HybridZ

WHY Us Vs. THEM???

Mikelly

Guest ON3GO

guys look at it this way....

kids are kids, we (yes im a kid too, only 19) dont make much money, and you have to remember that gas prices are high and theres something about a 4 banger that can get 40mpg and still be some what quick...

im the biggest anti honda kid out there, but i will give props to anybody that does his own work and spends his hard earned cash on his car, even if its a CRX.

and theres other reasons why kids/ppl want to make a honda fast..... its just a great feeling to beat a corvette in your civic hatch... really think about it.

yeah it might not be a vette, but then again we are driving datsuns!!! yeah they might be classics, fast, look good and do everything else good, BUT we still have to put abit of money in it to make it really do anything GOOD. i know for a fact most of you guys could have bought a viper with some of the money you put in your Z's.

example....

theres a kid in my town.. he is really poor, no joke. his parents arent together, his dad doesnt help him with anything. the kid goes to school and then right to his work were he gets paid like no money. he bought a 1995 (i think?) integra LS for 400 bucks... no interior, no motor, paint all a mess. sense no motor he found his way to school and work from friends and by bike sometimes. he then saved up enough money and dropped a CRV motor in it, and blah blah blah blah.. its got vtec, a turbo, and etc.. he did it all himself, all in his back yard, all junk yard stuff. AND HE IS ONLY 16!!!!! he couldnt afford a paint job so he spray painted it black, found some seats and put it in there. everything is custom, and he did it all himself, with help of his friends tools.

he now makes so much money street racing that he can afford anything for his car... no joke the kid is loaded cuz of this car. but he wont sell it, or buy another car because he built it himself, and he really doesnt care what ppl say about him or his car.

and that really goes for all these kids, they built it the way they like it and thats all that matters...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest soulfly454

well being 16 and still in high school i think iunderstand why every one is on this honda craze simply cuz kids my age are extremely either uneducated about cars or about performance all together ive had kids actully tell me about why there na 89 celica is faster then my v-8 datsun cuz theres is FI and mine has a carburator and they have DOHC or v-tec or eco-tec or whatever tec it is now and they just dont understand that 4.6 (5.7 for most of u)-liter=from maybe 270-500+ and cut that to 1.8 liters and u can see the difference now i hear u guys talkin bout the kid who bought that integra for 800 well i had a perfect interior painted running 1971 240z with a built 283 for 1500 so u tell me the better deal

Guest QuasiMondo

I was thumbing through a few recent Car Craft magazines and I read an article about the 'Pro Street' movement of the '80s. For those who don't remember what that was, that was the 'ricer' phase of domestics where they'd take a car, tub it out, throw the fattest Mickey Thompsons they could find out back with the narrowest rear end, the most chromed out engine possible featuring blowers, a lumpy idle, and a snarling exhaust sound that would scare the bejeezus out of anybody within earshot, and still manage to pull only 15 seconds on the quarter mile. Streetablity was nonexistent with massive meats in the back and skinny tires up front made handling horrid. Not ony that, they had the most flashing, blinging, blazing, outlandish paint jobs this side of 2Fast 2Furious. Halfway through the article, they made mention of the paralles of the pro street movement and the curing 'bling-bling' of import cars.

The point I make is that the 'rice' craze wasn't necessarily limitd to hondas and toyotas and over time, these pro street cars evolve to being less show and more go. I think that this will happen over time with the rice phenemenon that's going to happen too. If you've been keeping up with what's been coming out of the manufacturer skunkworks you'll see that a hopped up econobox from Dodge is their fastest vehicle behind the Viper. You'll see another econobox from Mitsubishi being compared with supercars by professional automotive journalists. And these two econoboxes are joined by a trendsetting third econobox from Subaru (of all manufacturers) to engage in one of the most exciting horsepower wars since Mopar, FoMoCo and GM locked horns in the late 60's.

As much as people blast hondas (and I'm just as guilty as the rest of you) you can't ignore the fact that they have an aftermarket for their VTEC's as big as what's out there for small block chevys, and with the abundance of parts, prices are dopping, and performance is increasing. Trust me, the import crowd hates the posers as much as we do, because they have to put up with our jokes and stories of spanking some fart piped Hyundai in our JTR converted Z and we didn't even break a sweat. They despise the 'rice' as much as we do.

p.s. One last thing...in my opinion, a CRX is a sports car, and a mighty fine one at that. Maybe I'm partial to it because that was my first car, but I never had so much fun in a car as much as I did with that little pocket rocket.

