HybridZ

Most bang for the buck?

So, first time poster and first time builder. I have dragged cars out of fields and rebuilt them and built motorcycles from a pile parts from some guys lost ambition. I say that to indicate the scope of the project I can tackle if so motivated. I have had a sports car in my life since my 20s and that was my only z. Two years ago I gave up my z4 to the ex and now it's time to get a sports car again. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a 240z. As I want to put my own mark on the project and not do a factory perfect restoration, it would seem a shame to harm one of the few 70s out there. I have $10k to blow on this endeavor and want to open the doors to some input. I keep my eyes out for project cars where people have lost interest and have missed out on a couple. While I would love to do an rb25 swap, I don't think its in the budget to do it right.

So that's the question, $10k setup, most work could be done in house although any major overhauls would probably be shopped out, the paint would not be a DIY, what are your all thoughts?

Honestly, I would get a 240Z, swap in a ZX turbo engine or a triple carbed l28, and spend the most money on things like suspension components and engine upgrades. I am by no means a purist when it comes to engine swaps, but a v8 just doesn't do it for me in these cars specifically. And if all else fails, just mail me your 10k hahahaha

So I probably should have added that this will be daily or often driven car. Reliability will be important. I will be targeting a little more refinement than a fire breathing dragon, but when I want to move, I want to know there is something there to rely on. Moving up into the 220 hp range with the light car should be a nice start. That probably means a L28et swap

So I probably should have added that this will be daily or often driven car. Reliability will be important. I will be targeting a little more refinement than a fire breathing dragon, but when I want to move, I want to know there is something there to rely on. Moving up into the 220 hp range with the light car should be a nice start. That probably means a L28et swap

Reliability for cheap and not doing a V8 swap kind of rules everything out. 

SR engines are alright.

RB engines are expensive.

1JZ/2JZ are expensive as well (not 100% sure though).

As far as practicality goes, L28ET swaps are great because you don't have to fabricate motor mounts, you can keep your transmission (provided you have the right one), and they're really cheap. I've been thinking about it lately, and I've seen nice full engines in my area go for $400 or less.

If your looking for refinement then you it will take up some of your budget. You don't need a ton of HP to have fun and enjoy the 'sports car' experience of the Z. You want to drive it all the time, then make it comfortable. Quality seats, don't go solid on any suspension stuff(solid diff mount), sporty suspension bits, but none race caliper stuff. A little sound deading but a sweet sounding exhaust. Fun gearing with a LSD and 200hp and you will smile-turbo is good too. Engine swaps(other then L6) amp up the frustration factor and eat up time till you start driving.   

I think that's the sort of input I'm looking for. Can you clarify the don't go solid on suspension stuff. For sure, I have no need for a stiff suspension but not clear on the non solid dif mount. How much impact will lowering springs have to the drivability.

I agree and disagree. I daily drive my 240Z and it has the sporty suspension bits. It's not comfortable by any means, but it really isn't anywhere near as bad as it could be. I have the MSA sway bar kit, poly bushings, 1.5" Eibach springs on stock struts (they're very compressed and makes for a hard ride), and not much ground clearance. The only two annoying things are the ground clearance (can't fit a soda can under the car), and the 4 point racing harness. As long as you get a good seat, you'll be good, even with stiffer suspension (which you might enjoy, since it makes it a lot of fun around corners). 

If you have 10K now - be patient and wait for the right car to pop up.  My son got a '73 240Z with a built LS1, T56, R230 with cryogenically hardened CV's, 17" wheels, Autometer gauges, etc. for $7k.  The little bit of bodywork it needed and some of the previous owners oopsies could have easily been resolved along with a home paint job for another $3k. There are lots of guys out there that get started and then lose interest.  You just have to be patient and picky.

For those that don't like V8's.  I went through the agony of the engine decision tree but finally opted for the LS1 because I wanted rock solid reliability with modern technology and the LS motor delivered it in spades. Don't regret that decision a bit.  My only feelings  on the whole Z project thing is to do it with a 280 and not a 240.  The 240's are starting to be hard to find and actually are becoming collectibles.  The 280's are not.  The 280 is also a bit heavier which, in this case, means they are a more durable platform for higher performance.

