HybridZ

L6 head porters who know DATSUN

A to Z

Hello all,

Curious.....I know it is important to find guys who know how to port the datsun heads so that they will make the max pwoer.  That if it isn't done correctly, it really can screw things up.  So, please give the name of guys you know who know how to do it.

Slover's Head Porting in California I have heard is good.  HARD to get ahold of.

Rebello is not taking any more head work....he is really backed up on heads awaitng work.

Who else?

1 hour ago, Dat73z said:

I would stay away from Slovers if possible, I had to finally block him on facebook.  Lots of wild messages in the middle of the night, some nice and some nasty.  Very strange.

Yoes looks like he does good work.  I wonder if he flow benches his stuff.  

My head is at Yoes. I don’t recommend if you have a timetable (he is busy) and you may need to repeat your specs and follow-up. Also, not cheap. My head work is coming to around $3K and most of that is labor for porting and chamber work. 

This is for a street application? Just keep in mind that this kind of intense head work doesn’t usually make sense unless you are living mostly in the high-rpm’s with a long duration/lift cam and at least upgraded rods so you can rev high with piece of mind. Not trying to dissuade you. It’s just a lot of money for something that won’t drive so we’ll on the street.

You are using a V07 crank as well ya? The rods are going to experience even more acceleration for a given RPM to travel the extra 4mm. You may want to consider the whole engine and what your limiting factor is. For example, no need to upgrade your valve spring retainers (to rev high) if you don’t plan to utilize lighter rods and pistons as well. You will risk throwing a rod. 

Top End Performance also does work on Datsun engines. Apparently they did most of the work on my block before I got it, but I also have a custom ground cam from them

They have a lot of albums available so you can see some of their work. Their site says they do flow testing too, but I'm not sure many people have that much info out. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tep_icp/sets/

• 2 months later...

I found the cheapest and fastest way to get your head ported, is to go on to a lot of forums and start asking if anyone has a ported head they would sell?  You wouldn't believe how many guys have one, that has just been sitting.  I grabbed one with the cam, lifters, correct lash pads, proper valve springs ..... everything.  500 miles on it, sitting for years and got it for half of what it would cost just for the work, not including the price of the head.  And it has an AWESOME cam!  Never hurts to just ask around!