HybridZ

Yep another Bob Sharp Racing Valve cover on eBay

ArchetypeDatsun

So I'm also registered to zdriver and noticed a guy wanting to find out the value of his valve cover he pulled off his 280zx that did not cost him nothing. It only took one guy to say "hey i saw go for $3k not to long ago" well if I wasn't surprised it went up on eBay. I'm all for making some money but this is ridiculous to me.

Take a look at the eBay listing and give me your opinion on his asking price, fair or not fair? Also read the description.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181096969340?item=181096969340&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Here's zdriver forum post

http://www.zdriver.com/forums/sale-view-all-69/bob-sharp-cam-cover-oil-cap-steering-wheel-sale-37230/

Zcar forum post

http://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/316809-bob-sharp-racing-cam-cover-steering-wheel-oil-cap.html

Edited by ArchetypeDatsun

As a seller he can ask whatever price he wants for his parts.  If someone is willing to pay his asking price, its not at all ridiculous.  If no one buys it the part, its overpriced.  His sales pitch is designed for the non-car person.

People with money can buy what they what for how much they want. People can sell whatever they want as long as there's a demand for it. People that complains about how much an item cost should start a new hobby like walking or something it's free.

If I liked bob sharp crap I would pay 3k, doesn't mean I'm a fool, means I make more money and don't know what to do with it, how life sucks right???

• Like 1

LOL "I have disposable income, how my life sucks!" LOL

Priceless commentary on the situation.

I'm not against people making some extra cash but with these kind of items who knows how much they will go for in the future if it does sell for asking price.

Yes, like someone who raises the bar for the other cheapskates that came to the game.

I watched an EBay auction for a set of three HKS ITB's... Got sniped because of my Internet going down at the house my bid was not entered, he got the bodies for $400. Sent a message to the winning bidder "if you decide to sell, call me first"

He did. I got them for $2,000 three years later.

I know what he paid, my subsequent sets have been newer, and others period correct contemporaneous competitive brands, for LESS. But not by much. Seen them sell for more as well.

I WANTED them. None of this stuff is a NEED. It's not war profiteering or selling bottled water for $100 / gallon that you trucked in from your house water tap filling bottles in a disaster area to dehydrated victims...

You worry about "what it will do to the prices of these items in the future"? Do you suppose they would otherwise go DOWN? Maybe people would forget their rarity... Or something along those lines?

You really haven't priced a water pump bushing from a Tucker recently, have you?

"Rare" does not necessarily mean "valuable", but "scarce & popular" is a recipient for revenue enhancement!

For the record, people cursed me for sniping a set of MFI manifolds for a Datsun because I bid (and won) $445. Previous to that, they were in the $150-200 range.

Apparently I was a penny more desirous and thinking similarly to at least one other person who bid $444...

After that bidding escalated on the next set. Same with HKS Turbo Surge Boxes... Once people found out about them, and then started to realise they weren't around every blade of grass...they appreciated the fact that they may need to buck up $$$ to get something!

How much would it cost you to MAKE ONE?

That is my barometer. And not pie-in-the-sky BS estimates, either... REALWORLD costs of production of a new item in the same quality class?

If its cheaper to buy it than make it... Little to say if its something you WANT!

Insanity is spending more to make something that doesn't function as well or look as good.

Insanity is not paying $3,000 for a valve cover that will cost you $3,500 to reproduce!

Edited by Tony D

TONY please let's not discuss the HKS ITB story. You know how long I been bugging you about that? Lol I was willing to pay more than 2k for your set but nope.... You DEATHSTAR!!!!!

Let's talk about where the money goes when you get a shipment from Japan.... No one factors in shipping prices equation as well. I spent over 3k in shipping alone last year just in shipping parts for my s30. Parts might be "cheap" in Japan but shipping might cost how much the item is worth.

If your cheap its best to keep your mouth shut and go kick rocks. Or you could try and make that piece you couldn't afford, then finding out it cost more money/time to make. Then you'll end up coming back to read what Tony said and than ending up kicking yourself with your shoe stuck up your.....muffler

What I ment was If it's $3500 now I'm sure 5-10 years from now maybe $5-6 or 7 thousand? I doubt people will forget the rarity even now days on these kind of items but as you said rare doesn't mean valuable.

I don't fabricate but I admire the people that do, I've bought items that were pretty spendy never complain since I had the money.

I guess for me it's strange to see these valve covers go for that much last year what $250 and up from a few I have seen clean or dirty.

I'm not cheap as I said if money is not an issue I'll buy it. I've had some expensive stuff that sold and not make a profit to just help the next guy for parts or something they were looking for that benefit them to have.

Yes, nobody considers shipping on JDM Parts. I got a beautiful FET manifold for $70 on yahoo Japan auctions. It then sit for almost a year before I could go get it. As a result, I paid around $100 for a triple manifold because I refused to pay shipping cost EQUAL to the part itself!

But a valve cover for $7,000? If someone really WANTS it that badly. I highly doubt it.

There becomes a point where (as I said) cost of reproduction is cheaper than buying an original. Then they start being reproduced.

There are idiots buying stuff all the time on EBay for "rare NOS Datsun parts" which never occurs its in a current stock Nissan box with a current part number on it. Local Nissan dealer likely could have had it in a few days for the same price if not less.

Lazy=Stupid in my book.

So they sold for $250 a year ago. Nobody knew they were available. Now they know and they WANT...

WANT is a bitch. And if you're ADDHD and need instant gratification...then YOU PAY!

What's a genuine S20 DOHC Nissan Valve Cover worth to you? To hang on the wall? There are people who have SAID prices pretty high "IF THEY COULD ONLY GET ONE"... So how much of a premium is my facilitation worth?

If they are selling for $200, and someone said they were willing to pay $800 for one...and I get him one for that price and he is happy until someone buzzkills him...who's at faut? The guy who said he wanted the part, stated a prices then got it for that? Of course not! Today's. culture is that he's a mere VICTIM... OF A RAPACIOUS SELLER! Not of his OWN lack of self control, lack of research, lack of this or that... Because PERSONAL responsibility needs to be abdicated so everybody has an excuse. It's someone else's fault!

When 73's needed smog in SoCal I paid $450 for a stock proper 73 Air Cleaner. They are given away today, maybe you get $50 for one. But THEN if I wanted my car registered, I NEEDED that Air Cleaner. So I paid. It was the last legal smog I did in LA until January of this year...

My bet the fire dies, and someone is stuck with a $3,000 white elephant indistinguishable from a repop item... Then they can post about how Datsuns are terrible "investments" and how you have all these rare parts you paid top dollar acquiring but how you can't sell the car or what you have into it, blahblahblah...

And someone like me quotes "Dighera's Axiom" yet once again:

"A car is a hole in space, suspended there by four rubber doughnuts, doughnuts which you can not eat.

Into this hole, you throw money, which never gets returned!"