HybridZ

Basic pieced together rear brake conversion - with parts that are available?

So I think Ive decided to stick with a fresh set of 240z front brakes on my street V8Z. Then I quickly found out that converting the rears is a bit more complicated than i remember. Availability and/or part costs have changed it seems. 

The maxima rear brackets are not available it seems. The proper 240sx calipers for the MM kit are pricey! Silvermines kit is overkill when matched to the stock fronts.

Can I still do a basic rear disk conversion by piecing together *available*parts? I'm simply trying to convert my rear to disk and match it somewhat closely to the stock 240z front setup.

TIA

Jason 

A bolt on solution is the following: 

RWD maxima brackets

82-83 280zx Rotor

82-83 280zx Caliper. 

The only difficult part is finding the RWD maxima brackets, just search the yards and be prepared to pull a stub axle. 

What year for the maxima brackets? What about the break lines? Is it all bolt up? Or are thos parts just bolt up and get you started? I plan on doing this as soon as i get my z but if there is more information on how to that would be great.

I'm with 1tuffz.  I have the maxima package and it has a great emergency brake function, but it is no better in stopping power than the stock drums-maybe worse.  Disc brakes ARE, however, eaiser to work on, so I have enjoyed how easy it is to remove a caliper when I tear down my rearend for coil spring swapping and stuff like that.  Unfortunately, the only rear discs that seem to work worth a flip are the Silvermine kit, but they require larger wheels than 15" and I've got several sets of 15" that I use and I don't want to replace them all (daily driver tires, drag wheels, autocross tires).  As usual, Nissan did a pretty good job designing the brake system that they put into production 40 years ago.

Besides the disks being much easier to service, I also think the prices for the drum rebuilt pieces are ridiculous. The exaggerated charge for wheel cylinders alone was enough to make disks my choice for the rear.

I'm still on the fence about doing 4x4 front calipers up front with the maxima rear swap. I think a good, rebuilt set of stock front brakes may balance well with the maxima rear single pistons. Balance is important for over all stop distance and I dont want to mess with a proportioning valve really. Opinions?

I like the ease of maintenance, the e-brake working better is something I ilke as well and yes the looks ide say are a nice bonus. However I will most likey go with the MM kit. I found a link in one of the pinned threads. I know I could go with using yard parts, but I like the confort of knowing I have all new parts. Brakes are something im not going to cheap out on.

Besides the disks being much easier to service, I also think the prices for the drum rebuilt pieces are ridiculous. The exaggerated charge for wheel cylinders alone was enough to make disks my choice for the rear.

Not positive but I think that you could swap the 240z backng plate for a 77-78 280Z backing plate and keep the drums, with wheel cylinders costing about $15 each.  You'd have to pull the axles to get the plate off. 

Or you could swap the whole strut assembly and get stronger axles also.  Might be worth considering with a V8, if you come across the parts.  If you're running an R200, or plan to, it might also relieve the u-joint half-shaft binding problem.

Edited by NewZed

I already have an R200 with CVs. My struts are converted to coilovers also so no swapping for me.

I'm still leaning towards rebuilt stock front 240Z calipers w/drilled solid rotors & some sort of maxima bracket w/280zx drilled rotors and caliper in the back. I am thinking this combo will be well balanced in stopping power front to back and not require a larger master cylinder. I havent bought anything yet though..

The 280zx rear caliper has a larger bore than the Maxima.  If you notice the 240z has a larger diameter rotor than either the maxima or 280z.  The 240z and maxima have the same bore of FRONT caliper.  This means that even though they have roughly the same clamping force from the calipers, the 240z has more braking effort due to the larger rotor.  If you are shooting for a balanced rear setup you would need to either enlarge the rear disk diameter or go with a larger piston in the caliper. 

Below are the stats for 240z/280zx/Maxima. 

280zx rear bore size:  1.69".  Rear rotor diameter is 10.15"

Maxima rear bore size is 1.5".  Rear rotor diameter is 10.15"

240 front 2.12"    10.67" 

280zx front   2.38"   9.92"

Maxima front  2.12.  9.83" 

I am currently running a stock master cylinder, stock fronts and 280zx rotor/caliper with maxima bracket.  My brakes feel great. 

The reason for me upgrading at the time was aluminum rotors were not available, and some of the hardware was becoming scarce.  Also the discs give more consistent brake force compared to a drum. 

I don't know why people look to the maxima or 240sx calipers, aside from they can.  The calipers are simply too small to balance with stock front brakes.  I had the fronts upgraded to the large 4x4 calipers, and I pulled them off.  They were way too big in my opinion. 

Rejracer.

That is exactly the setup I'm planning on so its good to hear that they work well for you. I've already bought the rebuilt 240z front calipers and now Im trying to source drilled rotors for reasonable prices. 

I'm still 'shopping' for the maxima rear brackets and the drilled 280zx rotors and 280zx calipers. As always, I'm still open to suggestion.

A bolt on solution is the following: 

RWD maxima brackets

82-83 280zx Rotor

82-83 280zx Caliper. 

The only difficult part is finding the RWD maxima brackets, just search the yards and be prepared to pull a stub axle. 

Can anyone confirm these parts all work together.

And is there a spec somewhere for what machine work it takes to fit the fwd maxima brackets? Or if someone makes a bracket to fit the late ZX calipers?