HybridZ

71 z 1 owner Should I?

FLC

I have  a chance to buy a 71 240z 1 owner with paper work 90k miles all original. but the car is pretty rusty in the rocker panels and around the trunk seal, the floors aren't to bad and the battery box is still in decent shape the cars been parked outside behind a barn for 27 yrs  the brakes are froze up he also said something about the hood being black from the factory is that some kind of special package i asked he said he didn't know? Is the fact it's a documented one owner all original make up for the amount of rust? I also don't believe it would be that hard to get it running and driving, a tune up, rebuild the carbs, new brakes all the way around can i get some feed back, opinions, good buy what do you think? 

I'm guilty of not giving enough information when I ask questions too, but pictures of the rusted areas would help a LOT in getting a yes or no answer. Rust is serious business with these cars, you see a little rust -- that means there is a shitload you don't see.

Well Sure, but how MUCH does he want...?  1 owner doesn't mean much of anything to anyone but the would-be 2nd owner. So if that's you then it's up to you to decide if it's worth anything.  It's always nice to know a car's history, but if you assess it's condition, and think it's worth the price then sure, Buy it. But don't buy it over any other Z because it's one owner.  It's sat for 27 years, likely there's a lot more that a little rust you're going to have to worry about. Brakes you know about, but gummed up gas?  you could be looking at a full fuel system teardown. Pull off a fuel line and see if the gas flows.  I've seen goo'd up lines, and it's not pretty.

We're the internets, we <3 pictures, so appease us...

He wants $700 for it but like i said it's pretty ruff in the rocker's and not to ridiculous every where else. does any body know anything about a factory black hood on a white car. I did some research and found out a z432 had a black hood but it's definitely not one of those so any other options

He wants $700 for it but like i said it's pretty ruff in the rocker's and not to ridiculous every where else. does any body know anything about a factory black hood on a white car. I did some research and found out a z432 had a black hood but it's definitely not one of those so any other options

The black hood is a replacement piece or a repaint, not stock.

Dennis

$700 is probably a good price if it's decently intact.  Like I said though you may be looking at a lot of work. The trick here is to know what you're buying. Sure the parts are probably worth more than $700 if you sold them on the internet ebay/forums etc, but killing another Z for profit? Happens too often, so if you can save her Great!.  The repalcement panels from tabco are about $500 bucks for the set. outters and inners rear arches. You may not need both.  Really though, before you buy a project, make sure you uunderstand these are NOT cheap to fix up and you will never get your $ back out of it. It's an investment in YOUR PLEASURE much more than anything else. You buy it to drive and fixed up drive fast! that's your benefit.  Here's a list to consider for costs:

Brakes

bodywork

paint

engine

interior

glass

wheels

tires

weatherstripping

suspension

Theres more, but before you buy it, look at what it needs in these departments, and then decide if the cost is worth it.