HybridZ

Megasquirt Installs @ Z SHOP in Arlington TX

83turbo280zx

Hey guys,

Just to let anyone know in the DFW area if you're considering a Megasquirt ECU setup, but don't want the headache of figuring it out for yourself, running all the wiring, etc. etc. I'm doing MS installs at my shop for the older Z cars. If you supply all the pieces, or have me make you a list of what I need, I can run the harness, mount the ECU, relay box, and get you a  basic tune and get you running.

Basic Megasquirt installs starting @ $1399.99 NOT including any extra parts or custom pieces. This is for a smooth, stock triggered MS setup (CAS, or E-12 dizzy) ignition systems. Extra for MSD boxes, wideband setups, or anything else.

Megasquirt Diagnostics and Trouble shooting starts @ $87/hr - time spent.

We also do full maintenance on Z cars as well, not just MS installs. Any questions feel free to give us a call and talk to us.

Ace Automotive Services Inc

3023 Howell St

Arlington TX 76010

(817)-649-1138

You need to be a donating member in order to post advertisements for items or services. Not a nice way to start a business......

sorry didn't know, just spreading the word

Holy crap that's a high price for a stock setup.

considering a typical custom harness is 8 hours, estimate about 6 hours dialing everything in as far as crank settings, getting a map setup for timing and fuel, etc. etc., factor in shop supplies, zip ties, etc. $1399 to start is not bad at all for a custom wiring harness and a RUNNING MS setup turn key not having to do anything. You go to any performance shop in my area and their labor rate is $100+ per hour, mine is $87

That is a perfectly reasonable price for a full standalone set up and base tune that will get the car driving. SDS installs at Simtech cost around $2k, Z fever quoted me at $2500 with a dyno tune for a Haltech setup, Sunrise Z told me it would be about $2k for an EDIS megasquirt setup, not including you sourcing the parts......

In my opinion, his price reflects the cost of a Megasquirt Unit. Obviously if it was a haltech unit it would probably be $500 more, since a haltech is about that much more.

1,400? Holy shit.

My dad did it in a couple of hours.. It's really not hard. In fact, MS is the easiest thing to wire.

not hard, just time consuming, and I highly doubt your dad did it in a "couple" of hours, couple means 2. Really? two hours to run an entire engine harness, mount the computer, relay box, and then tune and get it running? If he can do ALL of that in 2 HOURS, then he needs to come work for me lol. I can make a ton of money off of a mechanic that fast lol.

That is a perfectly reasonable price for a full standalone set up and base tune that will get the car driving. SDS installs at Simtech cost around $2k, Z fever quoted me at $2500 with a dyno tune for a Haltech setup, Sunrise Z told me it would be about $2k for an EDIS megasquirt setup, not including you sourcing the parts......

In my opinion, his price reflects the cost of a Megasquirt Unit. Obviously if it was a haltech unit it would probably be $500 more, since a haltech is about that much more.

Glad to see someone on here actually knows how a shop functions and how pricing works.

Problem with that kind of cost, especially to the people on this board is that people are cheap. Personally knowing what I know now(lots of research in the Megasquirt section), I would never pay that much to hook up MS. and I feel like a majority of the board is like that as well. 

My friend, who had an SDS installed at simtech for his stock L28e shelled out $2k because he didn't have the time, place or knowledge to do it himself, and he needed the car running and he did have the money. That is the kind of crowd you're marketing to. That and people who set up MS wrong and need someone to trouble shoot. 

Problem with that kind of cost, especially to the people on this board is that people are cheap. Personally knowing what I know now(lots of research in the Megasquirt section), I would never pay that much to hook up MS. and I feel like a majority of the board is like that as well. 

My friend, who had an SDS installed at simtech for his stock L28e shelled out $2k because he didn't have the time, place or knowledge to do it himself, and he needed the car running and he did have the money. That is the kind of crowd you're marketing to. That and people who set up MS wrong and need someone to trouble shoot. 

Well that's just like anything else, I could never pay someone to work on my cars knowing what I know, but not everyone who owns a car is a mechanic, therefore pays someone like me to take care of it for them. But yea I don't expect much success from selling MS installs, main thing is getting my name out there, and now people know I can diagnose and fix MS problems as well incase they are down to a last resort and have no options left, like a few of my customers so far

I didn't mean to come off as rude. It's just MegaSquirt always seemed to be the cheap tuners solution for a good standalone unit, and when you're paying that much, It just seems to go back on the whole point of what DIY with MegaSquirt is about.

Yea I understand where you're coming from, but I've run into a few people who have tackled the job and gotten halfway in and realized they were way in over their head, so that would be where I come in basically. I'm just here as an option in case anyone gets in trouble and can't get it figured out, or just doesn't want to deal with it.

I didn't mean to come off as rude. It's just MegaSquirt always seemed to be the cheap tuners solution for a good standalone unit, and when you're paying that much, It just seems to go back on the whole point of what DIY with MegaSquirt is about.

That is fairly common, but a (non plug and play) MegaSquirt installation is going to take as much time to install as a comparable ECU from another vendor - more if you happen to get a MegaSquirt set up with a differnet hardware configuration than the car needs, and have to open up the box and change things. I've seen customers who somehow think that because their MegaSquirt cost 1/3 of the price of a Haltech, that the installation should also cost 1/3 of the price. It doesn't work that way.

I agree that it's a fair price, just not an easy crowd to market to sometimes.

Fair labor rate for a very exclusive service. It is really cool that someone even offers this service. As stated earlier, bunch of cheap bastards own these cars-sorry guys, nothing personal. Hey, I try and save a buck anyway I can, but if you want to play, then pay! It's the same crowd that thinks a quality paint job can be had for 2000$. Try and get a body shop to take on the project, that's the first battle. Then fight to get in done in less then a year-and still pay 90$ an hour.

I understand this is a forum to speak your mind, but don't let your personal financial perspective dictate your comments.