HybridZ

EZ electric powersteering installed

rags

As Nelsonian posted, there is no additional effort over stock required to turn the wheel when there is no power to the system. Actually, I had the column installed but didn't have the ECU connected and had to move the car. It felt just like stock.

Joe

Speed sensitive for Auto X would seem to be the way to go.I would have to understand the speed sensing input, but if its compatible with the GM unit it's likely a magnetic pickup and senses frequency...

Meaning guys with aftermarket speedos and a pulser system already likely could use it. At most you would have to get a set of driveshaft magnets from an aftermarket cruise control system--they sell them separately since the glue can sometimes let go...

This makes my power rack in the driveway not look so attractive, like a ship, electricity is easier and cleaner to route than hydraulics!

Collapsibility is accomplished in the Datsun unit by sliding splined shafts internally, and a rumpled outer housing... If the system merely bolts in between existing components, it's not changing anything in that respect to functionality.

But changing the outer tube may affect it. They do have "sliding bolts" under the column to dash attachment point to allow for limited rearward displacement of the column.

The Blue Turd was a theft recovery... It's outer tube is collapsed about 2", the lower bearing can fall out if I didn't glue it in place...

Edited by Tony D

I'm hoping this will work well with fast steering inputs such as when autocrossing. Definately keeping my eye on this.

Smaller EPS motors, from kei cars, forced to do auto-x duty have been known to lose some assist toward the end of a run. The one from EZ EPS looks more like what full sized cars use so I assume it would be better suited. That's a guess though.

This looks really attractive - Better than the Subaru power steering rack I have sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. I'm not looking for specific cost but could you provide budgetary numbers for the EZ Power Steering? i.e... <$500 or <$1000 or <$1500 etc.

1200 euros, just over $1550

Yeah, i would have bet it was safe on continental Europe, TÃœV doesn't approve it unless its kosher!

Uh...

Yeh!

And on the cost, a bolt in PS Unit (hydraulic assist cylinder) for the Z was sold for $742 back in 1976, which would convert through CPI Inflation Calculator to $3,000 today -- half the real cost in dollars and lighter to boot!

This is on the slate for the Shark Car, 265's in front, small Momo wheel... It was fine for me in parking lots... But those without the ability to tighten 96 600 ftlb in 30 minutes tended to complain when I let them drive.

I'm figuring its useable on RHD -- universal fitment. Woot!

Edited by Tony D

Nope, there is no lag. I really have not found anything I don't like about this system.

I do want to try using the speed sensor from the ECU to signal speed sensativity but have yet to do so. I'll post once I do it.

Joe

1349105213[/url]' post='1021907']

Nope, there is no lag. I really have not found anything I don't like about this system.

I do want to try using the speed sensor from the ECU to signal speed sensativity but have yet to do so. I'll post once I do it.

Joe

Rags, can you confirm my supposition that this signal is simple Hz from a speed pickup or if it "has" to be a clean waveform? I'm almost positive the signal I was looking at on some cars in Japan was simply the speed output from the tranny.

If this is he case, the magnet or splitting the pulser from the tranny on an S14 Tranny would perform this function on earlier cars...and open up the possibility of using hose cruise control repair parts to fit this to a car retaining the cable driven speedo.

I seem to recall a mag pulser that went inline to the speedo with a stub cable available somewhere, that may prove suitable... If I read some of their stuff on the articles page I THINK they actually offer this as an option. Maybe if I find an English article I can confirm it.

I confirmed it: look on their "Publicaties" page, go to the "BMW Car Magazine" December 2009 article, it discusses the variable speed feature can be accomplished via an adapter they have for older vehicles that goes between the speedo and the cable. It's not specified wether its opto or magnetic, but that it goes on the cable is good enough for me! That means variable speed is available on the early cars without much ado at all.

BMW ARTICLE

It also nicely addressed my suspicions on my RHD/LHD issues! Cool!

Edited by Tony D

Electric assist power steering sounds great! I'd be cool to see a video of it working! With 15x10 slicks it gets pretty crazy trying to do tight turns while autocrossing. I was really bummed out when I realized in order to run the subaru power steering I'd have to change all of the engine mounts. Electric power steering is probably a much more versatile solution since it could work with almost any engine configuration.

I dont want to be rude but my only complaint would be that $1500 seems like a lot to pay. I know many new cars have this kind of power steering, would it be possible to repurpose one of these systems to use in our cars? I've read Del Long's DM autox "jeep" uses electric assist power steering out of a toyota yaris. You could probably pick up the steering column and power steering computer for pretty cheap at the junkyard. The system is probably mostly self contained so wiring should not be too crazy. The main challenge would be to mount the steering column and attaching the system to the stock steering shaft but an adapter to bolt to the steering coupler or (as in the OPs kit) attach to the splines should not be too crazy to come up with. Of course at this point maybe $1500 doesnt sound so bad for a bolt in solution... :)

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n
  • Like 1