HybridZ

unbelievable ripoff story

David K

I am saddend that this happens! Im even MORE saddened that it takes this long to get closure and settlement.....

Part 1...

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e21/forum.php?postid=3378984&page=1

Part 1 continued....

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e21/forum.php?postid=3379064&page=1

I usually dont read long long posts like that, but i started reading and i couldnt stop. Crazy crap.

You should never go 3000 miles away to find a car! How stupid can one person be? There are lemons right in your own back yard that you can waste your money on.

There were enough red flags thrown up upon the intitial inspection of this heap to make him go back home without it.

Finding a Decent E30 M3 can be a bit of a challenge, I can understand that he probably got excited and giddy at the site of this one, But please...

If i was buying a car and saw that the title wasnt in the sellers name, and not even signed, I would tell the seller to kiss my bum, and the walk away. But, I can understand getting ready to live a dream of driving a badass M3 across the country, and getting alittle ahead of myself. (or letting known problems slip by)

Live and learn...but the guy bought a corvette later! WTF is wrong with that guy. :lol:

I f he bought a Z06 He will spank that M3 all day long. M3=over rated..just my opinion.

I don't see what this has to do with anything. :P If you've driven an E30 M3 I don't think you would think its overrated at all... It's a bare bones race car, with an engine that screams, and gobs of roadholding. Yes, a Z06 would be faster, but at 5 times the cost. :P A McLaren F1 would be faster too. Why didn't he just buy that?

The later M3's (95 on) I've been in are certainly a different beast than the E30 though. More along the lines of the Z06, albeit slower.

Yes, a Z06 would be faster, but at 5 times the cost. :P A McLaren F1 would be faster too.

My neighbor says he will sell me a new Z06 in the $50-$60K range.

According to this site

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bmw_m3.asp

a new M3 lists at just under $50K.

Compare the M3 to the Z06 by looking at this site

http://www.z06vette.com/01.php

The M3 is 300 pounds heavier, has 50 less HP (at 7900 RPM!!) and downright skinny tires compared to the vette.

No question which car I would rather have. Of course I probably would not look as cool with the Seattle Starbucks crowd.

This particular M3 was also bondo'd together (literally) from 3 stolen M3's. That is why the guy was so quick to overlook all the problems. The car was selling for way under what even run down used M3's sell for.

I understand that and I would much prefer a Z06 over an M3 anyday as well. I've ridden in a Z06 on a small road course and that thing was awesome. :D

It was a 89 BMW you can not compare that to a 2003 Z06

2003 M3 to a 2003 Z06 you can compare.

Says who? Personally I would say the 89 M3 is 10 times the car that the more recent M3 is. (Though I haven't been in anything newer than a 95 M3)

This case was a $10000 car vs. a $50000 car, hence the cost was 5X. Which is the comparison that was being made if I am not mistaken. (look at the post by zfan)

And to appease the masses: Yes I've been in a Z06. No doubt, they are a fast car, and they handle and brake extremely well. They are also a bargain when comparing to most other cars in their class. The same was said about the e30 M3 back when it came out...

Personally, I think both the new Z06 and the new M3 are both overweight pigs... But I suppose the same has been said of me, and hey, it's just an opinion. ;)

This case was a $10000 car vs. a $50000 car, hence the cost was 5X.

Not to be a PITA, but the $10K car was really a $0 car. Being stolen it was worth absolutely nothing. The old saying "if it looks too good to be true.." is certainly illustrated by this story. The idea that an absolutely flawless car could sell for half the average price of comparable cars should have told that guy everything he needs to know.

Now if you want to compare a 3 year old M3 that isn't the product of a chop shop to a 3 year old vette, then you have an apples to apples comparison. New they are both $50K cars.

The Z06 weights in at 3140 pounds. I was a little suprised. That is not that horrible in this day and age. Especially when the 350Z with it's smaller everything comes in around 3500#.

Get the vette, strip off the AC, airbags and leather seats and I bet you could get that thing down to the same weight as most of the 280's on this site. Add a cam and some forced induction.....

Not to be a PITA, but the $10K car was really a $0 car. Being stolen it was worth absolutely nothing. The old saying "if it looks too good to be true.." is certainly illustrated by this story. The idea that an absolutely flawless car could sell for half the average price of comparable cars should have told that guy everything he needs to know.

I 100% agree, and wasn't trying to say otherwise. There is a lot of crap out there for sure.

The Z06 weights in at 3140 pounds. I was a little suprised. That is not that horrible in this day and age. Especially when the 350Z with it's smaller everything comes in around 3500#.

Get the vette, strip off the AC, airbags and leather seats and I bet you could get that thing down to the same weight as most of the 280's on this site. Add a cam and some forced induction.....

Not arguing this point either. 3140lbs isn't that bad really.

E30 M3's came in at ~2640lbs stock, with 195hp-238hp, depending on the model. There were 13 versions of the e30 M3 made by BMW! It wasn't blinding in a straight line, 0-60 in about 6.0 seconds... It was also designed to take up to 10" wide wheels. But its what it does in the corners that is cool. :) Not to say any car short of the AMC gremlin can't be made to handle with the right mods.

Guest ON3GO

i have a Z06 sitting in my garage right now.. its my dads but ill say its mine for now hehe.

its a nice car.. very fast, handles great, brakes awesome.

interior is ok, but its a chevy so what can you say.

it was bought new like 3 mounts ago.. and it was only 46 grand... brand new 2003 Z06, electron Blue. its got about a 1000 miles on it now.

it was weighed in at 3041lbs on the scale at the dealership.

that was with a half of tank of gas and nobody in it.

dyno numbers will come soon also.