HybridZ

Has anyone been pulled over for engine swap?

_Donovan_

I would like to hear some stories about getting pulled over for engine swaps. Why did you get pulled over, what made them check? Did you do it properly with a referee or not? What came out of it all. Things like this, kind of what to expect as I am finishing this project. Soon I will be scheduling a referee check and the moving to CA, wondering how much grief I will get as I drive and to and live there.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally if you drive like a sane person and your car is understated your chances of getting pulled over is low. If you're gone to the trouble and it meets CA smog and is certified by a BAR referee then you ahve nothing to worry about.

No. You get pulled over for speeding, running a red light, street racing, illegal left turn, etc. and then the officer checks for equipment violations. Most of the time you've done something stupid to attract attention and the officer decides to check the car out because you've got a bad attitude.

While they could pull you over under any pretext if they felt like it warranted it not, I have found that they generally leave classic cars alone. My old turbo setup looked stock, but it was damn loud (3-in. DP, no cat, Borla XR-1 race muffler) and I would do 3rd and 2nd decels to a stop light with a in immediate ear shot. My LS1 is fairly loud (sets off car alarms when cruising through my neighborhood) and again, the cops have ignored me. That is not to say that I will never get pulled over though. As John stated, don't draw attention to yourself and you should be fine.

Someone had a thread on here a few months back about being pulled over for non-stock exhaust. They had swapped in an RB and the exhaust was loud and obvious. Got a ticket to go to the Ref. They paid the fine instead, $700 I think, and DMV was non-the-wiser. Your issue will be bringing it from out of state. That requires smog and DMV VIN inspection. You didn't mention your year, 75 and older the DMV inspector most likely will not care what engine the car has. 76 and newer you are most likely SOL.

There was a big national story on street racing and 31 cars being impounded and crushed for 'illegal engine swaps' over in the (ironic) old Riverside Raceway property which is now a mall.

The guys were busted for racing, bad enough.... But most of the Honda Motorsport Enthusiasts at the time had illegally-swapped B-Series Engines in their vehicles. OOPS!

Like John C says, don't do stupid stuff, and they largely ignore you. Put Antique Vehicle Plates on it and you are exempted from reporting engine swaps until such time as the vehicle is transferred (read the CVC guys....this isn't rocket science...)

When you go in knowing what the laws are, and write the properly worded statement of fact, the Supervisor just looks sideways at you with an accusatory "This says everything it needs to say to exempt you from all those back fees..." and then they grudgingly erase those $700+ back fees and give you your plate and title.tongue.gif

You've given us nothing to go on, what engine, what year car, and did you (as John suggests) do it in a BAR-Compliant way? If so, it doesn't MATTER what they find, if you're legal, you're legal. And it's FAR more satisfying to have them apologize than to be a dic and have your car impounded for attitude!cool.gif

You are right, I was entirely vague and lacking details. The car is a '76 and the engine is a LT1. It has dual exhaust running out the left and right side, and is louder than expected. It is pretty obvious that it is not stock. I can understand that Hondas and Nissans get away engine swaps when it is at least the same brand and the difference between engines is slight. But a 5.7 where a 2.8 is obvious.

I was mainly just asking for those that do have swaps that it is blatant that "something" has been done is, how much do you worry when you see police? I am wondering legal or not, do you get nervous that you will get pulled over or have you gotten pulled over?

You do know that you have to run your car through a smog inspection when you bring it into the state and register it? And you'll undergo the same inspection very two years. You might get an exemption if you're on active military duty and temporarily transferred to a base here in CA. Even if you don't get an exemption, most cops will give you a pass if you show military ID, your home state driver's license, and say you're on a temporary duty.

Just drive like a respectful adult and be polite if you're pulled over.

Yeah, I will only be in California for a year at the most. I am not going to bother trying to get a CA license for that amount of time. Also It will not be my daily driver, in fact I will just be tearing it apart to do the coil over suspension upgrade anyways and whatever else I can get around to doing. I just don't want to be watching my back the whole time if I decide to take it out for a drive now and then. I am trying to stay as legal and whatever may happen with it I will just deal with as it happens.

Thanks all, hopefully I don't run into too much trouble, although as of late it seams to find me anyways.

Regs say 10 days in the state change license adn registration.

But as Military you can retain "Home of Record" documentation.

Read this carefully, I will not elaborate further:

You are only subject to emissions laws if you are registered in the state and the DMV has a record of the garaging address in the state.

You get stopped and don't have license, registration, and insurance, you're toast--they can/will impound the car and send you walking home.

An out of state plate is an easy reason to pull you over. They only have to see the plate twice, eleven days apart. Even if your car is legal, getting pulled over can lead to unintended consequences. Food for thought. You'll be watching your back for a year.

