HybridZ

Air Suspension

I haven’t posted on HybridZ in quite a while, but I still have my Z and I’ve attached some fairly recent pictures to this post.  My car has gone through several iterations over the years and I’m starting another one now.  I’m going to install air suspension from a company called KT4 Performance as well as changing to ZTrix fenders (Subtle Z on the front and 280YZ with wheel lips ala Dan Juday).  I know there’s been many posts about air suspension, but I haven’t seen one follow through with documenting an installation, so I will do that on this thread for anyone that’s interested.

IMG_2321.jpeg

IMG_2318.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mutantZ said:

How is the handling with air springs? I was always curious about that with the custom car crowd. What was your reason for going with them? They look like some quality kit.

I won’t know until after installation about the handling, but I suspect that if handling is most important than springs would be better.  The thing for me is being able to maintain a nice low ride height with the ability to raise the car for driveways and speed bumps and such, and put it extra low when parking.

I received my struts and I believe they come from the same manufacturer that create BC coilovers.  I’ve attached an image of the struts and the bag of miscellaneous items and it looks very similar to what I’ve seen of how BC coilovers are shipped and the adjustment knob on top.  The company it shipped from is SF Racing in Taiwan.  If someone has BC coilovers maybe they can chime in on the similarities.

Either way, they look good and I’ll be test fitting soon.  From what I’ve seen regarding the installation of BC coilovers you leave about 1.75” of the lower strut tube, but I’m being told by KT4 I should only leave between 2 - 3 cm.  No instructions were included, but I asked and received the attached image.  Upon inspection of the struts it appears if I left 1.75” it would interfere with the bottom of the shock at low settings

IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2033.jpeg

IMG_3067.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

The front is mocked up and I’m very happy with my KT4 Performance air suspension so far.  Fully aired out I have about 3/4” clearance to the inner fender.  About 2” clear @ around 80 PSI and about 2.5” @ 100 PSI.  Including a short video of airing it out and it’s best with audio on 😆

IMG_2059.jpeg

IMG_2061.jpeg

IMG_2062.jpeg