HybridZ

The "Ultimate" IRS Swap for S30s

wfritts911

Let's see. You're angry there's no pictures on an unfinished rear end setup that could be the best for an s30 chassis and you're being pushy. Personally I'm waiting on it to be completed at his speed so it's done right and powder coated or the final design with all the bugs worked out. It's worth the wait. I see jacked up prices for your kit lol. Let the man breath I hated my civil engineering finals with 6+ core classes each semester for the final 2 years of college.

To the OP, good luck on finals and take pics when it's done. There's no need to rush it, the cars have been out for 44 years (older than us lol) and a little longer wait won't kill us.

Props on designing it from the wide array of parts used I can't wait to see the final product! (Now stepping off of soap box)

Who's angry?

He says this is complete, he says he's been driving with this set up for 9 months already. So there's no reason he couldn't have posted a couple pictures of this complete set-up either in the first post or shortly thereafter. The thread is at least a week old (ambiguous dates of how long ago a post was made FTL), the OP has posted 7 times since this topic started and said he would post pictures by now.

Some of us just like to see at least the parts being used, that way we can see how it might all fit together, better yet a completed assembly picture is even better. It's not being pushy, it's asking for what was promised.

I'm interested in the set-up from an engineering point of view and love to see fabrication, and parts being put together that no one in their right mind would think would ever fit and work together. :) This sounds like an interesting set-up, but at this point I'd like to see some pictures, but I guess that's too much to ask according to some of you.

The OP should take a marketing class before he gets out of college.  Or texis300 should.  This is a classic violation of product marketing principles.  Tease, frustrate, alienate.  It's not wrong, and it's not right, it's just how people work.  This scenario is typical in bigger business - texis300 is the business manager who wants to show progress, wfritts is the engineeer with the product that's not ready but folds to pressure to release it.  The customer complains, the engineer gets a poor review, ends up quitting or gets fired.  The idea is panned as "it didn't work".  A great idea dies on the vine.

Actually, wfritts should take a Masters level marketing class and use this thread as a case study.  Probably get an A.

Not criticizing, just an impartial observation.  Kind of amusing.

This ^^^

On a side note, isn't the word "ultimate" just a replacement for "best"? ;)

Edited by Six_Shooter

Alright, I apologize for not getting pictures like I said I would. Im enrolled in 17 hours in a Mechanical Engineering program, work 23+ hours a week, have a girlfriend with a baby, and was busting ass trying to get the Baja SAE car ready last weekend. Then I spent all last week destroying said Baja SAE car in the middle of a dust storm in El Paso, TX. I had hoped to get everything ready before I left, but the waterjet up at work was booked up and wasn't able to get the final diff mounts cut. I'm way to busy I'll admit, I beyond overbooked myself the past several weeks. I'll also admit I am the absolute worst at taking photos. I always intend to document my projects well, and then I get my hands dirty and in the zone, and I just build stuff and never stop to take pictures.

Forgive me for prioritizing designing and building the parts vs spending time trying to market them. If I was better at marketing than engineering you all probably wouldn't want to buy my products, fortunately it's the other way around. Please be patient with me while I get this setup rolling, I was not ready to make a thread but it got brought up in a thread over on the V8 forums so I figured I better come clean over here. I was hoping to be done with it by now, but set backs happened.

But I will post up what I have with me, sorry for letting everyone down and then running off out of town for a week. The setup is real and I have been running it for ~9 months, but like I said, never really photographed my setup when I built it.

Here is the upright setup in the jig before it got tig welded

post-27433-0-75394900-1398789260_thumb.jpg

CNC'ing the mustache bar mounting piece from some 6061 Aluminum

post-27433-0-15155900-1398789266_thumb.jpg

This is the stub axle after it was tig welded. I CNC the flange and then weld it on the the stock stub axle after the CV cage area is cut off

post-27433-0-22316600-1398789270_thumb.jpg

Here is an extremely awful picture of the mustache bar on the car holding the differential up

post-27433-0-94997400-1398789274_thumb.jpg

Here is the brake setup on the base plate of the upright. Wilwood 4 piston calipers with 2 piece rotors. It's nice!

post-27433-0-94768000-1398789334_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-32329600-1398789344_thumb.jpg

I've got a test that I have to makeup tomorrow that I will be studying for late tonight. Hopefully I can get the new mustache bar and the front mount cutout today or tomorrow and will have a chance to get them done before this weekend. The uprights are welded up I just have to make the strut tubes.

Hopefully this will hold you all over for a bit, Sean has been more than patient with me while I redo this setup. When I was doing the swap to my car i was pressed for time as summer break was ending and didn't quite do it like I should have, so I am redoing some things now.

Here is a really awful picture of me rolling down a very steep drop off in the Suspension and Traction run. Dented to top roll bar and had to section it out an splice in a new one in the middle of a dust storm.

post-27433-0-33357600-1398790870_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-37043300-1398791130_thumb.jpg

Also here is the mustache bar fresh off the waterjet

post-27433-0-63045600-1398791143_thumb.jpg

-Will

Pics really do help paint a better picture. Thanks for that.

If you are overbooked, just let people know you need time. I don't think anyone can fault you for that. You haven't taken anyone's money, and you have peaked some interest in people. I think it's the long silence that gets people.

