HybridZ

pictures for subframe connectors

I have been reading about subframe connectors. The most help I saw was some pics from Johnc. I am trying to find some decent pictures to how you fellas are welding the connectors to the subframe. Or more over where on the subframe you are actually welding them to. Also is there a bolt in kit that is being sold that I can bolt up and then weld?

I would appreciate some pictures of this. I have seen a few but they are mostly at very bad angles or just show the floor rails. I get the floor rails, I don't get where you weld them to the rear subframe. Oh, correct me if I an wrong, but I don't think most of you weld to the front subframe just the rear?

I have the pics of my build which look identical to the one posted above.

They don't fit just right. You have to get them close and start tacking them in and add some little chunks of metal in certain places to tie it all in.

What fun that was.

Thanks much fellas, big help. Btw, I don't want to sound stupid but, what the heck is a tc box? I haven't heard that reference before, I have been working on cars for over 10 years now. So you are kinda throwing me through a loop. That is the second reference I have read today.

They don't offer the rear subframe connector for the 280 though. Interference with ARB mounts I believe. I don't know this for sure, but from looking at things, I think you could mount the rear sfc if you were to cut out the stock arb mounts and go to a rear mount setup for arb.

Mines definitly 280Z style as its a 78 260Z. My frame rails are solid so I don't think Its worth adding extra metal there but I would really like to install subframe connecters. Perhaps I can alter the 240Z rear frame rails to fit.

Mines definitly 280Z style as its a 78 260Z. My frame rails are solid so I don't think Its worth adding extra metal there but I would really like to install subframe connecters. Perhaps I can alter the 240Z rear frame rails to fit.

I'm sure if you looked you'd find more info, but I believe the 280 style frame rails are something like 35mm tall and the 240Z stuff is more like 15mm tall. If that is correct, then the aftermarket rails might fit over the top of the existing rails, but they wouldn't hit the floor making it a real PITA to install them.

I'm sure if you looked you'd find more info, but I believe the 280 style frame rails are something like 35mm tall and the 240Z stuff is more like 15mm tall. If that is correct, then the aftermarket rails might fit over the top of the existing rails, but they wouldn't hit the floor making it a real PITA to install them.

You are correct, the 280 style rails are much taller, but they don't go all the way back and the subframe connectors are quite short, therefore it shouldn't be too hard to fab them up to connect, it might not look quite so neat but it should work. I contacted John at bad dog and he says this is what others have done.

www.baddogparts.com

Both 240 and 280 rails are made to fit over existing rails (will just fit over a very clean and undented one with the use of a rubber hammer) or as replacement rails. The fit would add about an 1/8 inch to the bottom of your S30. They are the same length as the OEM rails.

As to the rails not reaching the floors, I'm sorry to say Jon is completely wrong. In fact the contour of the rail is a bit complex to match the actual contour of the floor itself.

If you want to install the 240 rear optional rails on a 280 it can be done but it might not be pretty. A 280 version is in the works for release later next year.

As to rear sway bars the optional rear frame rail will limit the bar's upward movement so you'd need to one like the Suspension Techniques sells.