HybridZ

CD009 Transmission mount Buy vs Weld

I was looking into how to mount a CD009 into the car, Apex makes a mount:

https://www.apexengineered.com/store/p27/RB25_%2F_T56_%2F_CD009_Transmission_Mount.html

I was wondering if this would be better or worse than welding some tabs where the stock mounts are and fabricating up a bracket (aside from cost). More of a rigidity question as the apex kit just bolts to the floor pan and not the rails. Thoughts?

The CD009 is so wide that you have to remove the stock ears, so it's possible you might not have room for tabs. Hoke and Godzilla both have floor mounts too. That could be so customers don't have to weld, but you might just not have room. 

Yeah, Hoke retired from Datsuns, and I think Godzilla only sells them as part of their kits. You might be able to email them and get one separate. 

I really just meant that I assume since all 3 people that offer(ed) them did floor mounts, it's likely that there isn't room. It could just be for simplicity though. Are you putting a CD009 behind an L-series, or do you have a different engine? 

I just talked to the guys are Godzilla and they said they get it from Apex so there you go. He said that they were pretty stout and never had any issues with it. I'm putting it behind an RB motor. Not gonna be making crazy power, but you know how the sheetmetal is on our cars 😁

I have an apex mount new not used I can sell for $150. I kept the GM poly trans mount and ended up making my own.

You do have to cut the ears off the factory trans mount and with the shaped floor you can't just move them down. I did not like the driveshaft angle with the Cd009 and Nissan L motor.

On 2/26/2022 at 7:35 AM, gregkring said:

I have an apex mount new not used I can sell for $150. I kept the GM poly trans mount and ended up making my own.

You do have to cut the ears off the factory trans mount and with the shaped floor you can't just move them down. I did not like the driveshaft angle with the Cd009 and Nissan L motor.

Do you have any pictures of what you did? I've been curious about these swaps and haven't found any good information on driveshaft angles. I'm assuming you moved the tail of the trans further up in the tunnel? Do you even have room to do that without cutting more of the tunnel? 

I moved the trans up as far as I could. I also moved the diff up slightly in the rear to get the angles just right. Technically I should not have had to do anything to the rear. I never measured it with the stock trans so I don't know what the factory angles were. Just shooting for the standard 1-3 degrees.

• 4 weeks later...