With all the political, government, insurance, special interest, and soccer mon organizations doing their absolute best to eliminate the performance and fun from ALL vehicles, why would any of us choose to ridicule someone that's in our camp? I don't care if the kid puts a triple decker wing on the back of his Rodney King signature model Hyundai Excel - he likes cars and is an ally. Give him some props.

:D )

What I hate is the Honda purists looking down on us cuz of an American motor. How can they praise a CIVIC with an NSX motor and rear wheel drive and not the V8Z?!?!? These people simply don't appreciate pure engineering and performance.

There will always be posers, ricers, and purists - just do what you want and be happy with what you have and the hard work you've put into it. I don't think any of us here are doing what we are doing to prove something to the world.

Owen

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JAMIE T

I'm good freinds with some guys who used to run an import shop in town. One day I pulled in with my Z28(350+RWHP), One of the guys made a comment that push rods sucked. I heard him but acted like I didn't(he was stand right next to my car(I was still in it with the engine running). I asked him what he said, As he repeated it, I revved the motor up, then asked him again what he said('cause I couldn't hear him over the exhuast). When he repeated it, I revved the motor again. We both broke out laughing cause he knew that nothing in that shop could stand next to the Z28 in ANY race.

My first car was a '79 Olds, Hurst/Olds. I did what I could afford to do to it. Mostly just drove it. My next car was a '70 Olds 442 that had a 12.5:1 compression big block Olds, strictly race gas, 11.0's in the quarter(on street tires, thru mufflers, no nitrous). I drove my moms old '76 Comet 4dr most of the time becuase obviously my part time job couldn't buy $4/gal Cam 2 on a daily basis. After that I went on to 5.0 Mustangs. Went from high 13's in the quarter to high 9's(over the period of three differant mustangs).

Now, I've got this(actually a couple) Datsun 240Z with its original Datsun engine and the "ORIGINAL J-Spec" body kit, AKA, ZG Flares and an air dam.

I'm putting a Datsun turbo engine in one of my 240Z's. I want a loud BOV, open waste-gate dump, huge turbo blowing sick boost. It also has the ZG flares, and air dam, and "oh my god!" a 432 rear spoiler. Am I a Ricer? Maybe.

Do I own a 350+ rwhp Z28? YEP!

I am NOT against imports. One of my pet peves is when I here about some hot rod V8 pony car bragging that he raced a "Ricer" and blew his doors off. HOORAY for you numb nutz! Try jumping on my car, and see what happens. Get his nutz cut, is what happens. There's a Mustang in town that has the liscence plate "RICEATR" Big F'n deal, your twin turbo(Incon) "pustang" can beat a 4cyl. econobox. Congratulations!

I HOPE I can find that guy when I'm out riding in the Turbo Z. 2.8L's of Nitroused and boosted RICE!

There's a Mustang in town that has the liscence plate "RICEATR" Big F'n deal' date=' your twin turbo(Incon) "pustang" can beat a 4cyl. econobox. Congratulations!

[/quote']

There's a guy in town with a Fire Chicken that has a liscense plate that reads "CIVIC BEATER". People I don't even know refer to him as the guy who beats up Grandma's (think about it). Poor choice for a liscense plate IMO for that type of car. But hey, to each thier own. :roll: .

!M!

I guess I have a more macroscopic viewpoint on this one. It seems like the goal of this thread is to figure out how to not hurt anyone's feelings.

When I was a dumb@$$ kid, the only thing that made me figure out that I was a dumb@$$ kid was people telling me I was a dumb@$$ kid. Ricers are, generally speaking, dumb@$$ kids. Not all of them. Just the vast majority. Young and dumb and full of... cumbersome fiberglass body kits.

Most of us are in America right? Here people should be able to say whatever they want, and use the strength of their argument to back up what they say. If they don't have the argument, or if it is flawed, people SHOULD tell them.

