HybridZ

Supra TT brakes? Blackmagic?? out stop who?

I've got a Q.. more of a bit of an ego grudge match with some of my supra buddies.

How well does a stock Supra tt stop? I do realize they have killer brakes, but have a serious weight penalty...oh.. we are comparing them to Modded 1st gen Z's... One of them is a bit pissed cause I walked him, and the rest of the guys think It was a fluke... That is where this started..hehe friendly at this point. you know the old story.. "well you may have had me ______ but I can do better at this" hehehe

Anyways, these guys don't do road course stuff, so none of them will say (at least bet money) who can out brake or out corner who...

PS I'm trying to talk them into coming to a Z track day, for some hot laps to test there machines out. :D

Anyways.. how would a stock TT do? I have chased stock 300zx tt's around the track, and they were not much of a match against my 280...though I'm not sure I'd stake my reputation (meaning ego) on the line for who could out brake who... supra or Z?

Thoughts? help? I'm kinda out numbered here, and I don't have a Z meeting for quite a while to hash it out with (speculate) hehehe

Cheers guys! :cheers:

Supras are pig heavy cars, although I'm sure they can be made to handle well (seesm like even old muscle cars have handling kits now-a-days). Sorry I cannot answer about the brake package, but they do have antilock features and should do well with sticky tires. It is repeated stopping that really challenges any braking system. If a car can do it time and time again without fading, then it has an advantage....of course, you make the rules :D

Davy

Guest Maxwell

I went to an SCCA event last summer and watched an NA 94 supra pull some good times in a parking lot… there were no Z’s at the event, but there was an almost race ready Honda that beat his times… I also own a 95 Supra TT, but my datsun Hybrid isn’t road ready (yet) so I cant give you a good answer either, however I can tell you that a slightly modified supra (engine and suspension) can be a scary fast car… IMO…

My friend with his 500RWHP TT Supra is always talking about the brakes. Blah, blah, blah...That's what I say. Anywho, they really are awesome. Instead of two sensors, they use four, or rather one at each wheel. ABS sensors that is. I guess Mario Andretti took a TT for a track run. He was most impressed with the brakes. Get in trouble, simply slam on that pedal and get yourself out of it. Of course, you only stop as short as your tires allow, but a good system will allow that to happen repeatedly. I think most Supras don't need more than a pad upgrade for good track ability. Make some air ducts, if they aren't already on there. Anywho, my 2 cents

• 3 years later...
My friend with his 500RWHP TT Supra is always talking about the brakes. Blah, blah, blah...That's what I say. Anywho, they really are awesome. Instead of two sensors, they use four, or rather one at each wheel. ABS sensors that is. I guess Mario Andretti took a TT for a track run. He was most impressed with the brakes. Get in trouble, simply slam on that pedal and get yourself out of it. Of course, you only stop as short as your tires allow, but a good system will allow that to happen repeatedly. I think most Supras don't need more than a pad upgrade for good track ability. Make some air ducts, if they aren't already on there. Anywho, my 2 cents

if someone where to buy an entire supra kit, complete with abs and sensors and all, what are we looking at here?

It depends who's behind the wheel. I've been racing for 5 years, and I'm at the track every other weekend. Me and another driver were having some fun one day at a HPDE and he blamed my faster times on my car. We traded cars and I gained a bigger lead. If the driver is good, who knows what can happen.

I'm using the M/S from a Mk4 Supra, bore about 27mm, bolts up to a 280ZX servo without mods, calipers are early Mk4, 2 pots(big) made spacers to fit on 260Z struts. On 5 stud hubs, only needed a little turning to fit the rotors.(17 inch wheels-need 16 inch wheels minimum to clear calipers)

Stops better than the originals :wink:

I'm using the M/S from a Mk4 Supra, bore about 27mm, bolts up to a 280ZX servo without mods, calipers are early Mk4, 2 pots(big) made spacers to fit on 260Z struts. On 5 stud hubs, only needed a little turning to fit the rotors.(17 inch wheels-need 16 inch wheels minimum to clear calipers)

Pictures?

Supras are big heavy cars, but compared to a 300TT, their brakes are also massive. The fronts easily weigh over twice as much as the Z's, maybe a little more. When I powdercoated a set, I had to hang them one per rack because I thought my hanging rack would collapse in the oven, where I could do a complete set of Z brakes on a rack. The fronts have steel bodies with aluminum outer shells.

When searching for an MKIV I read over and over how great the brakes are. Evidently it has close to super car stopping distances (stock TT) - Do some digging.

Pic's, I have never been able to post a pic on this site, always a problem. I have posted them in my gallery on classiczcars.com same user name.

Pic of M/S and booster shows the spacer,I did not use this, just cut the studs off to same length as on 260/280Z booster- easier to adjust clevis.

slight resetting of pushrod into M/S(2 minutes,plus another two to readjust clevis on pedal end.all that is required, two new pipes cost $15 at local Hydraulic shop))

This is M/s of a car that did not have ABS, the ABS M/s has a third fluid pipe, don't know if just blanking it will work.

The two piston calipers were also on the TT cars until about mid 1994( someone correct if wrong) then they went to 4 pots.( This 2 pot setup also on the Chaser turbo, which was a Japanese market only car.)

