HybridZ

Where can i get a ls1 premade harness for my z?

I've been doing alot of thinking about the motor swap i wanna do in my z. lately i've been really fascinated with the ls1 swap, which seems pretty easy(minus the wiring and suspension upgrades). The main thing that has been on my mind about the swap is the engine wiring harness. I'vee been looking for a way around cutting/ splicing/ and crimping. Which leads me to a couple of questions i wanted to ask the z forum gods. Is there a engine harness for z cars that is premade for the 280/ls1 swap or would i have to do the custom wiring?

There is NO pre-made harness fo swapping an LS-1 into a z-car. There are only harnesses for swapping LS-1 into a "generic" car. Some of the eBay,etc, aftermarket harnesses have more or less stuff included, for example fuse blocks and relays. Get as much stuff as you can for the money. In the end,you will have to modify whatever you buy. You will have to shorten wires that are too long and lengthen wires that are too short. Try to find a local LS tuner to reprogram your computer (which should come from the same model motor that you install). If you get your motor and car together, I can help you finish up. I would budget about $1000 for wiring if starting from scratch if you are not already experienced with LS-1 wiring.

I used a Chevrolet truck harness and computer. I get them from a friend of mine that runs a very large junk yard. $100 for the computer and harness. The truck harness is a little more time consuming than the F body type but the end result can be great if you have a little patience.

001.jpg

• 3 months later...

Don't be afraid to tackle the wiring yourself. There LS1 harness is pretty much a stand alone harness straight out of an F-body(I can't vouch for the truck harness). If you send your PCM off to get the VATS(Vehicle Anti Theft System nonsense) tuned out, you give power to 5 wires and ground to a couple of wires and the chassis/heads/etc, and it will start right up once you give power to the starter. It seems daunting at first, but the great thing about the LSx motors is the fan base is HUGE. If you look over on LS1tech or couple of the other forums(LS1.com, LS1LT1, etc) you will be able to find multiple guides on how to wire it up. Then its just a matter of removing the stuff you don't need and integrating wires for gauges and stuff like that.

Like the members above have posted, I don't think anyone makes a plug and play harness for an S30, which means you are going to have to modify any harness you get, which means you might as well just modify a stock harness. But it all comes down to how much your time is worth, mine tends to be worth next to nothing, making it a lot cheaper for me to do everything myself.

-Will

Don't be afraid to tackle the wiring yourself. There LS1 harness is pretty much a stand alone harness straight out of an F-body(I can't vouch for the truck harness). If you send your PCM off to get the VATS(Vehicle Anti Theft System nonsense) tuned out, you give power to 5 wires and ground to a couple of wires and the chassis/heads/etc, and it will start right up once you give power to the starter. It seems daunting at first, but the great thing about the LSx motors is the fan base is HUGE. If you look over on LS1tech or couple of the other forums(LS1.com, LS1LT1, etc) you will be able to find multiple guides on how to wire it up. Then its just a matter of removing the stuff you don't need and integrating wires for gauges and stuff like that.

Like the members above have posted, I don't think anyone makes a plug and play harness for an S30, which means you are going to have to modify any harness you get, which means you might as well just modify a stock harness. But it all comes down to how much your time is worth, mine tends to be worth next to nothing, making it a lot cheaper for me to do everything myself.

-Will

It's a few more wires, but I agree 100%.  You have the fan low/hi wires, fuel pump wires (which are pulls to POWER and not ground, reverse of most operations), torque convertor lock-up if running the 4L60E and a few more if I recall correctly.  The point as you made it, though, is spot on - the wiring is very easy.

I used the stock F-body harness and was able to mount the PCM inside the car at the base of the firewall, right at the passengers feet.

Edited by ktm