HybridZ

Dyno results!

SleeperZ

Ran a baseline and did a little tuning on the dyno today. I was anxious to see how the trap speed calculations correlated to dyno measurements. My trap speed of 108 said I had 280hp to the wheels (the ET calculator shows only 250hp.) After a little tweeking, the DynoJet shows I have 313hp to the wheels, and 417 torque! Still running about 15-16 psi boost, I need to fine tune the boost controller to get rid of the slight spiking. But the A/F ratios were good, about 12.7:1 to 13.0 to 1, and nice and flat.

I'm running the Z31 factory turbo ECU with a modified MAF sensor and SVO 370cc injectors.

Wow! that's outstanding.

I expect that you have nicely balanced mods resulting is such nice Hp and torque output. Specially with a factory CPU and I guess relatively stock motor ? (yes/no?)

Would you mind posting all the relevant mods you have. I would like to compare it to what I have done, i.e. T3T4, 60mm throtle body, MSD, 3"exhaust, rebuild stock P90 head,original bottom end and what I am planning to do next, which is a Z31 swap before I install the supra TT intercooler (one step at a time so I don't confuse myself too much when it doesn't work out on the first run).

ALso what do you mean by modified MAF ? and is that what's allowing you to run the 370cc injectors with correct air/fuel.

I think I would be grinning like an idiot with 417 ft-lb torque on tap whithout having fully depleting my savings account (oops, too late).

Nice job man :2thumbs:

sweet. I got a Q for you Nathan. What's your base timing? I'm just tuning in my Z31 swap but I hhave to have the timing real high to run right. my base is 22 deg BTDC. I think my crank pulley isn't so accurate. I guess I need to find the true TDC tonight. :D

Thanks for the props.

Mods on a rock-stock motor and Felpro head gasket:

Hybrid turbo, stock T3 turbine, TO4 V trim compressor

Bosch fuel pump, AEM FPR, 370cc injectors

Spearco intercooler

Z31 ignition and ECU

ScottyGNZ's stainless downpipe/3" mandrel bent exhaust/Dynomax ultraflow muffler

Weber 60mm throttlebody

Centerforce II clutch, working but slipping on launch.

Initial timing is 20*BTDC.

The MAF sensor was removed from it's housing and installed in my (larger) intake pipe, and this is how I run normal A/F ratios on larger injectors.

I've got to get my used ClutchMasters clutch put in soon, I run the strip again in 2 weeks - I got the clutch from Shane, he ran low 12s, high 11s using it. I'll see if I can get my dyno chart scanned and uploaded on Monday.

Guest bastaad525

That T04 compressor, I'm assuming the actual turbo housing is all stock and you just changed a fan? Or did you change half of the turbo completely? How hard/expensive is it to upgrade your turbo this way? Lots of people recommend T3/04's but they're pretty expensive to buy a whole unit.

Bernard: The turbo is just a stock unit with a TO4 fan and housing bolted on. I paid way too much for it, back when I didn't know what I wanted. It was advertised by Jim Cook Racing (same outfit that "sells" the Camden supercharger for Zs) as a "20% higher flow" turbo upgrade. It was $700 five years ago, and now you could probably get a real nice unit for that kind of cash.

I did a few fuel pressure increases, as it was running leaner when I started, and I may increase it by 1 or 2 more psi just to stay on the safe side as I increase boost from 15psi.

Guest JAMIE T

I think your A/F is a tad lean for a forced induction set-up. It's best(safer) to keep it in the 12.5 range. That is the way we tune street cars for safe daily operation.

I think your A/F is a tad lean for a forced induction set-up. It's best(safer) to keep it in the 12.5 range. That is the way we tune street cars for safe daily operation.

I hear you. I wasn't too worried during the pulls, as I had a few gallons of 100 octane in the tank. My base FP is running about 42-43 psi, and I think I'll increase it to about 45.

i think thats a pretty slick move with the maf to get it run good on 370cc injectors, and those are awesome numbers, whats next on the upgrade list now? that 400+ torque number is nuts. everytime i drive my car hard, i start respecting the strength and power of the turbo motor, yesterday i went to 13psi and ran it hard basically all night long, was getting some spark knock around 6k, pulled the plugs, and they were grey and orangey, the way i likes em. anyways keep up the good work, i wanna see 20psi numbers!!!!

Here is the dyno graph. The scanner made it rediculously large. I resized it to 800x600, but it's hard to see the details...

album_pic.php?pic_id=1371

I don't know if they were measuring rpm correctly. Just because the hp and torque cross at 5250 doesn't make it right, does it? They had a single pickup on my coil wire, and entered the ignition event in the DynoJet software as occurring every 100*. That is wrong - the ignition event is 120*. Hmmm, the hp peak at 4500 rpm seems low, unless I just can't keep the torque up with that stock turbine...

that dyno does look kind of funny. Looks almost like your cam too advanced and peaking power early. The power band should be wider than that specially with stock turbine wheel.

But, z31 MAF setup does seem to fall on it's face early in my car. it's almost like it takes too much timing.

Thanks for the props.

Mods on a rock-stock motor and Felpro head gasket:

Hybrid turbo, stock T3 turbine, TO4 V trim compressor

Bosch fuel pump, AEM FPR, 370cc injectors

Spearco intercooler

Z31 ignition and ECU

ScottyGNZ's stainless downpipe/3" mandrel bent exhaust/Dynomax ultraflow muffler

Weber 60mm throttlebody

Centerforce II clutch, working but slipping on launch.

Initial timing is 20*BTDC.

The MAF sensor was removed from it's housing and installed in my (larger) intake pipe, and this is how I run normal A/F ratios on larger injectors.

I thought I saw in other posts that you are running an aftermarket turbo cam and had some head work done. Not trying to pry, but just checking in case those mods help to get into this torque range.