HybridZ

Fuel injection

jonmerc

i recently bought a 1971 240z that has been engine swapped with a 1977 280z engine it has been converted back to the su carbs wanted to know what i needed to convert it back or if there are any shop here in san diego that could save me the trouble of doing it

Those SU carbs can perform quite nicely if you take the time to learn about them. A good quality rebuild can do wonders for them.

And no, converting it back to fuel injection is not going to be a simple plug-n-play operation. Unless you plan to spend some significant time and money to do it right, you're better off to stick with the SUs. My two cents.

If you haven't researched those SU carbs yet, here is a good resource: http://www.ztherapy.com/

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i just dont want have to keep adjusting the carbs all the time i would like efi to have a track tune a very mild tune it is a track car stripped out roll cage suspension, brake etc etc done i would just like to be able to enjoy it to work some days with out getting 12 mpgs race tune all the time

If you adjust them properly and they are in good condition, then it's a set-and-forget thing. You just don't screw with them. Check them in the spring, and in the fall, and that's it.

The stock ECU isn't going to have a "race tune" and a "street tune"...it's the stock tune, all the time. You'd need an aftermarket system to do that, and as far as I can tell no one currently sells a plug-and-tune turnkey system for the L28 in the US.

i wasn't planning on using the stock ecu at all i have an AMS i used on another car  the same way as i mentioned there is no way i was planning on using an ECU from a 1977 to tune i know a little more than that . what i don't know is carbs and having to adjust them from what is my rich track set up to a more efficient setting when i take it on the street

From Post #1 - "wanted to know what i needed to convert it back"

i wasn't planning on using the stock ecu at ..... as i mentioned there is no way i was planning on using an ECU from a 1977 to tune i know a little more than that . what i don't know is carbs and having to adjust them from what is my rich track set up to a more efficient setting when i take it on the street

You're sending mixed messages, and poorly formatted at that.

Hi zmenbers i need help when i start to open the throttle the air fuel ratio is to rich and with full throtttle leans out like 13.7to14.7 at the wide band band sensor . what could be the problem the car is 280zxturbo stock electronics 370svo mustang injectors tweaked air flow meter to get smoooth idle the fuel pressure is 20 at idle and 90psi at    full         throttle   new rem. air flow meter o2sensor msd blaster coil spark plugs wires checked new cylinder head temp sensor  but the ecu signal cant open the injectors  fully to reach a safe  air fuel ratio somebody in hybrid can help me. what could be this.