HybridZ

Gear Oil- What Works Best for a Stock ZX 5-speed?

geotek

:?:

I just put a new clutch in the daily driver ('83 N/A ZX- stock.) I sent my wife to NAPA for some gear oil (what a helper!) and she brought back some 75-w150. It seemed pretty thick, but summer is coming, and I had to go to work the next day. Now when I start out at 5:00am in the mornings, it's almost impossible to hit 2nd gear, and difficult to get 3rd. Once the car warms up, everything is fine.

What type/weight of oil do YOU use successfully?

I live in Texas, and it will soon be hot as hades. Should I just wait for summer?

the synthetics work really well in the cold. i always run synthetics in my truck because in the last 5 years i've worked up north in the winter. if you think you can come out in the morning at -35 Celcius and try to start your truck with normal fluid in it you might as well go back to bed. i've seen guys driving around in 4 wheel drive dragging the rear end because the diff wouldn't budge. i always run moble 1. it flows well at any temperature and doesn't break down as fast as the normal oils do. it's a bit more but good insurance. that being said i don't know what rating i have but i'll check.

• 2 months later...
Guest Zachb55

ok, i didnt want to make a new post and couldnt find the info i need, what wieght would you use in a 280Z 4 speed? I was just about to put my new engine in and i was like, uhhhh, wait just a sec, i need to replace all the stuff that came out of the tranny from a while back too dont i? so now im stumped, but im sure you guys will know. im going to go out on a limb and guess probably about the same as in the ZX five speed, but maybe a little lower viscosity since it never gets over 90 here, and hardly ever over 70 :roll:

-Zach

That gearbox has needle rollers in the gear bearings so you don't want a heavy oil. Probably any of the above synthetic suggestions would be good, synthetics retain their protective qualities longer too.

But, for the sake of choice, you may wish to try Redline MT-90.

Guest Zachb55

hey, thanks a lot guys, ill run into Napa and pick some up in the morning, along with some more freeze plugs (they forgot three in the kit :? ).

-Zach