HybridZ

280z turbo questions

Ozzie831

So I posted this under the S30 section buuut I'm not sure if I posted in the wrong spot so I thought I'd try here.

Hey hows it going?

I have been gathering parts for a turbo build for my 77 280z. I am just wondering what I'm missing.

My parts list so far:

ARP head studs

240sx throttle body with TPS

turbo exhaust manifold

Intercooler and Piping

downpipe

BOV

Fuel pressure regulator

turbo oil pan

oil lines

MSD 6al and ss blaster

aluminum radiator

599cc injectors

Upgraded fuel pump

I know I'm missing a few things such as a turbo, some electric fans, and a Megasquirt (not sure which one I need, so any help here would be really appreciated) but other then that I'm not sure on what else I need. Minds drawing a blank.

Any help is appreciated

Austin

Don't forget.

If you are converting your l28e to turbo you will need the rear sump oil pickup in order to bolt your turbo pan to the n/a block.

Also don't forget about clutch upgrades, (240mm flywheel and clutch kits)

Just take your time, and research EVERY aspect of the turbocharging process. I am undergoing the same project, converting my fresh n42/n42 combo.

There are a lot of little things to consider.

Also don't forget a nice wideband 02 sensor.

Especially with your enormous injectors, tuning will be a problem without this.

sounds good man but like said above wide band is a must and my stock 280zxt clutch crapped out about 12 lbs so get a good one to start you should be fine. aslo why the huge injectors? i make over 300hp on 450cc dsm injectors at like 70% duty cycle. it will be hard to not run rich at idle with out crazy mods on those. good luck tho...

haha thanks for the advice, I forgot about the wide band.

I'm leaving the clutch for now cause it's not to bad and if stuff starts to break it's gonna be the clutch to go.

yes my injectors are massive haha I got them from my buddy who put a turbo on his 633csi bmw haha but he no longer has the car so i just bought his cause they were cheap haha :P.

I also need to know which megasquirt that i need because all the different versions and build your own are getting me all confused hahaha.

I would like to chime in on this, First you WILL need a better clutch. I thought the same thing ( oh I dont need it.... its running stock boost) WRONG!!!! Started slipping about 2 weeks after the install going up a hiil. Just get a nissan hardbody d21 ka24e truck flywheel and clutch. Its under 200 for the whole kit and supports (supposedly) up to 400hp. Its definitely good to 300 though. As far as megasquirt, unless you want to spend buku money on an ms3 with expansion card and coilpacks and other crazy features just go for the ms2 v3.0 pcb. It will do everything you want it to.

Thanks for the link and all the info. Im probably just gonna run an internal wastegate for the time being.

I'm now on the hunt for a turbo. My end game would hopefully be around the 350hp-400hp mark. if anyone could giving me some ideas for which turbo can accomplish that Id be very appreciative. No i don't expect to have 400 out the gate, I'm just looking to work my way there someday haha

sounds good man but like said above wide band is a must and my stock 280zxt clutch crapped out about 12 lbs so get a good one to start you should be fine. aslo why the huge injectors? i make over 300hp on 450cc dsm injectors at like 70% duty cycle. it will be hard to not run rich at idle with out crazy mods on those. good luck tho...

Shenanigans, My injectors flow 830cc/min, idle PW is a little low, but entirely manageable. Driving 2 hours on the highway to an autocross, had 2 drivers and let the car idle for the whole rungroup between runs, and driving 2 hours home resulted in ~24mpg.

Edited by letitsnow

Shenanigans, My injectors flow 830cc/min, idle PW is a little low, but entirely manageable. Driving 2 hours on the highway to an autocross, had 2 drivers and let the car idle for the whole rungroup between runs, and driving 2 hours home resulted in ~24mpg.

How your PW idle is? 1, mine is 1.9 with 450cc DSM on L24ET

hey has anyone heard anything about these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-CAST-IRON-38MM-WASTEGATE-FLANGE-MANIFOLD-TURBO-CHARGER-TURBOCHARGER-ADAPTOR-/190753112022?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c69c57fd6

I was just wondering if anyone has tried one or heard from someone about them.

Edited by Ozzie831