HybridZ

need advice to plan build

Haniel20

Hey guys real soon I will be getting a s30 and i wanted to boost it, I just dont know if I wanna go l28et or bite the bullet for a complete rb25 project, I have been doing reseach on this forum for awhile so i have done used the search bar.this site no lie you guys on this forum helps alot making the rb swap a lil more budget friendly.but I dont know what I want to do, I know I want to be turbo. Oh yeah it would not be my first z, I had a 280zx with a mildly built l28e and it wasnt the fastest but had some go.basicly im wondering is going on the effort of doing a l28et, which I know you can get roughly 350hp with some head work and hx35 turbo and etc, or would it be better to go rb25 to get close to that power stock.i also love the way the l28et sound, but rb25 look so nice in the bay of the z.

Depending on how you get the RB you would have a newer engine with more aftermarket support, but you can easily put that all into an L28. Best part about having a turbo L28 is people wondering what it is, then realizing that it's 30yrs old and still competitive.

im with you on that and the sound of those l series motors is the sound amazing.also helps that the l28et was avalable in the u.s.

can't argue L-series motors do sound good, but I am more pro RB's. If you like the Rb25 that's cool but I hate the cold pipe that crosses on top of the motor. Rb25 has far more potential, but the initial cost can be high. Stay tuned I will be selling a Rb26 in the near future. 

With as many people running 350HP on a stock L28 (me on the same 1977 L28 N42 N/A Engine since 1985) you would think people reading the forums would not be asking these questions.

It's all covered, ad nauseam...

• Like 1

Im just asking because I have seen people do the hx35 turbo swap and it was more or less at 265hp and thats way under about 90hp what those set ups .im just asking because if I can get 350-400 and reliably and not breaking the bank I might go l28et instead if I can reach them goals.

Opinions on engine preference are engines. You can't take someone else' opinion unless you just want us to tell you what to get. An older engine that is more common and cheaper is more commonly built up cheaper and therefore is not as good of gains or not as reliable. That must be taken into consideration when looking at what's out there. Most RB transplants make good power because not many spend big bucks on RB powertrains (and parts for it) and then try to do a poor tune or buildup on it.

Ultimately you should be searching countless threads on here and elsewhere that will help you form your own educated opinion.  Otherwise you are looking for someone to talk you into their viewpoint. I highly recommend you not buy a powertrain or otherwise spend thousands of dollars based on an opinion thread.

Based on this:

im wondering is going on the effort of doing a l28et, which I know you can get roughly 350hp with some head work and hx35 turbo and etc, or would it be better to go rb25 to get close to that power stock.i also love the way the l28et sound, but rb25 look so nice in the bay of the z.

It sounds to me like it's more of an emotional thing and you like the L for sound and the RB for looks. No one is going to decide that one for you. But please try to use complete sentences so we understand what you are trying to say.

Wizard is right, the choice in engine really has to be up to you. It will be your money and your time that you spend on it, at the end if you want it to mean something to you, then you should be the one making choices. If you want the choice to make sense, make a list for both engines and see which you will be happier with down the road.

It also depends on your bank roll. An RB swap is not cheap. Granted a high horsepower L28et will need similar supporting mods, but a similar RB motor swap will cost more when you get into motor specific parts, especially in the US.

I want to say one of the local guys who swapped in an RB26dett spent upwards of 15k getting the swap all settled in. L28et swaps tend to be a lot cheaper, but as mentioned it nearly a decade of difference between the motors. The newest L28 you can get would be 80's, newest RB25 would be 2000's.

Like I said: for that HP goal! it's child's play to get 350 HP from an L28N/A or L28ET using a bone stock bottom end.

The money you spend is in the EMS, the turbo, and the head, in that order as it is possible to get 350 on a bone stock L28ET and just the first two.

But head work, and a cam? 380ft lbs at 4,500 rpms at 8.39psi of boost... Save money, intercooler not required! Methanol not required. Add either, and torque goes up, temperatures come down, and reliability increases. How dies that number sound on 87 octane pump gas? (Methanol and Headwork)...

This is ALL scrupulously detailed. The reason people want RB's is not from a power advantage standpoint. That's an excuse.

They want the "gee whiz" factor.

I know where a TC24B1 head is up for sale at just under $30,000.... An L-Series with that head bitchslaps just about any run of the mill swapped factory DOHC setup. It may not be a great setup, you may not make the power...but you got the look of "one of 12 made" and that trumps all in the genre of "Gee-Whiz, Lookit Me, I got a Badass Dee Oh Aych Cee!"