HybridZ

Trailer Hitch & Tire Trailer

BLOZ UP

I'd like to tow a small trailer with my 77. I've seen some hitches installed on Zs from the dealer, anyone have one? I can't find any for sale, and I only found this thread that talks about making a custom one, but the pics are borken.

I suppose I could make one as well. I can weld up to around 1/4" steel with my TIG. I'd rather spend the time making a trailer though.

I'd like to make a tiny single axle trailer for towing 4 wheels and a toolbox (or toolbox holder). Bonus features: icebox slot, cup holder. The goal is something really nice for autox.

Edited by BLOZ UP

I feel like Tony D and JohnC should definitely chime in. I just brought my car to Uhaul, told them that they have a hitch online that says it will fit and paid them $250. Then bolts it to the underside of the frame and the rear bumper. I'm pretty sure that was the wrong way, but it got a 1200# trailer from FL to Ca in the middle of January. 

PICT0026.jpg

I know for a Z there should probably be some bracing on the underside. I believe JohnC talked about it at one time. 

I used to run a hitch on my 240Z.  It was custom made and I used to ahve pics somewhere but I can't find them now.  I'll try to describe it:

1.  A large tab is welded to the center of rear transverse link brace with a hole for a 3/4" bolt.

2.  A flat piece of steel, 1/4" thick by 2" wide is bent to go from the tab to behind the rear bumper (centered) closely following the contour of the fuel tank and rear valance.

3.  Behind the rear bumper and between the body of the bumper is a square tube (1 1/4" x .083" wall) that spans and is bolted to the stock rear bumper mounts.  You will need to weld tabs to this square tube to match up with the bumper mounts.

4.  The flat steel piece in #2 is welded to this square tube and bolted to the tab on the rear transverse link brace with a 3/4" grade 8 bolt..

5.  A hitch tongue is welded to the junction of the flat steel piece and square tube extending out behind the bumper.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I've seen pics of one like that ages ago.

Uhaul says they have one but "have discontinued it but might still have inventory", but it's awfully expensive.

I think I can fabricate something similar to that but for a 280Z for < 200 bucks.

Any ideas on a tire, or autocross trailer? 4 tires... a chest... I'm thinking built in mini air compressor?

Looks like many have done this before. The Harbor freight utility trailer is a great place to start.

http://www.mainstreet-data.com/trailer/

https://www.google.com/search?q=autocross+tire+trailer&hl=en&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tuZVUdOKCei60gH4voGgDg&ved=0CEsQsAQ&biw=1198&bih=767

Trailer?  Who needs a trailer? :)

[img=http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee194/h4nsm0l3m4n/datsun/autox/FILE0013.jpg]

[img=http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee194/h4nsm0l3m4n/datsun/autox/FILE0014.jpg]

[img=http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee194/h4nsm0l3m4n/datsun/autox/FILE0015.jpg]

4 15x10 wheels/tires, modest toolbox with essential tools and fluids, jack, and still room for a friend!

What kind of roof rack is that?

A 280Z has a 5 MPH bumper, which is more than strong enough to bolt a generic tongue to and start off croo pun try. The shocks holding the bumper are stronger attachments than anything you will make otherwise.

All that under car stuff is unrequited on a Fat-Bumper Car.

Go ask U-Haul for a hitch for an 83 ZX, that is your basic pattern for the 74/6-78 fat-bumper cars.

I bolted the old bumper hitch from my dad's 77 Impala onto the 280Z I had, it fit like a glove. Four holes and some fine thread bolts fished inside to out with Class C metal locknuts and it was done in about 30 minutes.

The "customisation" on 5mph external chromed bumpers consists softly of the locking mechanism inside the bumper that keeps the bolts from turning when you tighten the nuts...

• 3 weeks later...

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/106433-trailer-hitches/

I added additional bracing to the last pictures on this thread (from 2012) because I could flex the 'big bumper' quite a bit by standing on the trailer ball.  The new bracing went from the bottom of the receiver weldment to the trunk, between the rear valence and the spare tire well.  It did wonders for stiffening it all up.  I've towed a 6x8 trailer with it, but I normally use it for my receiver mount bike rack. 

I also slid a thin sheet of nylon reinforced rubber between the bumper and the hitch so it wouldn't rust from the two pieces of metal touching and beating up the chrome.  So far so good.

Edited by yellowoctupus

• 1 month later...

How much trailer weight are you guys towing?  People (truck owners I guess) always seem to freak out about towing with unibody cars. I tow a ~1500 lb boat & trailer with my is300 and it does fine with the hitch just bolted to the sides of the spare tire well.

any idea what a pickup bed trailer would weigh? I'm guessing it would be in that 4-700# range. Not much. I'm planning on making a bolt-in hitch that attaches to where the rear bumper shocks used to be..... we'll see how it works.