HybridZ

Plasti-dip = 1 blue Z

280zex

To get a gloss look they actually recommend a clear coat, once the clear is on there I imagine it adds a bit of durability, but I can see it being a bit more difficult to pull off if you chose later on. As long as you spray it on pretty thick and make sure you don't leave edges it stays on pretty well. I have a few hand tools that I have dipped the handles of and they handle some pretty regular abuse.

Edited by seattlejester

Has anyone ever pastidipped a dash? I've never used it, would it build high enough to disguise a foam crack repair?

My friend did, looks good too. However you need to make sure that the prep work is done well, as the plasti-dip will show the flaws easily. Remember that plasti-dip has a very strong chemical smell, so use with good ventilation, and NOT INDOORS!!!

• 1 month later...

I just peeled off my dip after 9 months and it was as it says.  EASY.  For sections I only did 4 coats (mistake) it was a bit harder but just use a micro fibre cloth and elbow grease.  No damage done to my clear coat.  But was not nice to some of my older chrome when I put it on.  

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is the key is to go overboard with the number of coats, or you will severely hate your life come time to remove it. I'm basing this on the fact that my self and countless friends have never had plastidip come off easily. ever. A friend sprayed his race car with 8 gallons, the removal took as much time as the sanding when he got a proper paint job a year later. Another friend had similar experience when did a trial run of orange plastidip on his wheels, a friend who owns a shop offered to paint them properly in Signal Orange, but had no choice but to charge labour for the hours of elbow grease required to remove it. We did the center section of the wing on our Evo III rally car, but some motor oil spilled on it and desolved a section. Then we began trying remove and respray it, but gave up when we found how difficult it was to remove (had 4 coats). 

Not to sh*t on the product (it has it's place, like blacking out the badges on your leased vehicle :P), but before going ahead with it, consider if you're just "dipping" something because you can, or because you legitimately want it to look like it was done in bed liner. If you're going for the matte look, a course matte paint will require only slightly more prep (masking aside), and will survive many conditions that Plastidip won't, like exposure to oils, solvents, pressure washers, bird poop (I've heard this dissolves Plastidip). Maybe I'm just bitter because the product has lead to the most tasteless wave in car "modifications", people painting random parts in random colours just because they can without consequence.  I would say it's a great way of temporarily protecting parts like while and chin spoilers while changing up the colour. Also I will also confess the idea of doing my whole car in dessert sand crossed my mind as temporary interim paint job, but at $20 a can here in Canada, I'll save my pennies and do it right the first time. 

Hope I did't offend anyone  :icon54: