HybridZ

Settling on two rear end options...

Kind of a dead topic, but following up on the flat plate t3 calls a "cradle" ...

A guy with an r230 swap bent it street driving with 450hp.  He contacted t3 about it and they ghosted him, which seams to be the norm for them.  Not the first person I've talked to who's had the same experience.  

He ended up selling the r230 setup, welding neon coilover tabs to his struts and doing mustang hubs instead.  Now he has a big gap above his diff because the mustang diff doesn't require notching the frame rail above it.  The super 8.8 is a cut down 10.25 sterling... and it is NOT a small differential at all.

IMG_20201102_192358_986.jpg

IMG_20201030_191454_938.jpg

Screenshot_20210113-231445_YouTube.jpg

In my opinion, the only diff mount suitable for a short nose swap is something like this. 

They're too short to just cantilever something off the old diff mount holes, and a piece of plate with slots and lightening holes isn't a great substitution. T3 makes really pretty parts with really nice welds, but I'm consistently confused by some of their engineering choices. 

diff_mount1_Medium_11.jpg

11 hours ago, calZ said:

In my opinion, the only diff mount suitable for a short nose swap is something like this. 

They're too short to just cantilever something off the old diff mount holes, and a piece of plate with slots and lightening holes isn't a great substitution. T3 makes really pretty parts with really nice welds, but I'm consistently confused by some of their engineering choices. 

diff_mount1_Medium_11.jpg

I have been thinking about this... my theory is they must not have much experience with high torque systems. The design/parts look like they would work for near stock torque, but I agree they do not look sufficient for 300+ lbs (maybe less, I don't own their parts). I think the key is, you have actually thought through how the torque reaction is applied to the unibody (which is in and of itself not capable of high torque on its own). It seems their parts focus on being bolt-on, with the same attachment points as you mentioned. 

Of course, having an engineering background does make some of us harsh critics. Doesn't take an engineer though. Breaking enough stuff gives one an intuition on where the weak-points in a design are. 

12 hours ago, Invincibleextremes said:

Kind of a dead topic, but following up on the flat plate t3 calls a "cradle" ...

A guy with an r230 swap bent it street driving with 450hp.  He contacted t3 about it and they ghosted him, which seams to be the norm for them.  Not the first person I've talked to who's had the same experience.  

He ended up selling the r230 setup, welding neon coilover tabs to his struts and doing mustang hubs instead.  Now he has a big gap above his diff because the mustang diff doesn't require notching the frame rail above it.  The super 8.8 is a cut down 10.25 sterling... and it is NOT a small differential at all.

IMG_20201102_192358_986.jpg

IMG_20201030_191454_938.jpg

Screenshot_20210113-231445_YouTube.jpg

I ended up going with your system because you explicitly discuss and address high-torque applications. That's the big selling point. Since T3 makes no such claims, we have to assume their customers are the only ones that really know what it can handle. 

Looking forward to seeing your work when its done! No rush, my car is still in Michigan until March.