HybridZ

79ZX to 83ZXT swap help!!!!!

Hi Def

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The resistor pack is for '81 only. You won't have them with your setup...just hurry up and get that HEI module wires in.

WHEW!!!!! Lol As I wipe my brow.. Lol And yes sir! Will have it done very shortly... Got a floor to start now,customer called last night to start a duplex. I do Hardwood Floors for a living. So,by the end of the week I should have it in and a report for everyone. :) Thanks for that link again also. I'll report back as soon as I get it in and installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update and check in...

A week and a half ago,my phone was stolen off a jobsite and I have not had a chance or the money to work on the ZX.. I did go over all my wiring again and double checked it all and tried starting it again and same deal. No spark (at coil or plugs) and/or no "pulse" in the signal wire going to the ignitor.. TOTALLY OUTTA IDEAS... :(

I did just see an ignitor on Ebay for 65.00 outta a junked 81 turbo... Def gonna try the HEI ignitor swap thou!! 24.95 at Advanced Auto.. :)

Anyways,just wanted to update and share my bad news.. Phone was replaced now and I will def be in better shape soon.. As in,being able to get back to my baby.. Lol

Any other ideas or thoughts,please,please mention them.. I'm more then willing to try just about anything now.. Like I mention before in the earlier posts,its been over a year now for my swap.... :( Totally not having fun anymore... Besides the spark issue,all I have is a few silicon couplers to get yet to finish the intercooler build of the project and thats it!!!!

Everything else is new on the car now.. Shocks,springs,sway bars,poly everywhere,bearings,tires,etc!!! I have about 7k in recepits for the other parts.. I did everything in less time then JUST the engine swap!! That includes,stripping and painting every single part hat I took off the car!!! Only part UNDER the car I havent changed yet is the rear diff and half shafts!!! Yeap,EVERYTHING UNDER the car is new or refinished... Soon the rear E-Brake cable will be also.. AFTER I GET THE DAM THING TO START!! Lol

ok,ok,ok... I know,Im just rambling now but,I know some of you guys/girls knows EXACTLY how I feel!! As I said,ANY info you might have,please speak your mind.. I've done tons of testing and searching and reading over the past year or so now... A bit of stupidity and over informed I am to say the least..

Thanks everyone to have have posted so far!!!! Means alot to know other people have had my same issues and have worked thru them..

Just a quick update and check in...

A week and a half ago,my phone was stolen off a jobsite and I have not had a chance or the money to work on the ZX.. I did go over all my wiring again and double checked it all and tried starting it again and same deal. No spark (at coil or plugs) and/or no "pulse" in the signal wire going to the ignitor.. TOTALLY OUTTA IDEAS... :(

I did just see an ignitor on Ebay for 65.00 outta a junked 81 turbo... Def gonna try the HEI ignitor swap thou!! 24.95 at Advanced Auto.. :)

Anyways,just wanted to update and share my bad news.. Phone was replaced now and I will def be in better shape soon.. As in,being able to get back to my baby.. Lol

Any other ideas or thoughts,please,please mention them.. I'm more then willing to try just about anything now.. Like I mention before in the earlier posts,its been over a year now for my swap.... :( Totally not having fun anymore... Besides the spark issue,all I have is a few silicon couplers to get yet to finish the intercooler build of the project and thats it!!!!

Everything else is new on the car now.. Shocks,springs,sway bars,poly everywhere,bearings,tires,etc!!! I have about 7k in recepits for the other parts.. I did everything in less time then JUST the engine swap!! That includes,stripping and painting every single part hat I took off the car!!! Only part UNDER the car I havent changed yet is the rear diff and half shafts!!! Yeap,EVERYTHING UNDER the car is new or refinished... Soon the rear E-Brake cable will be also.. AFTER I GET THE DAM THING TO START!! Lol

ok,ok,ok... I know,Im just rambling now but,I know some of you guys/girls knows EXACTLY how I feel!! As I said,ANY info you might have,please speak your mind.. I've done tons of testing and searching and reading over the past year or so now... A bit of stupidity and over informed I am to say the least..

Thanks everyone to have have posted so far!!!! Means alot to know other people have had my same issues and have worked thru them..