An out of state plate is an easy reason to pull you over. They only have to see the plate twice, eleven days apart. Even if your car is legal, getting pulled over can lead to unintended consequences. Food for thought. You'll be watching your back for a year.

This is incorrect.

They have to TICKET or otherwise PROVE you are in the state for more than 10 days, and then what will they do? What jurisdiction do they have if your car is legally registered in your home-of-record state, holding legal plates, legal registration, and legal insurance?

Yeah, good luck proving any justification for ANYTHING!

I've been hit, and had thousands of dollars of damage to my car done, and the circumstances so disturbed the CHP Officer taking the report he came to my house three days later under pretense of 'not having my full address for the report' and then proceeding to tell me the other driver had a suspended California License, but a valid Texas one... with a legal residence, and intention to reside there so "my hands are tied on this matter" and then reiterated three more times that his California License was Suspended, but he had a Valid Texas one. Oh, and that his California license was suspended. Did I mention his California License was suspended, but that he had a Valid Texas License?

Then the lawsuit papers came. And he wasn't in the service.

Keep the car registered legally at your home of record until forced to do otherwise. I recall someone in the state 300% longer than your projected time here driving on SOFA Plates from Overseas...

If you're legal, and have intention of returning to your home of record, it screws their jurisdiction ploys all up.

If you read the CVC, and have the right things to say... not lie, just the right thing to say when asked, there is very little impetus or even reason to change registration.

And I can see many downsides to registering it in the state, outside of the pernicious taxes you will have to pay for the cost of the vehicle and any modifications (or arbitrary value they set forth) when you register it...

I'm not saying to violate registration requirements in CA, nor am I saying to not pay the taxes the Franchise Tax Board feels they are entitled to extract from you simply because you are being TEMPORARILY stationed here in the Sunny California State... Far from it, you should follow all their laws and regulations and pay all the taxes and fees they want. Render unto Ceaser, you know?

You know, you should buy one of those FOP stickers for the back of the car. Make that little donation as well. Out of state plate or not, watch what that investment gets you ...

I lived n California for 6yrs without ever registering my Z there. I did end up having to get a Cali license but that was so I could ride motorcycles. I never had any issues with the cops out there and I even got pulled over a couple times and was never even questioned about my Texas plates. Granted I was in a college town most if time, but given my experience I wouldn't bother registering your car. Especially if you're only going to be there a year not be driving it all that much.

This is incorrect.

They have to TICKET or otherwise PROVE you are in the state for more than 10 days, and then what will they do? What jurisdiction do they have if your car is legally registered in your home-of-record state, holding legal plates, legal registration, and legal insurance?

My point wasn't that you would get a ticket for not registering but that you could get pulled over for the out-of-state plates so the officer could ask you if are new to town, to inform you about the registration law. Once you're pulled over they can start looking at other things. My general rule of dealing with law enforcement is to avoid giving them any reason to get involved in what you're doing. Not that I don't respect what they do, but I like my privacy.

"My point wasn't that you would get a ticket for not registering"

But you won't anyway, so that point is moot.

You're in Oregon, I'm in CA. Please defer to those who have lived, and are living this nightmare currently.

You COULD get pulled over for being white and having long hairl...

You COULD get pulled over for 'not having a rear bumper in place'...

You COULD get pulled over for a light being burned out, or any other number of reasons...

Coulda woulda shoulda.... But you won't get a ticket for not registering. In over 20 years living in the state I have NEVER heard of ANYBODY being ticketed for a violation of the 10 day rule. Not once. Vehicle registration OR driver's license conversion. And MOST DEFIANTLY not MILITARY IN THE STATE ON TDY or PCS Orders! I invite anybody who has or FIRSTHAND can say they've seen such a citation and can cite the CVC Violation Code for it.

One of the Dakotas allows you to register your vehicle in their state complete with plates without actually being a resident, its not a loophole thats just how they roll. Since I live in California and drive a 3/4 ton diesel pickup I considered registering the truck there to avoid the $900 yearly registration fee. When checking the laws regarding out of state license plates I found that the gist is that if you're in the state for more than 20 days, even if the vehicle isn't yours, even if you have no intention of residency you must register the vehicle with the state. Additionally California is pushing residents to rat on people that don't register their vehicles in state: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/08/15/californians-urged-to-report-out-of-state-car-registration-cheats/ . I think the whole thing is a load of crap but that's the raw deal

Why on earth are you even registering it there???

I was stationed at Pendleton for three years and never registered a car in KA. Granted, they may have changed the laws since then, this was the early 90's, but jeez! If all your vitals are current and you're a PA resident serving on orders in KA, they have no business touching your car.

Personally I would put a big, honkin' 8-71 blower sticking out the hood, hang my Nevada tags on the back and tell them to pack sand.