HybridZ

What a Find

Yeah, they were a dealer option as I understand it, and so incredibly rare that you'd never believe one could actually hit the U-Pull yard. Once I tried to give a guy $250 for a decent one, and he didn't even have to think about it. Never thought I would even lay eyes on one, and now I own one . . . . . I had my brother pulling clocks so I could make the quartz hybrid clocks for early Z's. These are literally the first two he sent me. Unreal, it's like having a 10,000 to 1 horse win a race. The case is shiny bright, the front bezel has one tiny crack that's invisible from more than 6" away, and the lens will polish out fine. The oscillator was cut off, but he is going back to see if it is there, if it isn't I will make a new one. Fab a custom trim ring and lens for it, and my '74 will be sportin' some super-rare bling. B) Might be as easy as just drilling two holes in an ammeter lens. The hardest part will be getting the second hand off to repaint it

Edited by twofouroh

Dang! That is super sick! Thought with the second hand it might have been a rally thing, but I didn't realize they were a factory option! Congrats on having some super rate bits for your car! Makes me want to visit the local pick n pull lotto and see if there are any rare bits!

Nice find, was this a JY here in the states?

I have had a two of the 280z style clocks and sold them for about $300 each in working condition.

Did he get you the oscillator for you for your clock? It is needed to make the clock work.....if not tell him to go grab it! Very rare clock and if working sells for good money. You can always send it to Clockz to have it repaired like new but it does cost some $.

Yes, it was a US junkyard. He's going back this weekend to see if it's still there. If not I'll make a new one, or send it off to clockz. I suspect somebody took the oscillator already since it was cut right next to the plug. Why they would pass up the clock too is beyond me. Doesnt really matter to me, it will be fun figuring out how it works.

My little box full of clocks may have just become interesting to me....

5 years in Japan pulling clocks out of dashboards for 100Yen each along with the funky little silver box on the back...

Hmmmm, even with the depressed yen rate (was 268 for most of that time, making those clocks .50 cents in 1985 dollars) that may look like a good payback...

cool.gif

I would definitely be interested in the 'right' little funky box for mine. It was at the end of a 3 foot wire though. Looks to have been screwed to the left firewall next to where the flashlight goes.

Edited by twofouroh

• 2 weeks later...