HybridZ

Upgrading headlights question....

Guest timn

I just installed Cibie replacement headlights. They came with stock 60/50W bulbs. I have some 100/90W bulbs. Can I install these as-is or do I need to add a relay?

Anyone using 100/90s with stock wiring?

Tim

I think almost everyone on this board who has put in relays would never go back.

the headlights are always brighter, and you reduce the load through the switch, which is a major consideration.

I would not use higher wattage bulbs without relays, but then again, I would have the relays put in anyway fo rthe above reason.

I already have on my 280ZXT, and will on my '75 V8 project.

It doesn't make sense not to put relays in. It's 5 bucks and 5 minutes to do!! Not doing it is definitely false economy!!

Tim

I'm still getting my feet wet on the Z, I just got. Is this a standard 4 prong relay? That is mounted between the switch and battery? or switch and lights?

The relay is just a little switch. It has (usually) 4 tabs (elec. connectors) on it.

1> Battery positive (directly from battery source)

2> Positive output to the accessory (headlights in this case)

3> Switch positive

4> ground (earth)

In relaxed mode the relay is open (no current going to the access.)

When you provide current from the switch (headlight switch in this case), it closes the contacts on the relay allowing juice to the lights (full battery juice).

The advantage to the relay use is that the power going through the switch is minimal. It only takes a very low amperage to close the relay. Thus, the lights (or other accessories) get full juice without burning out the switch. Stock early Z headlights don't draw that much amperage so it's not THAT big of a deal. Although, by putting in a relay, even with the stock lights, the lights will shine brighter, because you can give 'em more juice and not worry about the switch burning up.

Here is a good article if you need more detail:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=relay.htm&url=http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/relay_basics.htm

Hope this helps.

Tim

• 1 year later...
I'm just a little confused. Would a relay replace the stock headlight switch, or would the relay itself have a switch that you would mount?

The stock headlight switch will turn on the relay, which will then turn on your headlights.

EDIT: Look at this link here and you will have a better understanding of how a relay works. You could check out the link that Owen posted, but then you might think a relay is a bunch of naked chicks doin' it.

!M!

I just installed Cibie replacement headlights. They came with stock 60/50W bulbs. I have some 100/90W bulbs. Can I install these as-is or do I need to add a relay?

Anyone using 100/90s with stock wiring?

Tim

Here's an option being offered on the Classic Z Car site. I haven't ordered one yet, but it sounds simple enough, especially for those of us without the background in wiring some of you guys have.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?p=104111#post104111

Hi All,

So far this has been very interesting, but I came across a cheap solution to your problem :idea: . Summit has headlight wiring kits for $40.00. Here are the part numbers:

SUM-890035 9005/9006

SUM-890033 H4

SUM-890030 9004

SUM-890031 9007

I hope this helps. :-D:-D:-D

HB280ZT