HybridZ

Eastwood MIG-175

Well, after reading the thread on HF welders, I started looking around on the web. The more I read about 110v machines, the more I knew I needed a more powerful one.

I have a reasonable amount of skill, (thanks to my profession), so I feel pretty good about any fab work that I'll be doing on my car.

So I just pulled the trigger and ordered, Eastwood's MIG-175, 220v welder. Just got back from Home Depot, the hardware to install the new plug and I'll have it ready by the time my new stuff comes in.

Looking forward to running some beads and sharing my findings.

Wish me luck!

Don't waste your time on that welder. Total piece of JUNK!!! I had one for 2 hours and every part of it was crap. The regulator didn't work out of the box. The welder worked fine for about 3.5 minutes. The welds were inconsistent. The penetration was sub par at best. You had to purge the gas every time. It had a internal gas leak.

Do yourself a favor and return it and get a American made welder (Red or blue) and start enjoying metal work.

Maybe I got a bad one. Do a little research on the inter web and you will find a lot of complaints about these Chinese welders. After I had my problems I found the same welder for 249 bucks. It was exactly the same specs . I got my money back and got a Lincoln. My last Lincoln lasted 20 years.

Edited by pat1

Well, it's on it's way. I've read a lot of positive reviews. I'll have 30 days to work the piss out of it, (as per their money back policy) and in tend to do just that.

When you said you found one just like the Eastwood, were you talking about the 135?

I haven't seen ANY 220v welders, by ANY manufacturers, that were under $500!

I read a lot of positive reviews also that's why I bought it. I'm glad they had that 30 day money back policy. I weld A LOT and I need a quality tool to do the job. After using the welder I got I wouldn't used it on any and I mean any suspension parts. The welds did not penetrate and were very inconsistent. I just didn't trust it so back into the box it went. You might have better luck than I did and I hope you do. Nothing sucks worse than having to stop in the middle of a job to go buy a new welder.

The funny thing my wife was laughing at me when I got it. She saw the MADE IN CHINA on the box and said Goodluck!

For automotive use, I wouldn't hesitate to get a 110V if it suits your work space better. No doubt a 220V machine is more flexible, but in my case for access to 220V is limited, and my 110V Lincoln is rated to 3/8" IIRC in one pass, plenty for any automotive jobs, and I can use it anywhere. Just my $0.02 

I too heard all the positive reviews for Eastwood welders so I bought their 135 about two years ago, and had the same experience as Pat1. In fact after a few months of struggling with it, the drive motor went out completely. I sent that back to them and exchanged it for the 175. It work alright for a couple months before the plastic gas line broke inside the machine itself. That's when I got all my money back from them and bought a Millermatic 180 and it's been my precious ever since. It's always reliable, welds are perfect, penetrates everything, and saves me a lot of gas. A 4' tall bottle would only last a couple weeks of moderate welding with the Eastwoods before needing replacements while when I got the Miller I hooked it up with the half-full left over bottle and I've been using it for the past few months with a lot of heavy, and light welding and still have plenty left in the bottle. I wish I would have just got the Miller from the get-go.

Thank you all for your input.

I've sent an email to cancel my order.

I will follow up in the morning with a phone call.

There's a Lincoln Power Mig 180C on sale at AirGas outlet and will be placing my order as soon as my acct has been reimbursed.

I sincerely thank you all for scaring me off of this purchase. I think I'll sleep better knowing I have a Lincoln in my garage!

Edited by richie2619

There you go.. Your going to be a lot happier with the Lincoln 180. That's a great machine.

If you had both machines side by side and you used both you will see the difference right away.

From the arc to the wire feed to the gas control.The torch on the eastwood sucked bad.

The metal thickness ratings on 110v welder a are not accurate. No more the 1/4" thick material in my experience and I own the Lincoln 135 and have used the Miller 135. To get good penetration on 3/8" steel you have to weld slow enough that duty cycle limits kick in.

I was taught by a man who's welds looked like a machine had done the job.

He told me that the versatility of a higher amperage machine would enable me a lot more flexibility.

I used a Millermatic 252 in our shop, before moving to field work and I didn't realize how many poor quality welders there were on the market.

The one thing I did get right, is ordering a unit that I won't out grow for a long time.

Again, I thank everyone's input.

I'm pretty sure I'll never weld anything that big either. 110v machines are pretty flexible but sheet metal welds are where they shine. I wanted the 220v machine because they really shine in the 1/8 to 1/4 range and that fits right into the structural stuff I'll be welding.

BTW. My Lincoln showed up yesterday and it's a Cadillac!

Snort! :)

Edited by richie2619

I've had a wonderful experience with my Eastwood 135 (110v). Bought it over 3 years ago and feel like it has worked great for what I needed it for (sheet metal, misc. brackets, frame rails, exhaust, etc.) The gas solenoid went out about a year ago, but a quick call to Eastwood and I received a replacement for free a week later.

Now I'm far from a pro, but I've been pleased with the weld quality and it definitely handles sheet metal better than the 220v Miller that I learned to weld on. Just wanted to put out a positive opinion of these welders. As a home hobbyist, I couldn't ask for more considering the price I paid. I don't doubt that the big name welders are better. When I have access to 220v in shop in the future, I will likely purchase a better quality welder, but for now I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Eastwood series to a fellow hobbyist that only needs a welder for small automotive projects.

The reviews I read that we're positive we're mostly about the 135. It was the 175 that was reviewed so horribly! I'm not sure why but it was very hard to find anyone that was reasonably satisfied with the larger model.

Glad yours is working so well for you.

• 2 weeks later...