HybridZ

Modded L28?

monk3y

So I got this engine for free with a transmission I just got, I got it for free because it dropped a valve killed it. I was told that the guy he had bought it from but like $3k into the engine. When I pulled it apart I noticed the crank had been drilled into. I would like to know if you could help me identify what I have here. I know it's an n42 block and n42 head (the head is toast) but beyond that I don't have a clue.

IMG_20120603_171442.jpg

IMG_20120606_020932-2.jpg

IMG_20120606_020920.jpg

IMG_20120606_020834.jpg

IMG_20120606_020822.jpg

IMG_20120606_020520.jpg

Edited by monk3y

I would say save the rods and crank if they check out and toss the block. Never know when they'll come into play. I'm running a rebuilt f54 with rods and crank from an l26. Out of the three cranks I have, that one was by far in the best shape. And it was the one I've been sitting on the longest.

Edited by B. Whisky

There should be a letter - http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/cam/index.htm

Your picture and description don't quite fit with the cam for an N42 head though. I think that the N42s had the spray bar and the N47s went to the internally oiled cam. No spray bar, plus pretty sure that I see an oil hole on a lobe. Maybe there was a transition period for the cam. Probably an A cam, either way, which seems to be one of the more popular stock cams.

Anyway, someone will probably need it in a couple of weeks...

Edited by NewZed

Your picture and description don't quite fit with the cam for an N42 head though. I think that the N42s had the spray bar and the N47s went to the internally oiled cam. No spray bar, plus pretty sure that I see an oil hole on a lobe. Maybe there was a transition period for the cam. Probably an A cam, either way, which seems to be one of the more popular stock cams.

My N42 head has an internally oiled cam. It probably depends on what year it was manufactured.