HybridZ

Is this L28 worth it?

ChrisZX2

I've pulled engines from cars that have sat for 10 years and were in way worse shape then that. Installed them and have gone another 100K miles. Pull the valve cover and check the oil for contamination. It's surprising how tough tough these engines are. If its cheap enough go for it.

I've used two junkyard engines in my friends cars. We literally pulled the engine/tranny, put it in a truck, brought it back and dropped it in same day and did nothing more than a really good tuneup/fluid flush. worked fine and pulled hard. These engines are bullet proof

That being said you need to look for half decent engines in the JY. Don't go buying one with everything open to the element or a bunch of rust, and look for telltale signs of overheating/running with no oil (hot spots on the cams, leaking head gaskets etc.)

That engine looks like a great candidate since it's all sealed up etc. I would first put like a quart of oil in, then take a breaker bar and check if it turns over freely, and if you have time or its not going anywhere I would do a compression test. just rent a tester from an auto store and take it to the junkyard.

Also I don't know if you're planning on trying to make the stock efi work, but if you aren't you could always convert to carbs

Edited by BluDestiny

Crack or cut a fuel line and see how fresh the gas is.  That will give you an idea on potential for the EFI parts, like injectors, FPR and fuel rail.

The 78 engine in my 76 now sat for ten years (I bought the whole car and the tags were ten years old) before it was re-energized.  It's in great shape, no oil-burning, no blow-by, no problems.

I second the fact that they are very tough motors. I've dished out gobs of abuse on this one second hand L24 i'm running in my one car and it takes every bit of it and keeps on running. Main thing the guys pointed out, smell of gas is a HUGE indicator of the condition of a JY motor.  In addition to the oil.  Sometimes i'll take the oil filter off and cut them open, look for particulates that are brass, can indicate main bearing problems.

My L28 came from JY. Ended up being in great shape. Good compression and

uses no oil. Converted to carbs so no EFI parts to worry about.

I like yours is still sealed up. Many have valve cover removed with head parts missing.

It is then left to sit in the weather and engine fills with water and dirt.

If it's in a U-pull yard, they aren't going to budge on price. Pull the valve cover and check for stuck valves before you buy...I just came back from the pull-a-part in nashville and found two perfectly good L28's, and one with a stuck valve and heavily dinged piston.

In other words, I made a good haul today for not a lot of money...