HybridZ

L28ET swap 240z runs rough won't take throttle

motomanmike

Because who cares about O2 sensors? (oh yea, smog techs :-P )

My L28ET sometime got BETTER gas mileage with the O2 disconnected. And even if it was the same or even slightly worse MPG then it was worth the trade off of driving better. Then again, just about everything with my ECCS is FUBAR...

sigh... I would think youd be able to figure that one out Gollum.

Grounded through the exhaust system... single wire O2 sensor. Did you ever check the ground or verify the sensor was even a good sensor and not totally biased lean. You know about the propane enrichment test correct? Ill explain it through PM if you dont. Your smog tech buddy should be able to explain it as well. The only FUBAR part of the 280zx ECCS is the stupid VAFM well and maybe the old Bosch connectors. You should already know the purpose of the 02 sensor in that system too. Mr Blame Smog... lol

Next youll tell me Im running my AIR system and AB valve on my 240Z because I care about the environment. humpf.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got my megasquirt II today and soooo excited to get it all hooked up. Hopefully i'll have it all hooked up by Sunday and can report. I hooked up my laptop, loaded megatune. Hooked up my stim, made sure my laptop would communicate with megasquirt and that all the functions work right with the stim. Everything seems to be good. I took my J pipe to work and put the bung on it for my intake air temp sensor. I made a custom fuel injector harness last night to use. I hope this works out. I'll keep you guys posted. I've got to get a temporary set up for my temp sensor, i'm just going to go to ACE and get some barbed fittings and a 3/8 T fitting and T the sensor into the heater hose for a temporary set up. Once I get it running and feel good about it, i'll pull off the J pip and get an intercooler and tap the thermostat housing for the sensor. Its getting closer :)

Edited by motomanmike

• 2 years later...

Well after reading all the posts on this old thread I was hoping to find a solution.

My 83280ZXT swap into a 78 280Z is at the same stage as MotoManmike, in the second video post #45

It runs exactly the same it will idle roughlyand sometimes smooth it's self out, can't mash the go pedal as it just sputters and backfires through the intake, can slowly softly step on the gas to try and feather it up to RPMs but can't tell it won't go with a a load, can hear the turbo spool.

I dropped the fuel tank in the the 280Z and had it boiled out, blew out all the fuel lines, new Walbro pump, new fuel filter and new fuel pressure regulator.

I was reading 30 pounds just before the rail after the filter. (I have it wired through the 5 second start/run relay)

I have a question on the Voltage drop at the fuel pump which is standard for the 280Z as it varies the fuel pump between full voltage and 9.5 volts should I remove this as the Walbro would probably like the full 12V?? Only reason I ask is in my LT1 V8 conversion I am running a huge Mallory FI pump and It needed larger gauge wire than the stock wires to run right and not blow fuses

Is there a place to download the 83 280ZXT FSM? I think I have the 82 ZX

Time to break out the meter and I'll start posting my findings, Hopefully I can workout a final resolution to this thread as my case is very similar.  

Greg

Why are you worrying about electrical and fuel blockages when the 30 psi reading tells you those probably aren't issues?  Take more pressure readings, ideally while the problem is happening.  You haven't taken the most basic reading for the fuel system yet either, with the vacuum hose removed from the FPR.  Or maybe you have, but your description left it out.  Looks like you took a reading with the engine running at idle, and it's in-range.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/

http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html

Edited by NewZed

I've read about problems using the stock return line on some of the s30s. Not sure if that applies to your car. If the pump isn't running at full power plus a return restriction you may not see a problem with the pressure...?

That is an issue with the 240/260- the carburetor fuel return line is smaller than the 280Z EFI return line.

• 1 year later...

You should put your problems in your words just to be sure.  Besides that, the OP's description is 5 pages back.  And, he described a multitude of problems.  It would be odd if you had all of the ones he did, identically.

Even better, start a new thread.

This reminds me of the hell I dealt with stock eccs system exact some conditions. Unplugging chts caused to run better but on load ran like crap i did the same exact thing got tired of trying to diagnose it. Put ms2 never looked back.

On my stock 82 turbo, my car would run like crap, with bogging and no power intermittently. One day I bumped the harness plugged into the ECCU right next to my foot and the car came alive!  I tried everything to clean the harness, connectors etc. to no avail,  but when it would happen, I just simply pushed the connector again with my foot and bam, she ran great again.

Edited by JSM