People are entitled to opinions, not entitled to an opinion that is correct. I have certainly had my share of ideas and opinions that turned out to be wrong. I would like to officially thank everyone who has ever shown me that I was incorrect in anything I might have said or thought or done. You made me a more knowledgeable person, and for that I am grateful. The strength is in being able to admit when you're wrong and learning why, not preventing people from telling you that you're wrong because it is hurtful to find out that you aren't always correct.

IMHO the guy who spends his minimum wages on decals and fart tips should be told that he is being a jack@$$. Most of these guys want to go fast, but they have no clue what they are doing, so they just follow the crowd.

There was an autocross about 5 years ago where about 10 of us experienced autocrossers ganged up on a crowd of ricers and actually got through to them. They were so happy when they lost 3 seconds by raising the seat enough to see over the steering wheel, and learning that adjusting air pressure in the tires makes a difference in how cars handle. That sort of thing is what should be perpetuated. I certainly appreciated it when someone showed me.

My $.02,

Jon Mortensen

When I was a dumb@$$ kid, the only thing that made me figure out that I was a dumb@$$ kid was people telling me I was a dumb@$$ kid.

That was true for me too, but I would only listen to someone I respected or had some credibility.

IMHO the guy who spends his minimum wages on decals and fart tips should be told that he is being a jack@$$.

But, if you're "just some old guy" driving a Camaro or some "old school" 240Z you don't have that kid's respect and he's not going to listen to you. Lecture all you want, you have no credibility and you're not his peer, his brother, or his father.

Most people have to learn through their own experiences and mistakes.

You're right. .That's why we "ganged up" on the guys at the auto-x. Many of us had told them to put the seat up, turn off the freakin radio, etc. But it was only when a big group went over and as a group told them they were being idiots.

Likewise when a kid with a Z and no money comes on the list here and says he wants to go fast and he saw this wing in the fast and furious, we can all tell him he's a dumb@$$ and maybe it will have the same effect...

Forgot to mention in the previous post... the BEST thing I've seen on a rice car, and I've seen it a couple of times now, is the huge wing cavitating so that when you drive up next to the guy on the freeway it actually looks BLURRY! Now I check trunklids in the parking lots. If you see a lid that looks like it had a luggage rack torn off by a bear, that your ricer car post wing. Great stuff. Try to put 300 lbs of downforce on a Camry trunk lid and see what happens :lol:

Jon Mortensen

Guest kenafein240

This topic is kind of dragging on, but the way I see it is, if someone wants to spend their hard earned money to amuse me I'm not going to stop them. Some of these "Mods" are ridiculous. I saw an early 90s Tercel with a big fart pipe, one of those generic alluminium wings and a trash can hood scoop. It was really a trash can! A Matchbox trash can cut in half with flames down the side. This was attached to the hood, but onderneath it the hood was still intact. Some people just do tacky things, and yes, when they do them I'm going to laugh. I will not go out of my way to hurt someone's feelings, I might have to laugh on the inside, but it's funny and I just can't help it. The definition of "rice" is not concrete. I think anyone who makes there car perform ought to be given credit no matter the car, they are not ricers. Ricers are the people who do the ridiculous stuff like the hood scoop I mentioned. Or people who think they're racers driving cosmetically altered commuter cars, and finally ricers are people that really believe all the crap that comes out of their mouths. Whoever said that the import tuner guys hate ricers, they're right. They hate ricers just as much as the next guy, proably more, because everyone confuses these punks with them. Also, I agree with the CRX being a fun car. The CRX SI model is a blast to drive. I like three honda cars; the NSX, the s2000 and the CRX. The CRX with a b16 in it is quick and fun. I have seen a CRX win the best time of the day at an AutoX event, with a modified original engine. They are one of the best handling front wheel drive cars out there, and a great starting point for a car guy on a budget. So in summation, I give respect where it is deserved, and I try not to prejudge; but some things are just funny. I'll even respect those by not insulting their tastes, but I'm going to laugh, and if they ask my opinion I'll politely let them have it.

hmm... let's see.... Yep! I gotta couple of cents laying around too = )

I will admit to feeling a little heart pain every time I see a nice Z with a non-original powerplant in it. I was introduced to Z's by a crew that believed in the original car as it sat, give or take a few performance parts. I bought my first V8 240 because it had a flawless body (in Long Island, NY) and I had a very peppy 2.8 with a cam, nice exhaust, light flywheel, centerforce clutch, and 411 gears. (and a load of non-obvious cancer) I was planning on doing a transplant, and was hyped over how much faster it might be in the older, lighter body. :roll: That plan lasted until the seller power-braked just long enough to obscure the view out of the windshield. :twisted: I drove it and experienced torque in a Z for the first time. The motor swap never happened, obviously. But I still appreciate the HELL out of an original stocker.

