HybridZ

Head swap

datson240z

I have a 240z and everything is pretty much original but I have a p90 head am I able to use the head? I'm wondering because I'm not sure if the setup on a p90 head has to be fuel injection and I just have original SUs. And I don't want to take off the head unless I really have to.

Your question is kind of confusing. So you have a p90 head you want to put on a L24 block? I'm pretty sure the p90 is drilled for using the carb intakes, but someone else might chime in. Meanwhile-please clarify what you are doing

And your compression will be REALLY low, like less than 8:1.  Which, if you are running a turbo, not so bad, but NA with carbs?  It's going to be slow.   Your best bet is to find a maxima N47, or as it is commonly referred to around here an MN47.  that will actually bump your compression up and has dual bolt patterns for carb or FI intakes. 

Let me clarify. I have a 240z all original but I have a p90a head an I'm wondering if I can use the p90 head instead of the original head to just get a little more power out of the car no I am not going turbo. If I can change the head I'm just going to put SU's back on and if I can't change the head then I'll just sell it. Is it possible? And if so will it run correctly?

CR would be about 7.7.  You probably won't be able to take advantage of the bigger valves, even if they don't hit the cylinders due to the smaller L24 bore.  No more power, more problems.

You could probably trade that P90 head for a complete running L24 engine.

I just put a P90 head on a L26. I had the head shaved .40 thousands. Put shims under the cam towers. Had new longer valves put in. Head work done with some light port work done. 

The machine work and assembly of the head was $500 at a local machine shop. Also included the weld up of my N42 intake to accept the 240sx throttle body.

No clearance issues. Have had the head off since install, about 2500 miles. Had a head gasket issue. But all good. 

Hah! it'd cost more to use that head than it would be worth. you're looking at 500$ in machine work to make it worthwhile, plus what I would ask for the casting. Not worth the effort to swap a stock head anyway, IMO.