HybridZ

Body kits and high wings - History repeats itself.

Guest greimann

The wing is aluminum, and yes people can sit on them, supposedly very structurally sound. Yes the "bumps" were installed on the street cars to mimic the modification to the racing versions to allow for tire clearance.

You know how they calculated the wing height? Simple, it had to be tall enough to open the trunk :D

I have never liked those cars, but they whupped ass on the oval track, they did not like to turn though - they were best at straightline stuff. Now that is a real freakin land cruiser, makes my Camaro look small!

Guest Aaron

Those wings had a brace that goes from the upright through the trunk and bolts to frame of the car. If it did not have those supports, the downforce it generated would buckle the rear sheetmetal.

Guest Zpeed

is that how they came from the factory...

i don't know, it looks horid in my opinion, functional or not, just doesn't look good imo... but hey, without the wing the car is oldskool muscle and with it also

I remember when the superbirds came out. We use to laugh at them. Not many people I knew wanted them. The wing is "functional". Functional should you ever hit the upper side of 100 MPH. BIG does not begin to describe the size of those cars.

But I guess the super bird owners are getting the last laugh now. They routinely sell for over $100K at the high end auctions. Shows you what I know.

I wonder if a civic with a 5 inch exhaust and park bench wing will ever be worth anything....

is that how they came from the factory...

i don't know' date=' it looks horid in my opinion, functional or not, just doesn't look good imo... but hey, without the wing the car is oldskool muscle and with it also[/quote']

Yes, thats how it came - and I agree its a nasty looking car (IMO), but I'm not a Mopar guy at all. Some of them are ok, but by and large they weight about as much as decomissioned ARMY tanks, not my style. Give me a first gen Camaro over a Mopar any day, I dont care if it doesn't have a Hemi.

As for the wing being functional over 100 MPH, what wing isn't? There is no need for downforce under 100 unless you drive a BUG.

Guest ON3GO

those cars are awesome.

my friend is building a 68 (i think) charger, All black, its already got a RV 440 in it, and its gonna be built when done.

it so sweet.

old cars rock.

mike

Guest John Adkins

Some of them are ok' date=' [b']but by and large they weight about as much as decomissioned ARMY tanks[/b], not my style. Give me a first gen Camaro over a Mopar any day, I dont care if it doesn't have a Hemi.

Another common myth spread by Chevy Fans :roll:

1969 CHEV CHEVELLE SS396 3895 lbs.

1969 DODGE SUPER BEE 383 3765 lbs.

1969 PLYM R RUNNER HEMI 3938 lbs.

1968 Camaro Z28 3695lbs

1968 PLYM BCUDA S 340 3330 lbs.

1968 DODG DART GTS 340 3480 lbs.

1970 CHEV CAMARO Z28 3640 lbs.

1970 PLYM AAR CUDA 340 3585 lbs.

Mopars are usually within 100lbs of an equivalent Chevy, and are usually a few pounds lighter, except for Hemis which are heavier because of those big cast iron heads.

I grew up loving the 60's and early 70's generation cars especially the Charger and the Camaro. I do not have any brand loyalty, but I do like the 67-68 Camaro a lot. However, those Superbirds are bad ass cars and Detroit will never make anything like them again.

Will a Honda with a fart pipe ever bring a hundred grand in 30 years? Never! Respect the elder cars and never use the word "rice" in a sentence while talking about one of these these beauties! :D

1968 Camaro Z28 3695lbs

Yeah right, I want to know who made up that number. I know plenty of people in the 3200 pound range without removing ANYTHING.

1970 CHEV CAMARO Z28 3640 lbs.

That I can maybe believe, 2nd gens were BIG cars, first gens not on your life. I could push my LUXURY equiped 69 Firebird 400/400 EASILY, much easier in fact than my 94 and I was easily 30 pounds lighter back then.

I remember when those wings showed up on Super Bee's. You could see the wing kick in when the car past 60, it started to drop and get a lower stance. They were (and are) fully functional. The great thing was back then even the cops would stand back and watch a pass with us. We'd all grin and head our seperated ways. It was 100+ pass in a safe spot with cops hanging around, man how times have changed. Back then we'd give the locals a heads up and see a any of them wanted to join us, on more then one occasion they asked us to move the run and wait for some of the other locals to arrive. We usually ended up making runs down a section of road the three different townships could watch and still be on duty in their area. Those Super Bee's, Chargers and Road Runners always drew a crowd to see that wing kick in.

- Joe

Guest tt350

I like it, except for that ugly front end. I think if they made the front end look like a First gen camaro (one of the most beutiful cars by the way) that thing would look awesome. Or we can just put That Beoing wing on the camaro and see what it looks like. Photoshop guys, where are ya?

I love first gen camaros. I mean those things are (to me anyway) better lookin than the new ferrari enzo. Bold statement, but I stand behind it.

BTW, I saw a 3rd gen camaro today. RICED UP. I almost threw up. It had an aluminum wing with GLOW TUBES and stickers alll over. God DAMN! I was a gonna giva that guy a whoopin, but i need to stay in school. :D