I find myself as annoyed by the form-over function accessories of the ricer crowd as anyone, but I also realize that by no means did it start with them. Anyone care to count the number of american "Muscle" cars that had non-functional scoops and vents and intakes for hoods, fenders, and even roofs? How many firebirds did you see in the 70's and 80's with the huge chicken on the hood, or the overstated flames everywhere? But, in my opinion, altho all these things probably set the stage for rice as we know it.... what about all the low riders with hydralics and $15000 custom paint? What is it about any ricer that is more garish, flashy, impractical, or anti-performance than your average low-rider? :P

I have seen cars to admire for performance or style ever since I was a kid. I probably never really aspired to have my car look like a ricer, low-rider, or hopped-up 78 camero.... But I do respect being able to tell something about a person's talent, skills, or just determination to finish a project with some integrity, just by looking at their car.

I do chuckle from time to time over someones little "ricer-car". But I cant honestly tell you what is funnier to me, an accord with a fart pipe getting pulled by a scirocco, or a VERY rusty old CRX flat-out destroying a Stang with loads of Bling and a couple of Vin Diesel wannbee's.

The only thing I am fairly certain of is this.... My 240Z may be underestimated by some on the road, or (more likely = ) ignored, because it just doesnt look like a contender. But I will eat my hat the day anyone accuses me of being Rice, based on my cars appearance or exhaust note :-D

I think I noticed a post where some kid was listing his mods, which consisted of a wing, rims, steering wheel, ect. Quite possibly a ricer in the making. I dont think anyone needed to flame him for his tastes, or point out that all he was doing was adding weight to an already portly ZX.... Just point out that his post belonged in the Paint and Body thread. I have belonged to any number of forums, and I really think that any blatant flaming should just get recycled, with a quiet but direct PM to the offender. As for the ricers... they may be the next buyer of your sweetheart. Instead of scaring them off... just impress them with your car's performance and handling and style.... they will have a 30th birthday eventually, and probably will have tastes and values to match.

tannji

• 7 months later...

Anyone fit a Toronado Driveline to a Civic yet?

I helped with a similar conversion to a 69 Beetle once.

Yes, I am truly diseased. Driving "kamakazi crapwagons" in the Detriot area in the early 80's was not the most popular thing to do, and I know what it's like to be in the "ricer" catagory---I guess today they would call me "O.G. Ricer!".

I agree fully with the original post. Bravo.

Some of the rice mods I see every day make me laugh so hard I almost have to pull over. BUT... Around my area, some of these guys are getting smart. Starting to see a lot of engine swaps, custom fabricated turbo conversions on bone stock looking cars, real sleepers. Sure, its still a 4-door grocery getter, but with a nice big turbo they have a pretty good chance of being first in line at the grocery store =)

Those kind of cars aren't what I would call common yet, still many more with 500lbs of fiberglass, a fart pipe, and an engine with the displacement of a coke bottle. But the fast ones that don't look fast are starting to show up more often. Guess all the ragging these guys get from being all show and no go is making some go back to the drawing board for a new all go and no show design =)

Guest bastaad525
well being 16 and still in high school i think iunderstand why every one is on this honda craze simply cuz kids my age are extremely either uneducated about cars or about performance all together ive had kids actully tell me about why there na 89 celica is faster then my v-8 datsun cuz theres is FI and mine has a carburator and they have DOHC or v-tec or eco-tec or whatever tec it is now and they just dont understand that 4.6 (5.7 for most of u)-liter=from maybe 270-500+ and cut that to 1.8 liters and u can see the difference

ROFL too true... I LOVE to talk to people like that!! People who just have the oddest little 'facts' to spout... I remember this friend I had who believed that a cars top speed was whatever the speedo went up to. So she had this Mazda Protege, and I had my ZX with the fixed up 2.9 N/A motor at the time, which had it's 85mph speedo, and hers went up to like 140mph... so in her eyes there was no way my car was faster than hers. LOL!!! Man but she was stubborn... sure was fun to scare the hell out of her when I took her for a ride and showed her my Z's '85mph top speed'!!!

