HybridZ

Sad day

Sam280Z

Well, it happened to me. Yesterday evening on my way home form work, while waiting to turn right in the merge lane, I was rear-ended hard by a Tacoma pickup truck. He hit me so hard that the keys came out of the ignition and landed in my lap. The rear is pretty well smashed, hatch  destroyed, and the drivers side door gap is completely closed up. The guy that hit me has Progressive insurance. I'm waiting on the police report and the adjuster. I do not have a good feeling...

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

I had the pleasure of dealing with Progressive a few years ago.  A car never looked a 2 way stop sign and I tried to miss them and ended up hitting their rear quarter.

I had no stop sign and since I did the hitting, the Progressive leach said the accident was 15% my fault.  A very long story short, I won in court.  Since my car  was still useable it was just very aggravating.  I had no recourse but court, they say what they are willing to pay and if you don't like it sue us.  Even if they lose 99% of the cases it is a good business model, personally I think a shity way to treat people.

My favorite line was...'If you don't agree with what we are proposing, you can submit the claim to your ins. carrier'.  Really a-hole, now I should get my rates raised because your company won't pay on a claim.  Piss off.  Even if I had collision on my DD, why would I do that. 

My opinion would be to f-them for every penny you can get.  Go to the dr., get repair costs, whatever you can so when you end up going to court you get the maximum possible.  Once they think you are physically not hurt, let the games begin.  A police report saying they were 100% at fault should help. 

Hope it is not to late, good luck.

I would think they might fight if it was some kinda accident that multiple parties are at fault.  That way they are fighting to cover their own pocketbook.

This seems that the truck was 100% responsible.  You will have to talk to the agent to get your car looked at.  That is the part where they will start to bend you over(the bumper in this case).  Make sure to get the accident report, see your dr., cover you ass as much as possible, literally.

Remember they are in busness to take your premiums,  not give it back and when they have to, as little as possible.  Your local adjuster, let call them "dick wad" is looking to make their monthly quota of f-ing people over.

The waste of dna that looked at my car offered a check after they finished looking at the car.  I think this is a Progressive thing, people take money in-hand and move on.  I said bite me and ripped it in half.

Are ya feelin' my love of all things insurance.

B&G

I have had Farm Bureau since 1988 and have never filed an auto claim. After Hurricane Gustav, I was made whole very quickly on my homeowners policy. Right now, I am dealing with them. Hopefully I will not have to deal directly with Progressive.

I have to say, the ONLY reason you drove away was that rear bumper!

We rear ended a stopped Dodge Neon in out 77 LeMons car over a blind crest at 70mph, put him out of competition, we yanked that huge bumper back out and DIDNT miss a lap the next morning!

I'm glad I had not had the chance to replace it with the fiberglass 240Z bumper yet.

I have to give credit to progressive. So far they have been very professional and responsive - albeit when I call them. They have set up a rental car for me. I'm just waiting on the adjuster to contact me. 

It's starting to go south. I'm trying to get a rental which I need for work on Monday. The drivers seatbelt on my wreck will not extract and the rear suspension is a bit squirrelly. Progressive had set up a rental at enterprise but neglected to supply the required insurance. I only carry collision on my Z and enterprise requires comprehensive. No one from progressive is available to authorize this.

They are not going to just give you a rental.  It is ususally a per diem allowance, mine was $35/day.  I had to use my ins. to cover the rental agreement.

They will give you a check if you don't take the rental, of little use if your boss pissed at you for being late.  The rental was only authorize for the actual repair time.

So lets say they will give four days for repair, you get the car four days.  My question was what if parts are not on hand, or the shop is backed up.  Sorry, that is your problem. 

BTW, I did not want to give the impression that Progressive was any way unprofessional or rude(They got less happy to talk to me after losing in court).  It takes a special kind of a-hole to be polite and still f-you over.

I guess I was very luck, I had the ability to still drive my car, so being dicked around was only a aggravation.  A customer of mine was in a accident on vacation, their personal car, not their fault and they got screwed.  They could not afford to stay around to fight the ins. co. and had to pay for the repairs themselves.

Now I don't know if submitting the claim to their ins. would of helped.  Maybe...

Also, you don't have to go to Enterprise try another rental co, again they allow x dollars/day wherever you go.  A license and proof of basic ins. should be enough.

B&G

They did give me a rental. I think it is because my car is not safe to drive. I ended up fronting Progressive the cost for the comprehensive insurance on the rental. I'm only putting about $80 at risk. We'll see how they handle it.

it is currently impossible to get a progressive rep on the phone.

Sorry to hear what happened and glad you're ok. From what I was reading I thought it was alot worse than what it initially looked like in the pictures. Not saying its not bad as it seems theres more than body damage unfortunatly. I hate to see anything bad happen to our Z's. It seems like they're starting to become endangered species but the big bumpers really took quite a bit of the damage. I've seen slim bumper swapped Z's rear ended before and the entire hatch itself can cave in...

This really makes me rethink swapping out my rear fat bumper... the slim bumpers look great but offer zero protection. One of my greatest worries is being rear ended since I live in a not-so-great driving state...

Your car is also the same color as my car :( Lets hope its repairable and will be back on the road soon!

Edited by sito

sorry to hear what happened. I had similar damage when my z fell off a small cliff and a tree almost went through the hatch. If the homemade bumper the previous owner put on not been there she would have been a goner. 

120114_0551.jpg

111220_0260.jpg

I know yours might have suffered more than just body damage but I hope you can work through it. Good luck!

If you have a Platinum Card,and now many gold cards, they buying of insurance by Enterprise is not mandatory. They still try to upsell, but if you buy what they offer you screw yourself out of the benefits provided by your card!

Any of my rentals have the "trash it" covered...

Check your card... You may already have coverage.

sorry to hear what happened. I had similar damage when my z fell off a small cliff and a tree almost went through the hatch. If the homemade bumper the previous owner put on not been there she would have been a goner. 

120114_0551.jpg

111220_0260.jpg

I know yours might have suffered more than just body damage but I hope you can work through it. Good luck!

Damn thing just fell right off, I told it not to but it didn't listen.

The door jams are never a good sign, as I am finding out with my accident.... When the adjuster comes out, maybe you can get the hatch open, look in the spare tire well. See if it is crunched in there. I know with my accident the spare tire privided a good buffer, and you could see the fuel tank (between the seats and the trunk) was jutting outward and to the side. Thank god for tire, too bad it was an expensive wire wheel.... Seems like a lot of Z's are getting the wrath in the past few months! :icon55:  Good luck to you

Thanks. I do have the coverage. Problem is Progressive is paying for the rental directly.

Although, this could explain why the guy at Enterprise only put a $1 hold on my Discover Card until I "got it figured out with Progressive".

Edited by Sam280Z