HybridZ

Looking for an Electric Die Grinder Comparable to my Pneumatic

I know I'm probably just dreaming here, but maybe you guys know of something that I don't!

I just moved to a new place, leaving the shop I did all of my fab-work in about 4 hours away. Getting a compressor with enough power to meet the CFM requirements of a decent die grinder is completely out of the question :(

That being said, I'm looking for something that I can plug in and still get adequate performance out of. A dremel just isn't going to cut it!

I'm looking for something that has a 1/4" collet and at least a quarter hp, if not more. I believe my IR die grinder was rated at 1/3hp@20kRPM and would still seriously bog on heavy stuff. 

Does anyone know if something like this exists in an electric version? I'm not having much luck finding anything.

Edited by cockerstar

Honestly, the harbor freight one works ok. It has a fair amount of torque and as long as you don't put a big bit in it (I was hogging out holes and such) it works fine. It is a bit ungainly in size though so not too great if you need to get into tight areas. If you get the warranty on it, you can just take it back and swap it out when the carbon brushes go out or a piece wears out, the only thing that really bothered me is that some people reported the shaft breaking, so I always wear some kind of eye protection.

If you want to go a bit more authentic you can get a roto-zip. That thing is a beast of a tool and will easily wear out any dremel bit you stick in it, if anything you need to step up to a bigger shank. With the torque it generates it is a bit of a shock when you use it though.

If you want to use the air compressor you can always buy two cheaper compressors and run them in tandem, but that does kick up the energy bill quite a bit.

http://www.flapperadapter.com/

I have been giving this a try. I just received it the other day, and although the principle seems to be sound, I haven't got it to run "true" yet. The bits have a some wobble to it when installed. I have been working with the vendor and they have been very willing to resolve this. I love the concept and it should work, but mine hasn't yet.

Looks very interesting, and for $40 it's reasonable!

I don't know if I'll be able to get the control out of it that I'm looking for, but maybe I can find a smaller angle grinder that will better suit the job.

The closest thing that I've been able to find are the flexible shaft grinders with the bigger motors. I think that if I had both of them I could do just about everything I do with my three die grinders (straight, long straight, and 90* head) without the need for a 220v compressor.

I know I'm probably just dreaming here, but maybe you guys know of something that I don't!

I just moved to a new place, leaving the shop I did all of my fab-work in about 4 hours away. Getting a compressor with enough power to meet the CFM requirements of a decent die grinder is completely out of the question :(

That being said, I'm looking for something that I can plug in and still get adequate performance out of. A dremel just isn't going to cut it!

I'm looking for something that has a 1/4" collet and at least a quarter hp, if not more. I believe my IR die grinder was rated at 1/3hp@20kRPM and would still seriously bog on heavy stuff. 

Does anyone know if something like this exists in an electric version? I'm not having much luck finding anything.

I have a DeWalt Electric die grinder - I believe its this one:

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/metalworking-grinders-die-grinders-dw887.aspx

They make a heavy duty one that is rated at .65hp and 19000rpm if this one isn't big enough.  It's pretty much my favorite tool in my toolbox.

I've got a Dremel saw that takes a 1/4" shank, and it has a flexible shaft but it only take a 1/8" shank. The saw part on it's own is bulkier than a pneumatic grinder, but if you can get away with 1/8" bits, the flex shaft is a lifesaver. With the rotary saw attachment and circle cutting attachment, it's many useful tools in one. Biggest downside for die grinding is that the speed control is on a wheel, so you don't have the control you get with a pneumatic grinder.

I've tried the HF grinders, but vibration was an issue as with most cheapies. It fatigues the hands very quickly. You about have to put up some bucks for a good one . The flapper adapter is a decent option but has limitations. I like using the angle grinder because they are bigger and absorb better and control is better. Size can be limiting too.

I don't mind ponying up the money to spend on some real tools, but there is something to be said for $50 disposable ones, especially with the frequency that I'll be using them. The HF one is also 4.3A, which is definitely plenty of grunt.

That 3A DeWalt one looks like it would fit the bill perfectly, and it's only about $130. The Makita one is also a bit cheaper and offers a bit more power. I own power tools from both brand and haven't had a problems in the least.

Thanks for all of the input guys! Now I just need to make a decision. I've gotten so used to my pneumatic tools! I'm really missing all of my media blasting and powder coating stuff already :(

I just have to keep telling myself that I only have to deal with this stuff for a year...

I had a Japanese Flexible Shaft that was connected to a 3/4 horsepower electric motor (3565 rpm) with a shaft adapter. I found I had to bolt down the motor because I couldn't bog the motor to the capacitor centrifugal switch without it flipping off it's base and twisting the cord around the body pulling it out of the wall... I probably should not hog so hard....

That Japanese Shaft was small, and came with a 1/4 and 1/8 collet insert. I have not found another like it since. I scour hardware shops in Asia looking to find a replacement as after 20 years of use I successfully separated the handpiece from the flexible wrapping of the shaft. So much better than the Jacobs Chucks on everything else. 

The key to this shaft was it was 20,000 rpm rated. I hooked it to a Makita Grinder with another shaft adapter and it was beautiful. I paid $50 for it in 1987, likely $100+ now, but that shaft was beautiful! Could do anything I could do with a die grinder, but because the hand piece was maybe 12-15mm in diameter was like using an extended nose die grinder without the weight.

I bought it and did the electric motor thing for the same reason: no air for the pneumatic stuff at home. Started with a washing machine motor, and moved up quickly as I found hogging aluminum with coarse bits was easy at 3500rpms when you can really bear down. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES! Those chips are SHARP and FLY!

I have Several HF Electric Die Grinders now, bought on sale (when they have stock) and I chuck different tools in different grinders. Spreads the load over several grinders, making them last longer I suppose. But for the price...meh!

Edited by Tony D

...that shaft was beautiful!...

Sorry I am really immature >.<

I do the same thing with my angle grinders from HF, stick a different tool/disc in each one or multiples of the same one, and I also keep a spare. I keep two in service and one for backup. When one dies, replace it with the spare and go to harborfreight to exchange the broken one. Unless I wear them out in the 60 day period (which I have done a few times), it only costs me 10$ for the replacement with the warranty. Plus every year or so they do an update to the housing, so if the tool wears out and only the new one is available they swap them out.