TC24-B1Z

Kali

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The HP numbers are great .... But low torque.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that ~300lbft is about as much torque as any NA 3.2l is making. Off the top of my head I can't think of any even modern engine making more. That works out to a BMEP of 223psi or 15.3 bar! If those numbers are correct that's outrageous. Those are top level, big money racing engine numbers(which I suppose makes sense because this, to my dismay, is likely a big money engine...)

That said, 289lbft at 8000rpm works out to more than 420hp.

Torque will ALWAYS be directly tied to displacement in NA applications. F1 motors can make 1000+hp from 3 liters, yet their torque isn't as amazing of a figure. For example, the 2006 Toyota RVX-06 Forumula 1 engine was reported to produce 202 ft lbs of torque, while making 740HP.

To a racer, peak torque figures are rarely a huge concern. Torque curve IS. I'd readily sacrifice the extra difference between the OS head and the 3 liter John just mentioned, if the engine makes that torque for a wider RPM range.

That said I'm sure the OS head will make plenty of broad torque, I'm just saying in general a nice fat torque curve is more important than a blip on the dyno plot if you're concerned about lap times.

I knew someone in Service Group for Ford back in the late 70's when there was a BDA put into a older Capri. They would give it to secretaries to run errands with because they always shifted before big power was even close.

Then a bunch of fat White engineers in White shirts and ties with the requisite "Falling Down" glasses would pile in and go looking for muscle on Woodward. Thing had some ridiculous gearset out back and if you matted it and held it there when the power hit...

Standard truck was to short shift just before the cam came on, then take 2nd to 12,000.

As he said: "Man, that thing was a hoot to drive!"

I wonder what happened to it? TimZ???

Edited by Tony D

And since we're jacking this thread, one of the coolest aspects (I think) of peak torque for a given engine is that it doesn't really require the most amazing head. You can usually reach 80+ torque per liter if you have a well matched system to the head you have, and tune it all for the RPM at which those heads do their best work. There's plenty of pushrod V8's that show this wonderfully, where it doesn't take much to get a well put together 302 ford to put out 400+ ft lbs on the engine dyno. Now getting the torque to peak like that at 8k and beyond, that's a whole nother matter...

I heard that a gear drive setup give some hp virus the chain but that person that told me about and claims to have built there own gear drivers for a L4 and L6 , That persons name is Tim and he said that a 240Z in Reno has on of his Gear drives in it the extra power a gear drive adds is 92 hp i was told by Tim .

Edited by Joeoski