If anyone wants to text/call me instead of tending to their machines,414-202-0318.. Shawn.. Thanks again..

My problem now is,I can't get spark? I hear the fuel pump kick in and run for the 5 secs,I also have the green LED light lit on the ECU,I have 12 volts at the coil,CAS,and everywhere else. I smell gas when trying to start it but I get no spark out of the coil or any of the plugs?

Just a thought.... when are you measuring the coil voltage? I had a similar symptom after my recent '83 turbo swap into my 75 - crank fine, wouldnt start. The voltage was fine to the coil in the ON ign. switch position, but went to 0 in the START position. Swapped out the ign. switch and started right up. Not saying it's def. your problem, just something else to check. good luck!

Thanks glup...Scumbag... Lol

I am def not familiar with that part at all. Now I will be reading AGAIN about another tucked away part? Lol Where's the part located and is this something that plugs into the EFI harness?

I have an 83 ECU and either an 82 or 83 harness. And yes,the engine is an 83.. Never heard or came across an,"Injector Drive Resistor" yet.

Thanks again for pointing something out. Didn't make it to the store today to grab the HEI ignitor but I DEF WILL TOMOR!

I gave out wrong information. Turns out the cable where this "injector drive" plugs into, is suppose to connect into some type of box that sits next to the ecu. This injector drive crap doesn't exist. That's what I was told what it was at the beginning. Next I was told it was a drop resistor which was I needed. But that was only for an 81 harness. The plug with 8 slots is meant for this box next to the ecu. This comes on the 82-83. Our 79 doesn't have this box.This is what I have gotten so far. I will keep on with the research tomorrow and let you know tomorrow as well. Again, I apologize for the wrong information.

Edited by ScumbagS130

I gave out wrong information. Turns out the cable where this "injector drive" plugs into, is suppose to connect into some type of box that sits next to the ecu. This injector drive crap doesn't exist. That's what I was told what it was at the beginning. Next I was told it was a drop resistor which was I needed. But that was only for an 81 harness. The plug with 8 slots is meant for this box next to the ecu. This comes on the 82-83. Our 79 doesn't have this box.This is what I have gotten so far. I will keep on with the research tomorrow and let you know tomorrow as well. Again, I apologize for the wrong information.

No prob and thank you very much for the update. I have a friend on his way over now. He used to be an automotive electrical electrician. Gonna see if he can help at all. He also builds cars still,but he got outta the dealership line of work as I did myself. ;)

We're gonna go over everything and maybe he can tell if I have a bad part. Still didn't do the HEI swap,but it will be done either way. Today was a lucky day off for me and also lucky,that my friend happens to be off also!!! Maybe a sign of good things to come!? Like spark? Lol

I will def be updating again,after we're done today again. Wish me luck! This swap has been over a year long project now! :( Losing faith and ambition! :( First time in like 2 weeks that I'm even gonna touch it!!!! If I didn't have soooo much money into it I'd sell it!

• 2 weeks later...

No prob and thank you very much for the update. I have a friend on his way over now. He used to be an automotive electrical electrician. Gonna see if he can help at all. He also builds cars still,but he got outta the dealership line of work as I did myself. ;)

We're gonna go over everything and maybe he can tell if I have a bad part. Still didn't do the HEI swap,but it will be done either way. Today was a lucky day off for me and also lucky,that my friend happens to be off also!!! Maybe a sign of good things to come!? Like spark? Lol

I will def be updating again,after we're done today again. Wish me luck! This swap has been over a year long project now! :( Losing faith and ambition! :( First time in like 2 weeks that I'm even gonna touch it!!!! If I didn't have soooo much money into it I'd sell it!

Okay so this "box" is the Fuel Pump Control Module, which is the box that sits on top of the ecu. My main mechanic has a factory '83 turbo and we unplugged his module, it didnt start. Once it was connected again it started up again. Since the first person who was suppose to put in my turbo harness didnt know what was what, I took it to a shop in Whittier, CA called Mike's Z Shop. A guy named Mark said that that module wasnt necessary, but Im not sure why it didnt start with it unplugged.

I am also going with the HEI swap. Let me know how does that go.

