HybridZ

Datsun L24, L26, L28 chain wedge dimensions

JCan

Hello.

I know most of you have a chain wedge, however I found myself needing one and could not find the dimensions on the web easily, so I thought I would remedy the situation.

I built my timing chain wedge out of hard wood I had laying around my garage.  I installed it using the straight side along the drivers side of the motor.  

Check out the pictures and dimensions are provided below.

Enjoy and good luck!

Jim

post-29130-0-14305300-1357510031_thumb.jpg

post-29130-0-37716600-1357510069_thumb.jpg

At one time, I had a beautiful orange chain keeper made of plastic. Not like they sell today, not with sharp angles on it. This was a nice rounded thing with a matched curve to the chain guides and a slight oversize end on it so when you pressed it down the end got past the chain tensioner, pushed it aside, then let the tensioner "snap" back into place to hold everything solidly in place. Never had it fall out, never needed to hammer it in to wedge the chain tightly, just snap in and a light tug to slip back out. It was great.

Some bastard needed it more than me apparently as it disappeared shortly after coming to California. Nobody in Michigan would steal it...it was for them damn furrin cars...

Man I miss that one...

Wiki D - You know, next time I have my front cover off, I'll take the time to accurately measure and build one that more accurately fits in the space.  When I do it I will add the exact dimensions to this site.

Mr Obvious...  I also like the screwdriver idea, but since I have no experience with it I didnt want to risk the new tensioner spring slipping out of it's socket and my having to pull the front cover...   I've done enough rework on the engine. (hate rework)

Thanks!

Jim

Somewhere around HBZ there was a diagram on how to make a good wedge out of some oak door trim. I followed the instructions and made the edeges somewhat rounded with sand paper. It works like a charm!! Nice and snug. I als0 put a brass hook on the end with a bright red zip tie on it, so you can see that is installed.

IIRC the oak was prefered as its a good hard wood and less likely to splinter :-)

Edited by 280zex

If I had a lifestyle that afforded me more time I probably would make one. In my case the hour or so it would take to make a wedge, to me, is worth more than the $10-15 it would cost to pluck it out of the mail box and be done with it. I will spend that hour starting the process of removing the head to see what the heck is making me burn coolant through the exhaust.

Hmm... $8.19... I can't make one out of wood for that price if you consider labor at min. wage.... 

Then again, last time I needed one I just split a piece of wood down to size in about 5 minutes and tapped it in...

Definitely going on my wishlist though.

Exactly... I always had an issue with the wedges you had to 'hammer' in--this uses friction fit from the wedge pushing the chain against the guides to hold tension and maintain the tensioner shoe position. Having had one "pop" before put it in the 'unacceptable to use' column in my tool box, and the plastic one was bought. Maybe it fits down inside and does the same thing without the tactile 'click' of the fancy plastic one.

You feel it push past the tensioner, and nothing is forced, or can be forced awry. I like the feeling of being past the tensioner shoe, I know it's in place and holding then.

My personal preference is to not 'wedge' anything in place when at all possible to avoid it, despite my avatar!

For the price, as gollum says.... I can't make it for that much! If I was a woodsmith with a fine scroll saw, I would copy it in some nice tropical hardwood...maybe teak or that Philippine Iron Wood. Then polish it. I'd make several, as they would evaporate much faster than the blue plastic ones, I'm sure!

Edited by Tony D

If I had time (or had thought of it earlier) I might have planned to purchase a wedge then wait the 3 days for it to come in the mail.  However for those of us who need a wedge, the one I built took me 30 minutes to build using a chop saw and some old beach hardwood I had laying around.

Tony, SRgunz et al.  Once you order your wedge, it would be nice if you would measure it and post it here.  Then when somebody is in a position I was in earlier, they can pull out their chop saw and make a wedge that actually holds the chain tensioner over my wedge design. (which has never failed me!)

Thanks in advance!

The wedge in the first post should be a little bit more "pointy" as I have seen the blunt wedges only hold the chain from moving instead of getting down far enough to address the tensioner itself.

Of course, I have also used a 3 foot long piece of wood I sawzall'd the proper taper onto.