The unfinished dream of another builder would be the perfect fit. The cash is there, I can wait till the right car reveals itself. I have been watching and researching for about 6 months. I started with the thought that a $6k project might get me where I want to be. Further education and too much time looking at others beautiful builds upped the budget.

If I had 10k for my car... I'd

- Fix any rust

- Sandblast/strip and POR 15 on anything that might need it (engine bay, bottom of car, etc.)

- Strut bars

- Upgrade fusible links to fuse block

- Front air dam

- Rear disk brakes

- Front disk upgrade

- Coilovers

- CV Axles

- New bushings

- 300zx CLSD

- L28ET swap (or RB25/26 depending on budget)

- Intercooler

- T5 transmission

- 10 JDM gauges so you can gauge the gauge that gauges your boost pressure gauge

- Megasquirt ECU

Probably some other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

I can't put numbers on all of these off the top of my head but I'm sure it would fall well within 10k if you're willing to put in some work. The nice thing about a car with this stuff is it would be ready and willing by the time you got an RB26 and it would be able to handle the power pretty well. Frame rail reinforcement could be in order depending on how much power you want to put down and the condition they're in. If you go with the L28, get rid of the j pipe and use an intercooler. Run at 10psi and you've got at least 200hp right there. Get a good exhaust on there and you can probably overshoot your 220 mark if you want to. Not to mention adding Megasquirt.

You guys get a lot more out 10k then I would. Why strut bars or coil overs or heavy sway bars. He wants to drive it daily and be comfortable. Don't need to lower the car much to have a good stance and don't need hard shocks or springs to handle well.

Unfinished projects are good and best are the ones that the body work has been done- that's the big $$&

If I had 10k for my car... I'd

- Fix any rust

- Sandblast/strip and POR 15 on anything that might need it (engine bay, bottom of car, etc.)

- Strut bars

- Upgrade fusible links to fuse block

- Front air dam

- Rear disk brakes

- Front disk upgrade

- Coilovers

- CV Axles

- New bushings

- 300zx CLSD

- L28ET swap (or RB25/26 depending on budget)

- Intercooler

- T5 transmission

- 10 JDM gauges so you can gauge the gauge that gauges your boost pressure gauge

- Megasquirt ECU

Probably some other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

I can't put numbers on all of these off the top of my head but I'm sure it would fall well within 10k if you're willing to put in some work. The nice thing about a car with this stuff is it would be ready and willing by the time you got an RB26 and it would be able to handle the power pretty well. Frame rail reinforcement could be in order depending on how much power you want to put down and the condition they're in. If you go with the L28, get rid of the j pipe and use an intercooler. Run at 10psi and you've got at least 200hp right there. Get a good exhaust on there and you can probably overshoot your 220 mark if you want to. Not to mention adding Megasquirt.

Hey there!

I'm a little over a week into my first Z extravaganza and I was in a similar situation, needing a daily driver and decided to get the z I've wanted forever instead.  It can definately be done on your budget!  My suggestion, based on the wisdom of many on this site is to leave your engine swap til last, and go with the L28ET.  Just for referance, I bought my 77 280 z in the Bay Area for under 5k, with almost no rust.  I've got the gas tank out being boiled and lined now, replaced the fuel pump and hoses, and it SHOULD be running perfectly.  My interior was replaced by PO, so really I've got suspension, sound deadening, body kit to replace the bumpers, and maybe some brake work (no disk conversions for me, I fall in the 'dont think its necessary camp') .  After that onto the turbo, and I can't see going much over 10k, even with the "take your best estimate and double it approach".  Of course, I went with the 280z for the budget, so I'll have to smog, but the EFI for a daily driver aspect made up for that in my mind.

Josh

They can be somewhat comfortable , but if you compare to a Z4 like the OP- you will be very disappointed.

New cushions for the 240z seats makes a huge difference as well as a quiet cab - no pescky air leaks and rattles.

It can be done for 10k , but with very careful planning and lots of work.

EFI on a daily driver has nothing to do with it coming that way from the factory!

I ran a 69 Corvair Monza with Datsun 280Z EFI on it back in the early 80's. 

Today, any car can have EFI, it didn't need to come that way. And really, hasn't since about 1975!