Since we're both doing the same exact swap with the same motor, and same year zx, $5 bet on whoever finishes first.?Haha. And pointers as to how to get it running.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so this "box" is the Fuel Pump Control Module, which is the box that sits on top of the ecu. My main mechanic has a factory '83 turbo and we unplugged his module, it didnt start. Once it was connected again it started up again. Since the first person who was suppose to put in my turbo harness didnt know what was what, I took it to a shop in Whittier, CA called Mike's Z Shop. A guy named Mark said that that module wasnt necessary, but Im not sure why it didnt start with it unplugged.

I am also going with the HEI swap. Let me know how does that go.

Since we're both doing the same exact swap with the same motor, and same year zx, $5 bet on whoever finishes first.?Haha. And pointers as to how to get it running.

I'll take ya up on that lil bet. Lol ;) Well,my friend came thru and nothing new to report. Starting to think the crank angle sensor is bad. Been looking for a used distributor with no luck. Found a remaned one on EBay or 177.00 but now my other buddy who owns his own shop has told me to hold off yet. He wants to makes sure I'm on the right path. He feels the same way as I about throwing money at a problem. It's not always the answer. And if it saves me 200.00,I'LL WAIT! Lol

The box under the dash you speak of,I have no clue on either. Pic maybe? My prob is,I get no signal to the ignitor from the ecu. I have 2 ecu's and 2 harnesses and I have the same problem with both. Sooooo,I'm sure it a engine part bad,not either of the ecu's or harnesses.

If you'd like,you can call/text me and we could talk about it more? 414-202-0318. My name is Shawn. I also have family in Cali. Inglewood to be exact and a friend in Long Beach. I usually come there atleast once a year for the Long Beach Grand Prix. Missed last year. Next year I may have to miss also. Depends on this dam project! Lol Have a friend that lives about 15mins from Z Specialtys in Washington also. He is known on the forums as,Z Man of Washington. Oliver is great with Z's but too busy to sit on the phone. :(

Well,hope to hear from ya soon. Good luck with your swap also!!!! Phone is always on so don't be shy!! Lol

• 1 month later...

This swap is still not done!!!!! Updated work on the project as of right now, I have changed the harness and tested components thru the harness and everything is good. CHTS is new,bought another dizzy,off a member here,and switched the ECU for another one.

Fuel pump runs and primes for the 5 secs when I first turn the key,starter works. All systems seem go,but no spark or pulse. :( Noid light doesn't show a pulse or anything either when hooked up to the fuel injector harness.

This project is really starting to wear me down. Thinking Megasquirt now but that just means,MORE MONEY! Was trying to get past that point.

Anyone think I'm missing something? Or live around Milwaukee? Lol

Anyone have any experience with Megasquirt systems? I have been reading about them and evenn seen an article about wiring it into a 280Z with the L28et swap. I also see they have like 5 different system to choose from. I was looking at the cheapest one ofcourse. Lol 265.00 plus,? The harness they offer and then what? What sensors and stuff change during that swap I have not a clue. I have seen a few times that the AFM gets tossed for a Ford MAF?

Well,thanks so far everyone for helping me with this project!!!!! I have definitely learned a HELL OF A LOT MORE then I thought I ever would about my Datsun!!!! Lol I swear,I should have this solved already for as much as I have read/tested/fixed/replaced/repaired/took start apart and back together again!!!

Thanks once again everyone for your time, your ideas, and help.

Oh..... I have still NOT done the HEI conversation yet. Call me lazy.. Lol

• 3 weeks later...

The fuel pump control module controls the fuel pump. The '81 didn't use one but the '82-83 did. What harness and year ECU are you running?

I bypassed the fuel pump control module on my car simply by grounding the output to the fuel pump but I'm running Mega Squirt.

• 3 weeks later...