2 pots were ok unless you were into big power. They bolted to same brackets so if I come across a set might give them a run.

There are better and lighter brakes for less money and the same time to make them work...

Just one example is the Mustang Cobra setup... Calipers are about $430 brand new from Ford, plus bolts/ speed bleeders/ braided lines/Banjo Bolts (about $140 for all), custom brackets that you would have to drill yourself ($130 from stock car products), rotors (fronts are 13inches and $140 for the pair and rears are $130 per pair and 11.75 inches), and five lug hubs/stub axles which would have to be sourced for any fivelub brake setup. The beauty of this setup is you can retain the OEM replacement "cheapness" to maintain and you can retain the e-brake.

I have owned a number of brake systems for Zcars, from the traditional 4X4 toyota setup I wrote the tech article on that still resides on Zcar.com, to numerous Wilwood setups, the Outlaw 4000 series system that was sold by Mike Gibson, and I've installed TWO of these Cobra brake setups from Ford. Simply put, for an OEM style setup, they are CHEAP, LIGHT and work WELL... You can be pretty much guaranteed of getting replacement parts within 24-48 hours anywhere in the country. Having tracked a number of cars out there, including C5 Corvettes that eat brake rotors at single track weekend events, I'm confident that the Mustang Cobra system is as good as any out there. The PBR caliper is light, strong, and a great brake caliper.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sold on the idea of using Cobra brakes. But my dilemma is where to get a kit for the install ? I would prefer to buy a complete kit from someone. Modern motorsports seems to be overworked and VERY hard to get a dialog with, so is there anyone else ? I need 4.5 inch 5 lugs as well. And coil overs.

I want the hand brake and dust seals, so the Arizona z car kit is a 2nd choice for me. I have money and want to purchase. It's a bit depressing how you can't get parts for these cars anymore. Geeze.

-Les

Hmmm... You know, I hear this all the time about MML. But every time I order from Ross, I get the stuff immediately. He even gets back to me with questions top make sure I'm getting what I want.

Case in point was the studs in his custom stub axles. I wanted half inch studs to match those in the front aluminum hubs I bought from Jamie Taylor. Ross Made sure I got what I wanted, and they match pefectly and work like a charm!

Putting a kit together may well be difficult if you can't weld. There is no caliper bracket that currently works with the stock rear cobra caliper. You have to buy some steel stock ( Used a caliper bracket from Coleman racing and cut and welded it up to my specs.) and fabricate it to make it work with the 240SX are Maxima caliper bracket you plan to use. Mine is a JCR rear early 280ZX caliper bracket.

Otherwise, these brakes are the best of both worlds in my opinion. Parts can be gotten quickly, and the OEM support from the Ford crowd is most impressive.

Mike

Mike Kelly

Ross must be swamped now. I put two emails into his company with the answers to the questions he had for me , but no response.

Maybe he does not like my car ?:D

Even a short email back, like " Got it, stand by a bit" would be curtious and polite.

-Les

ross has been horribly busy. he lives about an hour from me. if you guys need stuff, or questions fast, pm me and i can phone him, then you can get answers quick. make sure you include your email, so he can contact you faster. he doesnt seem to get back to emails, even to me!

If you're running a piston caliper off of a mkIV supra, then I bet they belong to an NA. The TTs had 4 pistons on front and 2 piston rears. You'll also need 17s to clear the TT calipers, if anybody is considering this option..

There are definitely better, lighter, and cheaper kits out there, but those brakes truly are amazing. I've been HPDE'ing a 91 240sx, gutted (2600lbs), with a full 300zxTT brake system with race pads for the past couple of years. I took my 93 supra out recently with TT brakes (it's NA) and a semi-race pads and stopping that car was less dramatic and much faster than the 240, and I never engaged ABS.

They are an amazing setup, though I have heard very good things about the Cobra setup and I've almost convinced myself that that is the way to b/c rotors and pads will be cheaper and you will probably not really notice the difference so much that it will outweigh the cost, especially in such a light car.

Most importantly though, as stated before, is the driver. A good driver compressing his brake zones and trailbraking can make a meager brake setup seem extraordinary, especially with a good suspension which will allow him to carry more speed through the turn. Look at the big picture, b/c the suspension setup really can have a big effect on the braking capacity/necessity.

Edit: Kept ready and Mikelly laid it out exactly right. As for Russ, you're down under so all bets are off for what I know :-D. How do you like your setup? I'm really thinking about using my old calipers and rotors from the supra on my Z, they're just collecting dust now...

• 5 weeks later...

Only just noticed your post,Brakes were from NA

As someone has said there are better options,but like you, had a set sitting there,so used them.

Couple of pic's, the bracket, I am going to have to redo this, as when the pads wear down the bleed nipple will eventually contact the strut.(getting close now)

Discs needed small amount taken out of center to fit hubs.(Billet hubs, so no point in giving you measurments)

with the Supra M/S ,280ZX booster, brilliant stopping,

Will only take a little thinking to set up, work out spacer, and you will have big cheap brakes

(Still need to lower front, and get the wheel back a little from guard/dam)

102_thumb.jpg

107_thumb.jpg

111_thumb.jpg

beast 005_thumb.jpg