HybridZ

Performance difference between I6 and mild V8?

Guest HellTriX

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you may have forgotten about turbo inline sixs in first gen z's' date=' which can be very fun with only a few mods.

-Austin Hoke[/quote']

;) Yes, with TONS of low-end torque. You'd swear it's a V8, except for the fuel mileage :D

i like the turbo swap a lot, for the price of an overdrive manual v8 tranny

t56 used 1200-1500, I did the entire swap and have money left over.

im working on a v8 swap right now------------------1965 MALIBU with a get this-----------------A STRAIGHT SIX/pg......im gonna use a tow truck 454 and th400 trucks towing equipment fried and the owner just gave ti up to the game......yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Guest Carlissimo

When I first converted my z to a stock 1967 327 small block, I thought it had too much torque and not enough of an RPM band (it simply ran out of steam at 5500 RPM). Yes it was wild to drive in a straight line, but I didn't like the truck like behavior of the engine. I missed that "sports car feel" of the orginal I6. :(

When I rebuilt the engine, I went for more RPMs at the upper end. I ended up trading off some low end torque for strong power past 7000 RPM. I like the way the engine performs much better now.... Just like the original z car...with over twice the horsepower. :)

• 4 months later...

Check my post about my experiences at the track at the convention last week. There was at least one 3.2L stroker L6 that I couldn't close the gap on with my 327 V8Z. His car is stripped a good bit (Tony's) and mine weighs 2800 with A/C, 3/4 tank of gas, and all but a few bits of carpet installed. I will grant you that I'm still having some tuning problems with

the Holley Projection, but I doubt it's more than 30 HP from where it should be.

If you're going V8, don't expect to kill nearly everything on the street unless you build it for 400hp or more at the crank. JMO.

Torque...hmmm....

I wonder if I can put a cummins diesel in my 280Z...

As far as weight...well...if you talk about dropping an L28ET in, don't forget the additional weight of things like the intercooler, bracketry, turbo, manifold, piping, etc...in either case, you're going to be adding weight to the car...however...

Don't forget that the 350 will neutralize the weight of the car and lower the center of gravity...the amount of weight isn't as important as where the weight is.

I think both engines have their advantages/disadvantages.

We can all agree that there is no replacement for displacement. and...before you say anything about a turbocharged 6 making more power than a V8...remember that if you turbocharge the V8 it will make more power still...so, the ease of getting higher hp numbers out of the V8 will be easier than the I6 in the long run...

I personally like the V8 rumble, but, all opinions vary.

Don't forget that the 350 will neutralize the weight of the car and lower the center of gravity

V8s have more weight up high then the Nissan L6. If you move an L6 back and down the same amount you can with a JTR V8 install you can get a 46/54 weight distribution and a lower CG. The only way to beat the L6 is to run an aluminum block and heads on the V8.

I'd think a V8 would have a higher CG, top to bottom, but the L6 is taller isn't it? So where is the CG height of each, relative to the crank centerline?

I can't see how a V8 could NOT have a CG behind that of an L6 if installed with the flywheel in the same place. Add aluminum heads/intake/waterpump with headers and a lite starter and I don't see how the V8 and L6 for/aft weight distribution wouldn't be nearly the same. The weight difference in the engines is under 50 lbs at that point.

Yes, I realize the transmission is heavier for the V8, but that would only shift the For/Aft numbers towards the rear. With AL radiators, there's no reason to think that the V8 would cause more forward weight in that area, except for added fluid capacity, if needed.

The V8 has two cast iron cylinder heads up high, the L6 has an aluminum cylinder head up high. The V8 mounts the intake manifold and carb up higher then the L6s intake system. FYI... I'm comparing where everything is realative to the crank centerline, not the bottom of the oil pan. Remember, the L6 is a deep skirt deisgn.

I thought I read somewhere that the V8 actually lowers the center of grav...

Compared to an L6 in the stock location, yes it does. But, move the L6 back and down the same amount as the V8 (as in my 240Z) and the CG is better. Just think about the weight distribution if the V8 was mounted in the stock L6 location.

We can all agree that there is no replacement for displacement. and...before you say anything about a turbocharged 6 making more power than a V8...remember that if you turbocharge the V8 it will make more power still...so, the ease of getting higher hp numbers out of the V8 will be easier than the I6 in the long run....

You are absolute right about NRFD, but the thing is you have to build a V8 to take a turbo, where an L28ET can make the hp stock. So $ for $, the L28ET gives the V8 a very good run for the money all the way to 400hp.

I think its the shock that breaks things in the rear more than torque.

With an auto you can run 400lbs and put it down, but nothing is forever.

Its not rocket science that a v8 turbo is going to be faster than a 2.8, and it better be.

A really good handling v8z is a work of art, the product of a lot of well thought planning and better execution, a lot of variables change when the pushrod goes in. A really good handling turbov8z would be awesome, if it existed :D

I think that was the Z06 driver, personally. That was Buttonwillow. He looked like he was lifting or coasting through the esses, REALLY took his time going into the first hill, coasting through the bus stop, went way too easy over both hills, and going way too easy in general. It also looked like he was coasting into the braking zones too. Too afraid to gas it until he needed to brake. I can say that I was guilty of all these things the first time I went to a big track. Its really hard to learn, but Open Track events are a good place to go, because you can get a pro in the car with you. It's $150 well spent.

FWIW - I LAPPED a '99 Turbo 911 there in a 30 min session at an Open Track HPDE, and no, he didn't spin. He was however a 65 year old dentist...

You gotta give the Z some credit too. He was certainly doing a better job than the Z06, and probably walked away with a HUGE smile on his face.

FUN TO WATCH!!! Thanks thefastestz.

Jon