HybridZ

Lambo style door hinge kits in the ricer crowd.

Guest Perry

Guest Perry

I was at a car show the other day and saw a riced out honda with doors that open like a lamborghini, flipping forward. on closer inspection and some discussion with the owner it was a kit that bolted into place with no fabrication what-so-ever. it used the stock door latches by requiring you to open the door outward like normal a few inches then swing the door up. It looked very well done with nicely made parts, a gas strut, and an elegant design. Unfortunately the guy was not interested at all in the design of it, he just ordered it and bolted it in. He wouldn't let me close/open it either so I wonder if there's something cooky about the way it works. I thought it was a cool idea and I can't seem to find a web site or pics of them on the web. Anyone seen these?

I've always wanted to do gull wing doors on my Z, I've come real close a few times but lack of headroom and cutting the roof has scared me off it.

Perry

Guest Perry

Ok I finally found the site,

http://www.decah.net

There is no real technical content here but the design is rather simple and easy to figure out anyway. my guess is they are using ball joints from some random car as the hinge point.

Perry

Guest Anonymous

Some interesting links, the first is just some general information about the different kind of doors, links down the bottom go to resources to buy parts etc.

http://www.statikdesign.com/scratchbuilt/body/doors.html

This link actually has some more detailed images on how the doors kits work. It would be awesome to adapt this kit to the Z car. Follow the link to Kit Car hinges and check out 1A and 1B hinges.

http://www.iserv.net/%7estrdream/hinges_production.html

Personally, I would love the ability to lift the door if required, as I sometime feel like I have wings in tight parking spaces. 280ZX doors are pretty huge!

P.S. These links were ripped from one of the members pages, not sure who...

those kits are garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we did some work on a turbo show car integra, straight rice machine

it had a t04e/t03 drag kit on it for three years, and its so poorly tuned it can bearly hang with a stock GSR! every thing you can imagine jdm

bride seats, the crazy jspec door panels, every strut brace imaginable

black lights in the speaker box HKS galore in the engine bay

dvd blah blah blah- had to replace his fpr, and i would touch the tuning on that car, it had those MAP bypass valves-complete crap if you ask me.

ok he had those crazy doors, they are flimsier than crap

if you open the door and let it hang in the air right----the air, not the wind, just the air from people talking and moving around---makes the door hinge assembly flex around, after time thats gonna take its toll on the assembly, and that lambo do' is gonna fall on the flo'

Those dumb things are just bling bling. Like those stupid flip flop trunks it don't make the car better. Take a look at the size of the opening with the doors up. Looks like you have to crawl under the door to get in and out.

You want scissor doors, buy a Lambo. Otherwise it looks like a sows ear on a silk purse.

JMHO

I'm with Dan. More in-your-face crazy stuff from the ricer crowd. Reminds me of Pro Street and the Van craze.

To me, the doors on Hondas and probably any car not designed to

have Lambo doors look like rectangles hanging in the air at angle

that is not pleasing.

I wonder what wild stuff they'll come up with next. How much money can you drop into a sedan to make it look wild? It's a sedan, it's not ever going to be as PLEASANTLY shocking as a Lambo.

Just my opinion.

Guest Perry

maybe the flimsey is why he wouldn't let me close it. I can't believe the price either, but I bet they sell a bunch in the ricer crowd. I have always liked the idea of gull wing doors, that open like a delorean, but after looking at it a few times decided I didn't want to cut up my nice Z to do it. There's not quite enough head room for my 6'2" frame and overhead door structure. Just for giggles though, the next little beater car I get for work may end up with them. I just wanna fabricate some and see what they are like to live with, I know it's crazy.

Perry

• 1 month later...
Guest zline

i think it looks cool on lambos ;) thats about it...

if i had a small eg6 civic i'd weld the rear hatch and passenger door smooth it and strip the whole thing down to 1700 lbs and put a 220hp n/a high comp vtec monster and paint it....i dont know something funky like super metallic green with orange pearl :D

okay let me come back from rice land.

*back*

civics are fun they're small and light if you make a proper engine for them you can even have a good time at the racetrack (not drag strip) but, i'll always be a z guy at heart even if im not tinkering with them.

how'd that get so off topic *sigh*

every now and then I've seen those hinge setups advertised on Ebay for cars. Technically the issues I see are Z doors are just to boxy to swing up. The picture above shows how little room there is for egressing the car with those doors. Cosmetically lambo style doors just don't look that good on the Z. Money better spent elswhere.

Guest BigWhyteDude

ive got a pic of a skiline with gull wingish doors on it. The door and part of the roof pivets it looks really cool on the skiline if i knew how to i would post the pic :(