HybridZ

Transmission swap questions

noilan

It's an acronym.  The middle letter stands for Service.

You could also take a multimeter and measure what's happening on the wires under various conditions.  Reverse, neutral, key on, key off, etc.  Puzzle it out.

Or you could just drive the car around and see what doesn't work anymore.

Edited by NewZed

It says my transmission should have 4 switches, mine only has 1

also the FSM doesn't have a BE section so i looked in the MT section but it doesn't show anything that plugs into the transmission it just shows what the transmission has

You figured out FSM.

BE = Body Electrical.  The ZX FSM does not have a Body Electrical chapter, but does have an Electrical chapter.  That would be the next logical place to look.

Have you tried to figure out what the one (1) switch does?  Is the 5 speed from a ZX or a Z?  That would be a factor in number of switches.

Hint:

The wires that cause your problem are related to the automatic you removed, not the manual you installed.

Body Electrical Section should contain the wiring diagram that spells out the missing link here.

I'm guessing that you'll need to jumper a couple of wires to make the electrical circuit think the transmission is in Neutral or Park so that the starter will engage.  In addition, you'll need to find the wire that turns on the reverse lights.

Edited by Pilgrim