HybridZ

DIFFERENITAL PROBLEM... HELP!

There was someone on this board who used the subie diff with the subia axles (modified to fit of course) and it literally came out to about the same price as just getting the betamotorsports halfshafts. 

The subie axles are cv axles. The Z axles are not. He had to modify the wheel side of the subie axles to work with the datsun wheel bolt pattern ( I think he had a custom made adapter) and he had to shorten the axles, he did that by ordering custom length axles. 

Just "google subie dif in datsun 240z" or something. That's how I found it.

also double check your diff. Here is a picture of an R200, left,  and R180 right:

Diff.jpg

Pretty sure yours is an R200, so the 3.7 isn't really that hard to explain.

Edited by BluDestiny

Looks like you have 3.54 ratio R180 and your tachometer is off.  I have verified that my 1976 tach reads 200 RPM high, for example. 

Sites like the one below, and a quick browse through the FSMs suggest that 3.7 gears are not available in the R180.

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/GearRatios.html

On the other hand, the words/numbers "R180" and "3.7" in Google brought up some suggestions outside the Z world.  Try Maxima's or non-domestic.  Here's one thread -

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/105397-37-rp-for-r180-diff/

Edited by NewZed

I suppose that I could buy a timing light that has a tach reading.  Or I could just pull off the moustache bar and back cover and see what it says. 

If it is a 3.70:1 R180 then it would be from a maxima.  When I got the car it was all messed up with the wrong springs on the rear.  The suspension springs were way to big, so much so they jack the car up an extra 6 inches or so.  That would make sence if he pulled the rear end out of a maxima, I would imagine that the maximas springs are much larger... but this is all just guessing. 

Anyone wanna crawl under their Z and measure their R200?????  Come on... its good exercise! :-)

See picture for side by side view of R180 and R200.

For more information do a Google search:   site: hybridz.org R200  or R180 etc. etc. etc.  You should get a ton of hits.

Or do a Google image search for Datsun R200  etc. etc.

post-178-0-30813700-1357450491_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles