HybridZ

280z track car by Performance Motorsports Fabrication

I think you are flying thru this build! Can you throw up a pic some time that shows the brackets you made to support the rear hatch pins? At this rate I think you will get some track time this summer! Are you retaining a heater/defroster? It is looking great!

That has got to be the fastest race prep/restoration on record!

I paid for most of the work that was done. It took 3 of us right at 4 months. We started with a great platform, I already had an Arizona Z track pack brakes and suspension kit on the car and it has no rust under it and very littl rust on top

Here she is all finished up! We still have some detail work to do but its finished for the most part. I'm heading to VIR with it this weekend to shake it out. We'll see how she does. 

The rear wing looks like it has too much angle.  Check to make sure it isn't stalled.

Cary

Well here's a short run down on the shakedown. 

I had a 3:54 diff with a 240sx 5 speed in it for a couple years but this winter I put a 4:11 in it. What a difference! I love it. The 240sx came stock with a 4:11 so there meant for each other. I'm in the power band all the time now and just pull out of every turn like you wouldn't believe. With the 4:11 the jump from 4th to 5th doesn't seem that bad at all.

We added fender flairs to the car so I was able to widen the track width. With the AZ lower control arms I was able to run the heim joints out increasing the rear by about 1 1/2"-2" total and the front about 1'-1 1/2". This allowed me to get 3 degrees of camber in the front and as much as I want in the rear, I went for 2.6. I have to say the car acts like its on rails now, its unbelievable how stable the car is now. (3 degrees camber in the front, 2.6 in the rear, 1/8" total toe in in the rear, 1/6" total toe out in the front, max caster was 2.7 we may increase that but will require some surgery) 

We sealed around the radiator so air has to go threw it, that and the hood vents kept the water temp around 180. It ran hotter than that before. 

I'm working on tire temps and pressures to see where the alignment needs to be but didn't get much data to go on this event. At first glance it looks like we need a little less camber or more toe or more pressure… not sure yet. 

I progressively pushed harder and harder as the day went on and did shake out one problem. Haven't figured it out yet but I think its a simple electrical fix. fingers crossed. 

Stay tuned 

That was a fun build. We found a few issues that caused some scope creep, but all in all it went very well. My experience with s30 chassis mods made this a more exacting chassis build than most.

The electrical system is highly sophisticated and includes proper power distribution, safety/kill system, noise and transient suppression, signal separation and shielding.

The drivers position was carefully mocked up and included 2 fitting sessions to finalize position and access to controls.

The roll cage is the tightest I have ever seen in an S30. We managed to get the bars out of sight and away from elbows and helmet contact areas. The corner gussets and wide door bars make this thing easy to get in and out of.

I managed to get mirrors properly positioned with a stock rear view and Toyota side views mounted in window corners. The car allows decent situ awareness even with a cage and big rear wing.

Shakedown went nearly flawlessly. We checked and double checked everything. The only failure was a burned out ignition coil, which has been replaced with a proper coil this time.