HybridZ

Does anyone have Electramotive L6 specs?

mutantZ

Which electramotive engine specs are you interested in?

They had at least two and probably more spec. engines.

IMSA GTU trim.

IMSA GTO turbo trim.

A few might have been made to SCCA GT and trans-am rules as well.

Probably the most developed would be the last configuration as raced in the mid 80s in GTO by a crewchief of electromotive..........might have been someone else......just a quick mention during a race.

The company who did the cylinder head would have the secret recipe and I doubt they are willing to part with it but I'll bet they would build another one for a paying customer if they are still doing that engine family.

http://www.sloversportingservice.com/default.html

We had a few we picked up when we sourced the basic car to build into Bob Lentz's GT2 car but I'm not sure if Brian from "Datsun dynamics" kept that information or parts.

Looking at the SCCA event results and lap times in the link below, I would venture a guess that both Greg Masters and Bob Lentz were running engines of the electromotive recipe but I would venture that Greg took that configuration and developed it further as they were both from "Datsun dynamics" who always had a healthy engine program.

http://www.wdcr-scca.org/ClubRacing/ResultsArchiveCR/NEDivSpringNationalSummitPointApril6702/FINALRESULTSFORRace8ASGT1GT2GT3/tabid/652/Default.aspx

Bob Lentz ran the inline engine in his first 300zx but went to a newer car with the V6 and now uses rebello V6 that makes around 380hp with a 37mm intake restrictor.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

I was interested in their 800+ hp turbo engine, not because I was going to try and build one, but to see what kinds of mods did they do to make the engine generate those hp figures as well as be durable enough to put down laps. More of a research thing. Their VG30 work was also very impressive given the hp that most people are trying to squeeze out of their VG engines right now.

I was interested in their 800+ hp turbo engine, not because I was going to try and build one, but to see what kinds of mods did they do to make the engine generate those hp figures as well as be durable enough to put down laps. More of a research thing. Their VG30 work was also very impressive given the hp that most people are trying to squeeze out of their VG engines right now.

Not "hard" by any stretch, but certainly needs to be well thought out and executed. And are we talking 800hp wheel or 800 crank? Because crank I think we have more than 1 member that are quite close to those numbers...

Think about it this way, robello and MANY others can and have built 300hp NA L engines, some of which aren't even strokers. At that NA level, adding a good 22-25psi of boost should get you to around 800hp. You might say "wow, 25psi isn't even that high, and Big Phil has run that much and didn't get close to those power levels"...

...Well phil was also running an engine that would struggle to put 200 to the wheels without a turbo... I'm talking about building a serious engine with a serious head on it, with a matching intake and exhaust system. I'm talking about an engine that even without the turbo would put down MORE THAN DOUBLE the stock NA HP...

The real challenge is the balancing act of how to build the bottom end for that kind of power. Obviously you need more meat on the piston than the 300hp NA engines do, but with every added gram for reliability is that much more mass to motivate, which might not be a big deal at 4,000rpm, but at 9,000??? Rotating weight and balance becomes EXTREMELY important. Past that you just need a head that will allow for a good torque peak above 5k and breathes well into the 8kRPM range. Add boost and DONE!

The magic that eludes many is the ability to tune such a monster and keep it alive. Keeping the air temps down is very important, but there's many ways to solve that. And good luck getting it to make that power on pump gas. :wink:

Does this mean no sharing? :icon10:

It probably means that he's only giving info to those that are what he deems "ready" to receive such information. The extensive post by howler shows how the original question was very vague and not to any type of a point. If you can ask specific questions that have specific answers he might be more apt to answer. At least, that's how I've understood Tony to be.

I guess I was a bit broad and vague on the subject. I'm not looking for info to build an engine, I'd be happy if my car just ran at this point. I was trying to find more literature out there on what the team did back in the day. There's not much info on the web surprisingly. I came across this interview with Don Devendorf today:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27801

and

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27802

Also this overview:

http://www.a2zracer.com/page82.html

Fansite:

https://sites.google.com/site/zlalomz/imsagtuz

Edited by mutantZ

Does this mean no sharing? :icon10:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but yes, I don't feel like arguing with the pricks that inevitably surface when this subject comes up.

If you have credible credentials, the information is out there for the asking. Don't expect me or anybody else to piss in their own well giving recommendations on who to call or talk to...we still need to tap that well from time to time, and poisoning it with people intent on talking about stuff but not doing anything is just not going to happen.

It's not a matter of "sharing" either...that's been tried. Nobody wanted to listen...or made the process so excruciating that the end result is "why bother"! The people that did it, did so just fine before the Internet. Many who got the knowledge also existed before the Internet.

Frankly, it's easier to just develop the stuff on your own and keep your mouth shut as the Internet is a big waste of time. What you, as a developer will gain out of it will pale by comparison to what the vampires will try to suck out of you.

There just becomes a point where you let the idle curious wither as it's not worth the effort. Even here. Those that do, will do...and know each other well enough to keep those important channels open for growth and knowledge exchange.

But the idle curious... Figure it out. We did, you can, too. But it will take effort.

And not to put too fine a point on it, to the pricks who argued about the 1100-1200HP number, read the 2009 SanDiego Article quoting Don Devendorf.

Arseholes...cast pearls before the swine...

I'm willing to bet that with today's access to quality control systems, paired with no restrictions to fuel and such, those eletromotive numbers could be beat by someone with decently deep pockets too.

...Read the 2009 SanDiego Article quoting Don Devendorf...

Tony,

Could you clarify this? Is 'SanDiego' the name of the publication? Plenty of magazines out there with San Diego in the title, but I came up empty handed looking for one that was one word, or that had to do with motorsports...

San Diego SCCA region links posted above.

Stock cranks and rods, massaged, ignition and fuel control. Interesting comments on valve train geometry. Kind of sounds like the advice every one in the know on here gives. Taken to another level of course.

Edited by ctc