but with just 2 doors), but with shelving for parts, workbench, and mostly-disassembled-Z, I'm kind of tight on space. Plus I need to keep a certain amount of open pathway so my neighbor can get to her car :)

Also I'm not sure how the Apt complex would feel about a big gas cylinder in the garage. I realize it's inert gas, but I don't want some maintenance idiot wandering by, seeing it and thinking it's a giant cylinder of something like oxygen or acetylene, and raising some sort of stupid fuss over it.

However, being able to grow into a setup that I can add a tank to later would be perfectly fine. Are these sorts of units generally of good quality? For example, this is the unit he was showing me in his grizzly catalog:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/110V-MIG-Welder/H8155

Keep an eye on craigs list for any of the big 3. If buying new the Hobart handler 140 is pretty tough to beat. The only gripe would be the tapped voltage control. Everything else rivals the other 2 big names. I was looking for one when I stumbled on a fresh post on CL. I ended up picking up a lincoln 135sp+ with a full 125 tank of argon, gloves, cart, and mask for $450. Looks to have been used once or twice. I couldn't walk away.

I would without a doubt be looking for something set up for gas out of the box.

If you have a local fleamarket go regularly. I picked my tank up for $20. I went to my local Tractor Supply (http://www.tractorsupply.com) and they have an exchange program where you bring them an empty tank and they give you their tank filled with gas for just the price of the gas.

When I went I had the small "D" sized tank if I remember correctly. That's what I paid to have filled and exchanged. I walked in the back and the local moron couldn't find any "D" sized. So he goes take the "C". I said I didn't pay for that and he was like just take it and go, it doesn't matter.

EDIT: Looking for those tank sizes I coudn't find it. I know I brought a 29" tank in and got a 38"

Edited by JSM

I'm surprised that the grizzly has so many settings for such a cheap welder, might not be a bad beginner choice as long as you are willing to shell out more for a better welder in the very close future.

If the body work requires a welder, it really isn't simple :P . For body panels mig really is a must, flux really just doesn't cut it for thinner stuff despite what they advertise, the allure of welding without a tank is very very quickly offset by the amount of slag and finishing work you have to do, that is if you don't blow through first.

But I have to agree with everyone above, buying one of the big 3 used will be better in the long run, never having to doubt if your welder will work is a huge help, if something fails, it's either a bad ground, out of wire, out of gas, or dirty work surface, all easily fixable. You will make up more than you paid real quick, and you can also sell the welder when the time comes for pretty much the purchase amount.

My time line:

Learned how to weld...

Bought a 90 amp welder from Harbor Freight...

Returned it after 20 minutes of use (2-3 minutes of welding, followed by 17-18 swearing)...

Bought a used hobart 130 for 450 with a cart, a spool, and accessories...

Got a co2 tank and traded it in for an argon/co2 tank...

Then proceeded to do: my entire floor (twice), my own frame rails, battery tray, fire wall, fuel box, harness bar, fix my roll bar, strut bars, jack points, seat mounts, and numerous patches.

I have the hobart handler 140 and have no regrets.

Think I paid 450.00 for it on sale. It has given me no problems. Yes, it has its limitations but is excellent for body and sheet metal work.

I've made everything from 20ga repair panels to 3/8" thick mounts for my rotisserie. I have little experience welding so this machine was a good match for price and needs.

Keep in mind a good welder will help a new welder learn quickly with little issues.

A cheap welder usually causes problems and will lead an inexperienced welder down a road of inevitable regret and usually leave them paying a professional to do the job because they think they cant learn to weld.

Dont chase or create problems by buying a cheap welder. Invest in good equipment and do the job right the first time.

Even with a budget in mind,I'd recommend setting aside about 500-800 bucks for a welder and all the equipment needed. ie; welding gloves, wire, gas, helmet.

I think i've got about 600 in my whole setup and thats only because I had my own gas tank already. Don't get anything smaller than a 40cu ft tank by the way.

My tank runs out before a 2lb spool of wire does and trips to welding shop for refills gets old fast.

Best of luck to ya and your decision.

A 110 welder draws about twice the amps at the same settings as a 220 welder.

This makes the circuit from the panel to the outlet you are using very important.

I use a snap-on FM140 I picked up for 600 bucks in brand new condition.

It's not a century welder but rather a CK systematics welder and has the biggest transformer I have ever seen in a 110 welder.........and I have welded until the torch is too hot to use.

I believe the 100% duty cycle is not an empty boast with this unit......as long as it's plugged into a strong enough circuit.

If you are going to spend the money.. do it right. Lincoln or Miller or Hobart

I'd add Firepower by Thermadyne. While a little known sub-brand,it's part of the same company that makes Tweco and Victor. My Firepower 130 came with a Tweco torch and Victor regulator. Great little MIG.

Also, to echo what everyone else said make sure you get set up with gas is you're planning on doing any serious work. Flux-core is fine for learning but it's just too messy for much else.

Edited by OmakZ

I'll go ahead and third the Eastwood welder. I have the 175amp 220v version which is more expensive but also comes with a spool gun in case I ever decide to go turbo and make my own intercooler piping or something. Honestly, I didn't really need the 220v right now, but I also didn't want to have to upgrade later, plus I thought it'd be fun to wire up a dedicated 220v circuit straight from my breaker box...very carefully!

It's a good welder for a novice like me with surprisingly high quality for a cheap "off-brand." Plenty of power on tap and I'm not afraid to admit, the infinite voltage and wire-speed adjustability often comes in handy to compensate for my lack of skill! Very good value!

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html