As some of you might know, I am doing the exact swap. 83' turbo engine to a 79'

I am almost done. I noticed some of you were talking about the HEI conversion, and it works well. I will post pictures tomorrow as to how I installed mines. When the car was turned on, it sounded as if the spark plugs were dirty, (The WRX sound) I was told to drive around for 20 miles to clean up spark plugs due it trying to be turned on repetitivly. It was unsuccessful and went off and bought completely new spark plugs. Nothing changed. Who knows what these people found out, but on my J-Pipe, theres a vent that connects to the intake manifold. What they did was put a bolt in the hose to minimize the amount of air entering the manifold. After that wizardly act, it runs perfect... Until I slow down and am going to enter the idling stage. One big problem I'm facing rite now is the car wanting to turn off when I am coming to a stop or if I'm driving at around 55mph and put it into neutral, it will also want to turn off then. This issue from what I've been told, is caused due to not having the Idle control solenoids. Those are bolted and are under the Airflow Meter on the stock turbo models. I will post pictures up of what they look like of that also. Hope this somewhat helps.

Ok,so I have the ignitor here (HEI) and I'm gonna be cutting up a broken amp and making some kind of finned aluminum mount. Got an idea and the amp fits the HEI perfect so it should come out looking pretty nice. HOPEFULLY!

I don't think this is gonna solve my prob,but it will atleast eliminate another thing that could be wrong and its a must have once and IF I have to go Megasquirt anyways. So,the HEI is going in. Soon!

I don't use the J-Pipe cause I have a front mount intercooler on it. But I do have a j-pipe here and it does have a few provisions on it for vac lines. One is def for the top of the valve cover. The rest? Not a clue. Haven't worried about those vac lines yet. Stuck at the no start/spark still! Beyond frustrated I tell ya.

Added up all my receipts last night l,FOR THE FIRST TIME,and omg! I'm almost at 10k IN PARTS! Lol I did all the labor and work so wow. This thing is def suppose to be running. I only.paid 850.00 for the car and started THIS build a lil over a year ago now. Did the suspension and the factory N/A year and a half ago. Drove it around for the summer of 2011 FINALLY bought a set of new tires and took one nice long drive. On my way home,the crank pulley split and I had to limp her home. Between that and the leaking headgasket on my freshly painted N/A,I decided to rebuild it. Headbolts snapped,head was impossible to remove,looked on Craigslist,and seen the only L28et forsale in the entire state! Ofcourse,I bought it,and rebuilt it from the start this time and here I am now. No spark. Been the same prob for over 5 months now!?

I have changed and replaced just about everything TWICE! What am I missing?I have 2 harnesses,both have been installed and tried,both ecu's. Now gonna do the Hei converstion and if that don't work,what should I be looking at or testing?

I can add photos of just about anything. Or I can add the link to my Photobucket. All the pics are on my phone and uploaded to photobucket. If ya need any pics to help get a better idea of where I'm at,what I did,what it looks like etc,just ask. I'd be more then happy to you help me! Lol

Edited by Hi Def

I can't recall seeing it done but it seems like you should be able to measure the voltage pulses on the power wire from the ECCS to the transistor, while cranking the engine.  The HEI module will need that to work, just like the stock power transistor does.  If I had the problem I would connect my meter from that wire to ground, crank the engine and see if the ECCS is doing its thing.  It might be so fast that a meter won't pick it up though.  Unless you've seen a working signal, and know what to look for and how to measure it, it might not tell you anything, if there's no measurable signal.  On the other hand, if you see the pulses, it will be a good sign that the HEI module should work.

Edited by NewZed

Yeah,NewZed. I tried that many times and I think your right. I think the pulses are too fast to be seen on a multimeter. Plus mine is cheap as hell. Harbor Freight special. Lol Gonna be doing the HEI today possibly. Hopefully this works but I'm not feeling to confident about it. :(

Edited by Hi Def

Yea, forget using a multimeter on a fast pulsing signal light that. BUT, you can go buy a sub $20 test light and that will show it just fine.

Personally I'd have avoided all of the assuming and buying new parts. I'm all for the HEI conversion, but there was never really a guarantee your ignitor was dead.

You're probably just overlooking something simple. I know because I've been there. I once stared my engine down for 5 months until I finally found the issue, which was hooking up a wire incorrectly. It "looked" fine and seemed unrelated to my problem, but after finding the issue it DID make sense. It just wasn't where I was looking.

Go back to square one. Assume nothing, pull out the FSM and check voltages EVERYWHERE. I'm betting that SOMETHING isn't getting voltage somewhere. You just need to figure out where in the chain it's not getting through.