Just excuse yourself out until you are ready. Parts look pretty good will be nice to see how things all come together.

I do vote for a picture of the uprights on the car when you get the chance.

All is ok as far as I can tell. Think some sheet metal got blown off my Dad's barn, but that's about it. Wish I could say the same thing for the rest of Vilonia, looks like they got hit pretty hard again. More damage than a couple years ago it seems.

-Will

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, fell off the map for a bit while I finished up with school. Got everything almost finished up yesterday. Will be mailing out parts Tuesday unless something happens. Front diff mount is tacked up just needs a jig built for it and finished welded. Uprights are fully welded. Strut tubes are tacked up, just need finish welded. Mustache bar is good to go except I have to shave a bit off the mounts to move the differential further towards the front by a hair. Stub axle adapters are fully welded. But enough talk, here are some real photos of what is going on.

Mustache Bar

post-27433-0-75381300-1399869767_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-11984000-1399869783_thumb.jpg

Front Diff Mount

post-27433-0-67268500-1399869808_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-45070600-1399869820_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-55952400-1399869830_thumb.jpg

Strut Tube

post-27433-0-32034600-1399869843_thumb.jpg

Strut Tube Loaded

post-27433-0-06397000-1399869857_thumb.jpg

Complete Upright

post-27433-0-51119400-1399869870_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-43722400-1399869887_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-50525200-1399869903_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-36728300-1399869921_thumb.jpg

Don't have any pictures of this exact setups axles, but mine are pretty much the same thing, but please excuse the crude other parts, I didn't have the fancy tools I have at my disposal back then. The second picture shows the F150 outer CV joint with the stock F150 axle bar still in it(Which is quite short). The first picture shows it on the car with the chromoly porsche 930 axle and the duct tape clips holding it in place hehe.

post-27433-0-83683100-1399870574_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-40565800-1399870590_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this clears stuff up and shows that this really is happening. This setup uses the Koni 8610-1437race strut insert. Off the shelf coil over pieces, stock top hat. Camber can be adjusted in the upright. Front diff mount similar to the RT mount. The lower piece captures it on the top and bottom(The lower brace is missing a piece of metal to go on the other side of the circle piece). 3/16 plate, waterjet and broke. Mustache bar is 6061 that is waterjet. The mount pieces use poly bushings and are CNC machined. Now that I'm done with school, I will have a lot more time to do work. Will be ordering metal sometime this week hopefully for 10 sets. Pricing to come this weekend hopefully.

Questions/Comments/Criticism is welcome.

-Will

I hope you have better luck than I did with the front diff mount. I couldn't ever get the mount I built to stop moving.  It was making my car have bad wheel hop on street tires, and it actually broke the welded nuts off the body.  I'm making a different front mount that will be welded to the tunnel.... Take that, torque!

You might have better success, and it would probably work for a lot of people, but If I was going to do a bolt-in again, I'd make some sort of pinion snubber that goes straight up to the body.

Edited by SUNNY Z

Texas300, you gonna be showing your car or beating the hell out of it? Before johnc mass produced his subi conversion stubs he asked me to install them, challenge them, tear down and inspect them for defects. THEN, he put them into production. I took them to the track and dropped clutch and did four full throttle gear changes on them 90 times before I inspected them by his protocol (granted that was with an L6, but that's what that system was designed for). You game for that? I foresee same problem as SunnyZ. We need a forward crossmember to bolt to, and according to old posts, we need both the mustache bar and the front mount to be either rubber/poly or solid, but not one of each. If you could design one, I think most guys serious enough to invest in this much of a mod would be willing to weld or pay a welder. And when I say "invest", I don't mean just money-this is gonna take time to assemble, and every time I fix something AGAIN, it takes a little bit of my Z-love and steps on it. I dont know how many re-dos i have left in me. If ANYBODY can do this, it is Will.

I plan on beating on the car.  It is not a cream puff, it is not being built to be a cream puff...... I plan on eventually using this car for Time Attack. FIRST I have to get used to the car.  With a COMPLETE new drivetrain it could take some time as I have other things in my life that take priority ( family, business).  With that said I don't know too many people that can abuse vehicles like me.....

I once severed the cab of my truck from 6 of 8 body mounts, destroyed 3 transmissions, and blew up a rear diff....all within a 3 year period......

I have a tendency to push things.  Hell yesterday I was roll racing on the highway with my LIFTED crew max Tundra.......lol

I have a feeling that I will be tearing this apart due to usage fatigue....

I am going to have over 600whp on tap I am expecting to break things......

I plan on beating on the car.  It is not a cream puff, it is not being built to be a cream puff...... I plan on eventually using this car for Time Attack. FIRST I have to get used to the car.  With a COMPLETE new drivetrain it could take some time as I have other things in my life that take priority ( family, business).  With that said I don't know too many people that can abuse vehicles like me.....

I once severed the cab of my truck from 6 of 8 body mounts, destroyed 3 transmissions, and blew up a rear diff....all within a 3 year period......

I have a tendency to push things.  Hell yesterday I was roll racing on the highway with my LIFTED crew max Tundra.......lol

I have a feeling that I will be tearing this apart due to usage fatigue....

I am going to have over 600whp on tap I am expecting to break things......

517e6d98afa96f06cc000060.jpg?w=400