HybridZ

240z Aftermarket AC Kits vs OEM

Dat73z

Hi all, 

Does anyone have any recommendations on an air conditioner kit currently available on the market in 2015 for the 240z? 

I've been thinking about installing one in my Z which never came with "factory" air, but have seen a few mixed reviews on products which are no longer available (I think there was some MSA kit a while back). 

Thanks! 

I installed vintage air in my 280 and it keeps the car cold. It does require some fitting and dash In and out of the car a few times and fabricating brackets. My friend just ordered one from a seller on ebay in texas that makes a kit specifically for the Z. He hasn't installed it yet, but the pieces look good. I believe the only thing on that kit you have to figure out for yourself is mounting the controls while on the vintage air you have to figure it all out

My friend just ordered one from a seller on ebay in texas that makes a kit specifically for the Z. He hasn't installed it yet, but the pieces look good. I believe the only thing on that kit you have to figure out for yourself is mounting the controls while on the vintage air you have to figure it all out

socorob, Do you think you could get the contact info / link to the AC source your friend used ?

I'm currently in the process of installing a vintage air gen II mini system. Just ordered my jci compressor/mount and awaiting it's arrival.

CableSrv, Could you please take as many pics as your willing, so it will help me out, and others, in the future   :D

Thanks guy's

Looks like some great suggestions on this thread. Does anyone have pictures of their installations they could share (e.g. engine bay shots, firewall line routing, air distribution by blower motor)? It sounds like a lot of the kits on the market require some amount of fitting to work. 

Also CableSrv, your install sounds exciting. Could you take some pics along the way and post?  

Thanks! 

Looks like some great suggestions on this thread. Does anyone have pictures of their installations they could share (e.g. engine bay shots, firewall line routing, air distribution by blower motor)? It sounds like a lot of the kits on the market require some amount of fitting to work. 

Also CableSrv, your install sounds exciting. Could you take some pics along the way and post?  

Thanks! 

Do a search on classicZ forum for vintage air and you'll get a pretty good idea.

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=181739985434&alt=web

I think this was the place. He hasn't installed it yet so haven't seen how good it works. I have the gen 2 compaction vintage air. It's the largest that can fit, but it's a pita to install.

I definitely will be taking some pictures and videos. I however currently lack a condenser and dryer and hose kit. Once the Z is drivable again I'll be picking that up very quickly. Right now she's down due to a suspension overhaul.

Thank you both...   :2thumbs:

The guy in the ebay link, we talked a few months ago:

we can put a complete underhood package together for you which will consists of the following:
AC compressor mounting hardware
New US made ac compressor and clutch
Reciever drier
Hoses (fittings will be attached on one end the other open and fittings sent, you will need to cut the hose to length needed then clock the fittings the correct angle and crimped locally.)
Parallel flow condenser with mounting hardware
14" cooling fan with electronic adjustable thermostat
Hardware and instructions
Total price $950.00, price includes shipping within the Continental U.S.

This kit is based off the engine either having a serpentine drive belt or if V-belt having a 3 groove crankshaft pulley and 2 groove waterpump pulley.

On the 1978 Datsun the factory evaporator core had the expansion valve made on the evaporator core. If you are converting the refrigerant to R134a this valve will not work for the pressures on R12. If you have the factory evaporator core we do offer a replacement core with a expansion valve for $395.00. If you have a dealer installed or port of entry a/c then we can offer the replacement expansion valve for an additional $65.00. If you are not for sure you are welcome to send us pictures and we will be glad to see what you have.
Hope this has been of help and please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.
J.W.

Real nice guy and very up front. He asks a few things to see what you have and will custom your build. I still have his email if you need it.

video I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmYQPzrt3uI

video II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDksgw4MVIo

video III: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcSZ_MjlnEY

video IV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6WX25fKZo8

Unfortunately didn't have time to splice them all together... plus that would make like a 30+ min video...