HybridZ

240Z w/ 331 SBF

Welp here we go down the rabbit hole! So I purchased this bright yellow 1971 240Z, sight unseen (yeah I know) from a Copart auction, hoping for the best but prepping for the worst. The plan was to take it all the way down to the shell, do any body repair required and like a phoenix from the ashes, bring something special out of it. So I had a 331 with aluminum heads and Edelbrock intake setup for EFI I had built out from a previous project (Locost 7 that never came to be) that is still wrapped in plastic and waiting a home. I want to put a full Apex Engineered suspension in it, as some other neat features as we go along, but first thing first, we have to get it apart.

From when I rolled her off the truck I could already see the rusted floor pans, the aircraft turbo charger someone mated to the SU carb, the hugh speak box in the back and the yellow. .. .everywhere. The trunk was rusted shut and so I have my work set out for me. Finally got the trunk open after a day or two and the expected hatch sill damage was there, in addition to a good port of the hatch itself being rusted away

20190807_131000.jpg

20190809_230627.jpg

20190814_160305.jpg

Edited by DC_Mike
Images not working

No pictures of the spectacular aircraft turbo setup? Build yourself a rotisserie, while your at it go down the local big rig shop and grab an old air brake S-camshafts and a cheap manual slack adjusters ($10-15).  Grab a bushing kit, ~$30 and will come with enough bushings to do two cams, a new tub DOM tube sized for the bushings (can't remember measurement off hand) and then weld whatever attachement plate you desire to the cutoff S-cam and you're set with 22:1 gearing that locks in any position you desire.  I got the idea from some engine stands I've seen done this way, I currently have two modified harbor freight stands that I'm waiting to setup once the wife's Yukon is all put back together. (first picture is mine, second was shamelessly stolen from a google search)

completed headstock.jpg

998573254_completedstand.jpe.dcb2cf1ab73f15986ffbbe934338f1be.jpe

Edited by 1969honda
added picture

So I'm really going back and forth about putting it on a rotisserie and doing it all myself (I have basic welding ability and own a TOG, MIG , and Plasma cutter) and sending over to a body shop to have them do the sheetmetal work. Right now I'm probably look at new floors, rockers, and rear deck sill (and the hard to find part underneath it). Have a lead on a used rotisserie local that I could pick up. Any advice one way or the other? I'm gather all the books, YouTube videos, and forum posts I can on rust repair and sheetmetal fabrication, but haven't actually DONE any yet, lol.

Edited by DC_Mike

So I might be able to pick up a commercial rotisserie for cheaper than normal, 2 questions:

1) This car looks like someone rolled the rear bumper so there are no brackets, should I be able to grind that down to get to the original mounting holes?
2) If there generic mounting hardware or do I likely need to fab something up myself?

@1969honda that's a solid idea with the adjuster and s-camshaft, i might have to look into that further.

Thanks.

Edited by DC_Mike

1 hour ago, DC_Mike said:

1) This car looks like someone rolled the rear bumper so there are no brackets, should I be able to grind that down to get to the original mounting holes?

Taking a look behind the panel to see if it looks like it's been cut up, or just bondo'd over should give you an idea of what will need doing to mount up the bumpers again.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so we're going to try this again. Utilizing the rusted roof car as a parts car now I was able to find a early 260 that I'm going to use as my project base. It is in WAY better shape as some did a attempt a repairing the floors and there are just a few small rust spots here and there that are repairable. So 240 V8 build take 2.

20190908_134654.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah dont get me wrong this one has a few spots that need repair. I'll need to do a little metal replacement, but it much better than the old one. And just as I say this the car cover gets blown off and it gets rained on, lol. Looks like I got some drying to do tomorrow, sigh. The floor was horribly lap welded back together so I'm thinking I'm going to replace that, I'll get some interior pictures soon.