HybridZ

IS A RB26DETT STREET LEGAL?

CUBAN

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx84ae
why wouldn't it be street legal? i don't under stand how it could be street legal in a 240z and not in a 280zx

thanks

alex

A '73 is old enough to circumvent the current emissions laws. An '81 is not.

I don't think that is accurate. The RB should NEVER be legal in a US car. The RB was never certified or sold here in the US, therefore, to the best of my understanding, is completely illegal for a car used on the road. It makes no difference if it is a pre 73 car in CA, as it had to be built to some US standard at some point. If someone disagrees, please provide a link to proof showing otherwise, not just "my buddy has a XX motor in his 71".

That is following the letter of the law. Will it stop me from building mine? No, but you should understand the rules you chose to break.

-Bob

I believe Bob is correct. It's probably not street legal in any car. Although, with mods the referees might be persuaded to pass it. I don't really know.

As the other guys posted, you have a better chance of not getting caught if it's installed in a pre-'74 vehicle. It's not that it's legal in pre '74s, it's that anything manufactured before then is not required to go through emissions testing.

If you were pulled over in an RB powered '71 240Z and the officer was able to see under the hood and was astute enough to recognize what was in there, you could still be in trouble.

I had a 280Z that I sold in favor of a 240Z for just that reason. I may still get in trouble but, the chances are less with a 240...

Bob,

I agree in principal with your point, but a company called motorex has been importing DOT/EPA certified Skylines for a couple years now. I believe they modify the engines and list themselves as the manufacturer, so this doesn't mean a Motorex RB26DETT == Nissan RB26DETT.

However, if you were to obtain a motor through them, maybe you could make it legal?

Anyhow, if it is possible to do this legally it is probably only a little more difficult than sawing your arm off with a pen knife.

Guest Anonymous

oltmann is right I know a guy at motorex that said he could hook me up with a skyline frontclip and if I paid him for the engine and installation he could make it street legal I'm not gonna tell you what car I am putting it into because I dont want you fuckers taking my idea away but you go to motorex and work out a deal with a guy named Jebuh he'll hook you up and make your shit street legal.

oh and btw what is up with the curse sensors ? are these forums for like baby cocks or what ?

No, these forums are for the mature discussion of Mods to the Z.

Young kids DO find this site (I'm glad of that) and we have the curse sensor on for that reason.

There is a fairly important difference with what you are talking about. First, I am well aware of Motorex, as I have a RB26dett, though not through them.

There is a big difference between making an entire car legal according to DOT's rules and legalizing a motor,(of which there is no procedure or guidelines, i.e. you can't do it). DOT has made certain rules to legalize a non US origin car. It is much, much eaiser for cars that were also sold in the US originally, even if w/o the same motor. It involves putting catalytic converters, DOT legal windshields, different bumpers if required,(think of the old Lamborghini Countach and the huge bumpers) among other changes. For cars that were not originally sold in the US, the importer must crash test a few models to prove that they meet the US standards. The importer is licenced to do this.

The motor by itself is an entirely different matter. I'm not blowing smoke here, and again, unless you have absolute proof, i.e. a link to the law, I'd bet good money what I said was dead on as I have researched it for some time.

Not saying people don't put motors in, or haven't before, but it has never been legal. It just isn't something that is checked. Again, be aware of what rules you are choosing to break.

-Bob

bob,

When i was in california if the car only needed a tailpipe test becasue of its age. they didnt care what motor you had in it. im pretty sure that if you had a pre emmisions car that you could have anything in there and be legal. now if it is an emissions car and you put a later model motor in it will be required to meet all the rules for whatever year was applicable for that motor. In a way i think you are right though. but if its not required to even open the hood and look how you gonna get caught ;>