13B turbo in a 240z?

auxilary

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow this thread is from almost 3 years ago

I'm assuming the swap never happened' date=' but I would definetly love to see a rotory in a z.[/quote']

actually, no. it's not quite dead yet. It's just in.... suspended animation

PICT0208.sized.jpg

PICT0217.sized.jpg

PICT0228.sized.jpg

PICT0232.sized.jpg

PICT0229.sized.jpg

PICT0212.sized.jpg

PICT0145.sized.jpg

icmount1.sized.jpg

icmount2.jpg

I haven't worked on it since sept. due to some personal issues. I'm slowly trying to work myself back to finishing it/getting it running.

It's looking really good, come on now just imagine how good it will feel to finally start her up...and actually get to drive it!!!! If it makes you feel any better my car is still in pieces after 3.5 years. I have just about ever part I need but have not been able to touch it because of school and some personal issues. for the last 8 months its been about 10 days of solid labor away from being a running and driving car...so close i can taste it!

I really hope you are able to find some time and energy to work on her and hopefully finish very soon, your car was an inspiration to me when I was first building mine...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I have question. Does anyone have the wieght figures of the FC single turbo 13B with 5-speed compared to the new RENESIS with the 6-speed (5-speed available)? I'm looking into wieghts instead of horsepower figures, the engine could wiegh only 50 lbs but if the transmission weigh 400 lbs then you might as well do the SR20 or CA18. Exageration but gets my point across, I want total package wieght and not just a part of the package wieght.

if your looking purely at weights, you will get useless answers.

you ideally need an engine that weights as little as possible, has as much torque as possible, and revs as high as possible.

Seeing as this mythical engine doesn't exist, unless you can afford a F1 motor, you must compromise between those three main points into a motor that suits your particular application.

Also, some more rotoary info.

the fuel economy of a 13B is comparable to a 3.9L engine.

20B is comparable to a 5.8L engine

26B is comparable to a 7.8L engine

once you go 20B (3 rotor), or 26B (4 rotor) the engines tend to twist themselves apart.

the soloution to that is to dowell the block internally, but an external brace could probably be made too, you could also include engine mounts in that brace.

If you want a 26B eccentric shaft, you need to get one made.

a few workshops do them, one in NZ does them for around the $3000 mark, not including shipping

I have heard roumors of a 6 rotor engine, and only ever found one grainy little pic on the net.

the engine capacity would be considered to be about 7.8L but the comparable economy would be the same as a 11.7L motor, and it would be very capable of 1000kw without any serious modification.

i would imagine it would sound like a VERY angry nest of giant sized hornets.

it would more than likely have a very strong torque output, and a wicked power band.

it is worth remembering though, the more rotors the engine has (the bigger it is), the less it'll rev.

NOt to mention a 6 rotor would be like 6 foot long :burnout:

Probably easier to build one like a DB610 aircraft engine then (two complete engines side by side, with gearing in the front to a common output shaft). Doubles (or slightly more) the width, but it would stay in a rational length.

• 10 months later...

I read something recently that may be of interest to people thinking about a 13B swap. You can remove the bellhousing from the RX7 transmission and put it on a transmission from a B2600 and that would move the shifter up 6" meaning you can put the engine 6" further back into the engine bay. Here's the link http://www.projectzerog.com/rx7transmissions.shtml