Personally, I got nothing against hondas, or any cars really. I've always been very big on responding to anyones 'challenges' on how great and fast hondas or whatever are, by just saying "with enough money you can make ANYTHING fast". I've seen a few CRX's or Integras running around turbocharged, and I have respect for that. They are also usually very low key... I only spot them or notice them at all either because there's a nice shiny intercooler peeking out fo the front, or I can hear the turbo whining and the BOV venting. Hell, I wouldn't mind owning a turbo'ed CRX... those cars are super light (the main reason I got a 240z) and front wheel drive or not they can HANDLE.

What I can't stand, and I think this goes for most of us, are these guys that do very little, or even nothing, to make there cars fast, instead just trying (usually way too hard) to make it LOOK fast. And then of course, driving around like an idiot, and with that wonderful exhaust sound. Of course 90% of these guys really think their cars ARE fast, and are cocky and a-holes about it, which is also annoying. It didn't start with them... I too remember the very fast looking but seldom fast going old musclecars from the 70's-80's... and that is just as annoying. I used to prefer american made muscle cars... until I actually owned a few of my own and found out that they really weren't as fast as they looked!

I think if I had one wish about the whole thing it would really just be... drop the attitude. You want you car to be nice? Cool, make it nice. You want your car to be fast? Great, make it fast. You want to do both? Even better, more power to you. Just dont be a jerk, and dont pretend it's something that's it's not.

Guest vegeta

As a 21 year old car fanatic, I gotta say that cars are cars. I used to be really into the whole muscle car scene, and hated the guys who just put on an exhaust and rims on their civic, but then I owned a couple 80's camaros and saw that there wasn't much difference. There were a lot of guys at my high school that had 5.0 mustangs with autos and just put on exhaust and rims (and only pulled 15's in the 1/4 mile) and they thought they were the sh!t. So it goes both ways. And one thing that I don't understand is why so many "rice haters" think its all about hondas. Most of the people that I know that are into imports are lusting for an Evolution VIII or a Supra or a WRX STI or an NSX or a 3000GT (all of which do low 13's in the 1/4 STOCK) or even.........a 350Z!!! So what if the guy in the Integra with vtec and giant wing, etc, only pulls low 15's- so does the kid in the 76 Firebird with fake hood scoop and "screaming chicken" paint. Except that integra gets 30mpg and is rated as the #1 most reliable car in America according to Consumer Reports. Besides, wouldn't the Z be considered a rice rocket? LOL

CARS ARE CARS

LOVE THE SPORT

LONG LIVE THE Z!!!!!

OK - I'm 55 and just a bit gray. Three times now I have driven the 280Z28 into the middle of a bunch of "ricers" in a parking lot, popped the hood, and spent literally hours having a great time talking cars with guys 1/3 my age. I love those guys. Many are obnoxious just because they get put down and ridiculed a lot. Once I show I'm just interested in cars it is great! They introduce themselves, shake hands, and have always been very respectful. I wouldn't necessarily want to drive what they have but I sure do appreciate what they put into them. Whether they do all the work themselves, or work and have someone else do it, the cars are extensions of themselves and they are proud of them - just like I am of mine.

In my case, the only time it's "Us vs. Them" is when the lights are ticking down on the tree - then that only lasts for less than 15 seconds.

My wife straightened me out on the us vs them years ago. Stopped at a light in my 71 Z8 next to a young man in a Cavalier , body kit, fart pipe , tires out of the wheel well, the works.

He was reving his engine some and his little girl friend was digging it .

I looked over and started to laugh at him when my wife asked why I was laughing , and wouldn't it make him feel bad . At this point I began to tell her all the silly things wrong with the car and her only response was "he likes, it so why is it a problem for you?"

OK so now I laugh to myself but try my darndest no to rain on someone elses parade.

Dennis